Yet another threadripper 1950X cooling question

rdsii64

n00b
I just recently finished building a budget threadipper build. It consists of a 1950X on an Asrock X399 phantom gaming 6. It has 32 gigs of LPX vengance 2600 and an RX5600XT Thicc Pro II. It's built in a Rosewill 4U RSV-4500L chassis. My machine isn't water cooled. Its cooled with a Noctua NH-U9-TR4-SP3 and running at stock speeds. After doing a lot of reading I think I have this Tctl vs Tdie thing pretty much worked out. (I hope). If I'm right, Tdie is the actual temp. Tctl is used to keep the fans ahead of the heat curve. With no over clocks, I shouldn't have any issues. (but I do) Now stuff gets weird.

My understanding is that at 68C the 1950X will start throttling. The catch is that my Tdie temps go above 68C during prime95, and the system does not throttle. Again, I'm talking about the Tdie temp here. Out of fear, I have always stoped prime95 when the Tdie gets to 75C (the system is still running at the the all core boost of 3.7 ghz). Am I missunderstanding what I am seeing, or is something wrong?

Last edited:
it shouldn't start throttling at 68C.. i remember seeing that come up a lot back when they first came out but that was because some boards/bios were following the tctl temp and was later fixed in newer bios to follow the tdie temp.

it shouldn't start throttling at 68C.. i remember seeing that come up a lot back when they first came out but that was because some boards/bios were following the tctl temp and was later fixed in newer bios to follow the tdie temp.
The strangest thing happened this morning when I got home from work. ( I works nights) I fired up prime95 over a plate of waffles and this time when the Tdie temps got to 67.75, it started to throttle. During the 40 minute stress test, when the temps dropped, the clock speed went back up. The clock speeds fluctuated between 3.2 and 3.7 ghz but the temp never got above 67.75. I have no idea why it would not do that yesterday. It seems now its doing what its supposed to do.
I'm not that worried any more, but I still would like to know what is different now and why it wouldn't do this yesterday.

maybe the chipset drivers installed through windows update, or maybe windows power management. dunno only two i can thing of.

but yeah i was wrong about the throttle temp, in auto settings it does throttle at 68C but when overclocking it'll go up to ~86C or what ever.

The strangest thing happened this morning when I got home from work. ( I works nights) I fired up prime95 over a plate of waffles and this time when the Tdie temps got to 67.75, it started to throttle. During the 40 minute stress test, when the temps dropped, the clock speed went back up. The clock speeds fluctuated between 3.2 and 3.7 ghz but the temp never got above 67.75. I have no idea why it would not do that yesterday. It seems now its doing what its supposed to do.
I'm not that worried any more, but I still would like to know what is different now and why it wouldn't do this yesterday.

Check your power consumption. Temps are not the only limiting factor.

Back