Yet another reason to say "Outlook Express Sucks"

whisper

Limp Gawd
Outlook Express hijacked my IMAP mail folder!! The story goes like this:

I recently switched hard drives and had to reinstall windows and all my apps. I didn't have my MS Office CDs at the time (my copies were at work) so I decided to temporarily use Outlook Express for email even though I don't normally use it. Well, I use an IMAP mail server and OE decided to rearrange all my IMAP folders into a new directory that it named "mail". Okay, weird, but all the messages seemed to be there. I decided nonetheless that I didn't like that very much, so I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird and gave it a try. To my surprise, the "mail" folder created by OE seemed to be invisible and my original folders no longer existed. The next day, I installed Office and found that Outlook was also unable to see this mysterious "mail" folder, and again all my original folders were gone. I cofirmed all this throughout the process by logging onto my mail server directly (I have a web-based maintenance site I can log onto). Apparently, OE rendered my email folders useless to anything other than itself. What a piece of work.

I decided to use Thunderbird from now on, at least at home, where I was able to import all my mail from the local folders I created in OE, but I will NEVER run OE again much less use it for email. I guess I'm not asking for much help here since I worked everything out, but I felt the need to rant!

My message to everyone: DON"T USE OE!!! If you must use Microsoft, at least use Outlook which has been alright for me at work, or take advantage of some of the great free clients out there (like Mozilla or Thunderbird). Even if you don't have to/want to deal with IMAP, you are still making yourself vulnerable to all the many viruses and worms that are tailor made to propogate through OE (and Outlook as well) if you use those clients.

Thanks for listening :p

No kidding. OE blows.

IMAP is sensitive cuz the arrangement and naming of folders does vary and mail clients like their own format. But, leave it up to MS to implement it differently between OE and Outlook.

Back