yet another what pc would you choose question!

Ryokurin

[H]F Junkie
I've pretty much decide on the the A64 in this situation, but im just testing the waters to make sure that im on the right track. Keep in mind that this is for an HTPC I highly doubt that I will use any of these pcs as my main machine as my XP at 2.3ghz is fine at the moment.

Fry's has two mainboard and processors for sale this weekend. a 3.2ghz P4 on a Via mainboard (1m cache versions) for 209 and they have a 2800+ Athlon 64 and unspecificed mainboard for 169 (im betting its a micro atx msi board I saw there) and thus its unknown if cool n quiet works on it.

being that they are close in price if they have both which would you get? this machine will basically be a SageTV and mame box. encodeing what it encoded that day to divx at night.

well, what case are you using? Also, it would help to know exactly what boards they are. I probably won't ahve a chance to go by there, so maybe give them a call or go by there and get the mobo models.

oh god, do not put a 3.2E in an htpc. a 3.2c with hyperthreading might allow you to encode and do other things as long as the encoding is set to a lower priority. but definitely use the a64 combo over the prescott combo

Well, I ended up getting an better model a Athlon 64 3000+ and a Lanparty nf3 250gb. Im going to move my current pc a 2500+ overclocked to 2.31ghz and use it as the HTPC keeping it in the same case I have now (Antec Sonata) I had a Shuttle XPC with a 2800+ that I was using but I burned out two PVR-250s in it over the past six months because of the heat. Im going to turn it into a Linux box to learn Myth which I may eventually put on the nforce 2 board.

djskankho said:
oh god, do not put a 3.2E in an htpc. a 3.2c with hyperthreading might allow you to encode and do other things as long as the encoding is set to a lower priority. but definitely use the a64 combo over the prescott combo

why not? heat?

IDversusEGO said:
why not? heat?
yes!

Ry,
proly a good choice in upgrading the main box. that 2500+ will be good for a htpc, maybe not oc'd to 2.3ghz though ;)

IDversusEGO said:
why not? heat?
Yup. The newer Prescotts are much cooler then the orginal Prescottt but they are still hotter then then an A64 chip (with or without "Cool n Quiet"). If your building an HTPC you'll want to stay away from Intel's new stuff for now, the Northwood chips are good though.

CrimandEvil said:
Yup. The newer Prescotts are much cooler then the orginal Prescottt but they are still hotter then then an A64 chip (with or without "Cool n Quiet"). If your building an HTPC you'll want to stay away from Intel's new stuff for now, the Northwood chips are good though.
I knew about that, I was just seeing if there was another reason.

I purchased an A64 3000+ for my HTPC and got the retail version... in most peoples experience, is the stock cooler fine for a non-overclocked A64?

Milehigh said:
I purchased an A64 3000+ for my HTPC and got the retail version... in most peoples experience, is the stock cooler fine for a non-overclocked A64?
yes, otherwise AMD would not warranty that as a stock piece. now overclocking ro a case with poor ventilation like a Matx crammed with a high speed video card, sound card and dual tuners might require a little better. ;)

At this point, I have the D.Vine 4, a 9800 Pro I'll mod with the Arctic Cooler, 2 Seagate hard drives, a NEC DVD burner, and a Hauppauge 250. Sound built in, video card heat being exited out the back of the case... I hope it is all good. Once I get my DFI Lanparty mobo, I'll be eyeing spots for an intake fan, but no sense getting too excited until some of the parts arrive.

Today I'm building a screen for my new Panny 700U, so I'll worry about the technical stuff later this week :)

IDversusEGO said:
yes, otherwise AMD would not warranty that as a stock piece. now overclocking ro a case with poor ventilation like a Matx crammed with a high speed video card, sound card and dual tuners might require a little better. ;)

Back