yippee a new HTPC!

FraGGleR

Limp Gawd
When I originally built my current computer, it was a gaming computer with an AIW card. As I read this forum, I got hooked on the world of HTPC's and converted it to an HTPC by lying it on its side (ghetto) and tossing in a PVR500 and Meedio+Sage. While I have loved it (and so has my wife, thankfully), it was the only computer we had so anytime someone needed the computer, the other couldn't watch tv or a movie. This is irksome to the missus, so I have the go ahead to build a new rig. No budget other than be as cheap as possible. I am one of those guys who can't bear the thought of budget components so I have been digging for quite sometime and it seems the market is starting to provide good components for good prices.

Here is what I am looking at for my new HTPC (contigent upon cash from Christmas of course). I welcome, nay, thrive on critiques or comments.

proc: $139 Athlon64 3200 (decently powerful, cool and quiet, used a 20%off coupon from dell)
mb: $105ish Asus A8N-VM CSM (microatx mb with 6150 onboard graphics, dvi out, and spdif header) includes $15 to get the spdif bracket.
hd: $105ish Maxtor Maxline III 250GB SATA HD (I would prefer a Samsung, but the Maxtor is cheaper and more readily found. still pretty quiet and has a 5 year warranty)
ram: $80ish 1gb (2x512mb) Corsair value select (1gb is overkill for htpc, but this system is one nice graphics card away from being a decent gaming rig)
pvr card: $0 (i have this already and it can be had for maybe $135) Hauppauge PVR500 mce (dual tuner hardware based card).
case: $140 Silverstone LC17b (this is my splurge item, it has 80mm exhaust fans which is rare for a dedicated HTPC - means I can quiet it down easier while still maintaining good cooling, I have some nice panaflos lying around that I can use.)
powersupply: $60 Seasonic S12-330 (according to silentpcreview.com one of the best powersupplies for quietness and efficiency).
frontend and pvr: $20 upgrade to Meedio Pro (I am looking for seemless integration right now, so hopefully the Meedio TV component will be competent and I won't have to program my remote for Sagetv again).
Using an existing DVD drive and copy of XP pro.

So for a grand total of about $650 I have what I think is a kickass HTPC that should be able to handle anything I throw at it. If Santa is kind, I should have this up and running within a month.

Where are you getting the spdif bracket from, I'm been hunting around for them for days...

This is nit-picking, but IMHO, get a 300GB Seagate for around $100 after rebates. This has been a pretty consistent price on this drive (if you can't find it today you can surely find it soon).

FraGGleR said:
You sure that's the right one? I'm sure you could rig it either way but Asus has a few different types, getting the right one can prevent a minor hassle. Whatever you do, don't blindly install one without being sure of the pin schematic, otherwise you'll fry the header, i've had it happen to a soundstorm mobo and i wasn't happpy about it :(.

That seller has a few different kinds it seems: http://computers.search.ebay.com/_C...fsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ31491QQsassZcatQ2ebuddy

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have been reading that the new Seagates aren't as quiet as Seagate's reputation makes you think they are. I really like the Samsungs due to their use of only 2 platters, but they are either over priced or out of stock most places. The HD is probably the last thing that I will buy, as I have 2 in my current PC and can borrow one for now. I will definitely keep my eyes out for the Seagates when I do buy another HD. Thanks.

SJetski71 said:
You sure that's the right one? I'm sure you could rig it either way but Asus has a few different types, getting the right one can prevent a minor hassle. Whatever you do, don't blindly install one without being sure of the pin schematic, otherwise you'll fry the header, i've had it happen to a soundstorm mobo and i wasn't happpy about it :(.

That seller has a few different kinds it seems: http://computers.search.ebay.com/_C...fsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ31491QQsassZcatQ2ebuddy

Yeah, that did cross my mind. Once I get the board, I will check the pinout and make sure I get the right one. I am having the darnedest time finding the brackets on the asus website. It would be so nice if they would sell them directly if they aren't going to ship them with the boards. Silly manufacturers. If you are going to make a board targeted to htpc's, why not just build it in?

quick question to the experienced. do you think a high efficiency 330 watt powersupply like the seasonic will be sufficient for this rig? it might host a graphics card as powerful as a 7800gt at the extreme, but most likely something like a 6600gt down the line. SPCR did some real world power draw testing, and their pentium dual core system with a 6800gt didnt draw more than about 280 at the max. i believe that the 7800gt is actually less powerhungry, and my cpu is certainly less power hungry. I could step up to the 380 watt, but i want to save as many pennies as I can. thanks!

My thoughts:
The 330w PSU would probably be fine, but I've also learned not to skimp on PSUs. Honestly, if you need to save the money, start with like 512MB RAM or something and get the upgraded PSU then move to 1GB RAM down the road when funds are better.
I had to upgrade from a 350W Antec smartpower recently when my P4/X800XT/2 SATA HD's system was becoming unstable.
How much is the price difference?
I think a little extra for a better PSU is always a good investment.

I have a 300 watt coolermaster PSU in my server. It has 6 hard drives and is a p4 2.66. no problems. of course, there is 0 graphics utilization. I am running a 200 watt in my clients and it is stable. the trick is getting a good solid PSU. There is some good info here...

http://silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

also, the new seagates have been reviewed for noise levels...
Seagate 7200.9 drives have been reviewed at The Tech Report. The good news for silent PC aficionados: The 160BG single-platter model boasts the lowest sound output of any drive the Tech Report has ever tested
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/seagate-7200.9/index.x?pg=1

plus, seagate might be buying maxtor. doesn't have much to do with your decision. but interesting...

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9177

Back