Yet another "What Remote?" Thread

one swell foop

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm making a HTPC with the following:
Case: Lian Li: PC-AO5B (Until I can get a Silverston GD08B)
Mobo: MSI P35 Neo 2FR
CPU: Core 2 Duo e4200
VidCard: 8800GTS 512
Storage: To be determined, waiting on holiday price drops

Now, what remote do I need?
I will need to purchase an IR sensor depending on this, right?
I have a windows remote for use with my xbox. I should be able to easily configure that to work, yes?
I figure the tile interface is well configured to work with a remote. I just don't really want to have to mess with a keyboard and mouse on a daily basis, unless a keyboard with a trackpad would be the best solution (and would give me the ability to easily hop into a browser and search for/watch videos on youtube, vimeo, etc)

I want something where the interface won't be clunky. Hell, I wish I could just get a cheap android tablet (like a refurb nook color) and use that as a remote, but I haven't seen much out there about that.

I know the above information probably leaves out a lot of considerations, but this is my first htpc build.

What other things should I be thinking about? Does anyone have any opinions given the above information? Thanks in advance!

Is a Harmony out of the question? They take a little bit to setup, but are totally worth it, and can control ALL of your devices...

Harmony isn't out of the question, however, knowing myself, I'd want the most expensive one. I;m trying to get out of this as cheaply as possible with the most functionality possible.

I know this thread is a couple days old, but I purchased a Logitech diNovo Mini Keyboard ($70) a couple weeks ago and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011FOOI2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It works via Bluetooth. I have the USB bluetooth adapter plugged into the back of the HTPC, plus the front doors (solid wood) are closed on the cabinet. Still works great from 15' away on my sofa or recliner. It has 2 modes -- Remote control and regular mouse/keyboard.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have Win/Media Center.

I've gone through every type of remote that is conceivable (WMC standard remote; di novo mini; a few other trackpad/keypad brands running over RF; lenovo mini wireless kb with ball mouse on RF; number of harmonies; motrola's "pulse eight"; etc).

They all sort of worked well but I couldn't stand IR anymore.

I started using Tivo Slide (bluetooth) and programmed it with some intercept software. I could not be happier. Here is an example: http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/04/27/using-a-tivo-slide-remote-with-windows-media-center/

I use the lenovo for stuff where I need better mouse navigation, but I rarely leave the 10' gui.

Back