Yet another Asus rma horror story

Psych2l

Limp Gawd
I'm usually an Evga guy when it comes to video cards, but I decided to give Asus a chance when I got the 780ti. It was factory overclocked but was not pushed past stock, and ended up dying about a year into the warranty. I made the rookie mistake of getting support through the vip support portal but that ended up being a waste of time wading through a lot of red tape tinged with a distinct lack of native english speakers, ugh.

FYI if you want any semblance of english speaking support you have to call asus to even get to the RMA stage. After jumping through all the hoops (including downgrading to windows 7 from windows 10), I sent the card in for a RMA repair where it arrived on 11/25. I gave them a full week to give them a chance to take a look and was told they couldn't repair the card and were in the process of "procuring" a replacement. They couldn't tell me a general timetable on when a replacement could be "procured," so I elected to call them every couple of days since their sad excuse for a RMA status page never updated throughout this whole odyssey. Basically ASUS the company doesn't have any more 780ti cards, and you're apparently SOL if you send one in, 3 year warranty my ass. Anyway fast forward to 12/10 and asus tech Robert Tinsley sends me an email saying that Asus is willing to upgrade my 780ti to a GTX 970. That's all well and good except the 970 benches 5-15% slower than the 780ti, and I don't really give a damn about power efficiency in a desktop environment so I asked if a GTX 980 could be sent instead seeing as how it's not really upgrading when you're being sent a replacement that is for all intents and purposes slower than the one it's replacing.

Several business days later and the "upgrade team" which is in charge of exchanges such as this has yet to even respond to my request, and Robert Tinsley is awol at this point. I've already emailed cjolene at asus and never got a response from her, so I figured I'd make a thread to make some noise. My question to you all is should I cave and go for the 970 or stick to my guns. The 780ti was part of a SLI pair so I'm taking a performance hit regardless, but it's the principle of it all :cool:

In any case I've never had such a terrible rma experience, seriously stick to evga, those guys are pro.

The warranty generally covers a replacement card of equal or lesser value. You cannot expect a company to keep stock in a card that is that old.

But Asus taking forever on the RMA... is not acceptable.

The warranty generally covers a replacement card of equal or lesser value. You cannot expect a company to keep stock in a card that is that old.

But Asus taking forever on the RMA... is not acceptable.

I disagree, they should have a stock of the card as long as the warranty period is valid, otherwise it would be impossible to service them within the 3 year period.

As far as I am aware, cjolene no longer works at ASUS. I was pretty sure that I was told by her that she was going to work for Intel. This was when I had my motherboard RMA nightmare.

Maybe Raja can comment?

I disagree, they should have a stock of the card as long as the warranty period is valid, otherwise it would be impossible to service them within the 3 year period.

Maybe you should read up on the warranty which you agreed to. You might be surprised at what you agreed to, and what your expectations are.

Maybe you should read up on the warranty which you agreed to. You might be surprised at what you agreed to, and what your expectations are.

while thats fair, this is an industry where there are companies who go above and beyond in customer service, RMA depts specifically. If we are accustomed to getting equal cards or UPGRADES in the absence of an equal replacement, then being offered a downgrade seems unusual and unacceptable. EVGA, BFG, XFX, etc, all raised the bar for this, so if another company (asus) isn't going to follow suit, then their reputation will be hurt since they are the outlier in the high end higher-than-oem priced hardware.

honestly OP, given how long it has taken them to muster the 970 offer, I doubt you will get a 980. But good luck just the same.

My RMA experience with Asus in the early 2000s was very poor. Enough to make me swear off touching any of their gear again. Pretty much any other company I've dealt with in the past 15 years has been vastly better. To name a few: Crucial, Corsair, Seasonic, eVGA, WD - all very easy to deal with. Seasonic is a Taiwan company, and even they were better than Asus in providing end-user support (email replies within 24 hours).

You really do get to see the real face of a company when you are using CS/warranty, and now you're seeing why Asus has that world-famous RMA reputation (lol). Best of luck though. Dealing with a 780Ti to 970 downgrade is not acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTsFKJ2nJE

I kinda expected the much vaunted official service center to be able to fix my 780ti. Trust me, they're doing me no favors breaking my sli with the 970 shenanigans, at least until the advent of dx 12 games.

A few years ago I purchased a couple of refurb 4870x2 cards for Quad Crossfire from Tiger Direct.

When I received them, one worked fine and the other was artifacting and then completely died.

These cards were from Visiontek and I did the RMA through them.

I let them know I purchased them for a Crossfire setup and they replaced both with a pair of 6870s. At the time people were saying it was a slight downgrade.. but that would have only been true if Quad Crossfire was working just as well as 2 card Crossfire.

Both of those 6870 cards are still working just fine.

That is how a company should handle RMAs in a situation like this.

Not only would I strongly request the 980, I would go as far as to let them know that since they don't have any 780ti cards, that you want both cards replaced (if both are ASUS and still under warranty that is).

I'd take the 970, their warranty says that they determine what's equivalent and unless it's flagrantly ridiculous, which a 970 for a 780TI is not. You'll just end up arguing with them for ages and possibly never getting anything.

Once you get the 970, sell it on ebay (new unopened) and buy a 780TI on ebay used. You'll make money. Or alternately sell your 780TI and buy another 970, which will cost a bit of cash.

I'd take the 970, their warranty says that they determine what's equivalent and unless it's flagrantly ridiculous, which a 970 for a 780TI is not. You'll just end up arguing with them for ages and possibly never getting anything.

Once you get the 970, sell it on ebay (new unopened) and buy a 780TI on ebay used. You'll make money. Or alternately sell your 780TI and buy another 970, which will cost a bit of cash.

Ah yes, good idea. Plus years of playing STO have given me experience in currency exchange lol.

To be fair he won't make any money because of the ebay/paypal cut. Probably break even if he's lucky.

I've had Asus board RMAs take 2 and half months. I sent in an ASUS P6T6 WS because of a ram slot going bonkers. One minute it's working fine, the next it wasn't showing the ram.

Go through the RMA dance and sent it in. Give them 2 weeks after they recieved the board to email me. Nothing. I call and like you stated, the rep doesn't know normal english :rolleyes: I had to decipher what he was saying by asking specific questions. Turns out they had not even check the board.

Another 2 weeks, no emails. Another call and another deciphering with the same dumbass rep. I figured out they cannot fix the issue, but will instead send a replacement. Finally a sigh of relief. Wait another 2 weeks, again nothing. Here we go with another phonecall and another session with mr. dumbass. They approved the replacement and a week later I get the long awaited email about the replacement being shipped out.

2 more weeks..nothing. I call yet again and the same exact dumbass with his broken english tells me the board has been shipped. 3 weeks later the board arrives...guess what, they sent back my original board. They didn't fix shit and sent it back stating it was a replacement board :mad:

I would expect a 980 at least. If you bought those Asus 780Ti's new, you probably paid around $650 each for them. Now they are offing you a $350 card. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

If I had to settle for the 970, I would do as suggested above, keep it new in box and sale it. Then I would sale the 780Ti also and buy a new card from a company that I felt I could trust.

I would expect a 980 at least. If you bought those Asus 780Ti's new, you probably paid around $650 each for them. Now they are offing you a $350 card. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

If I had to settle for the 970, I would do as suggested above, keep it new in box and sale it. Then I would sale the 780Ti also and buy a new card from a company that I felt I could trust.

Asus isn't responsible for replacing the original card with a current card of the same MSRP, that is just bad for business. The GTX970 offer seems fair. While a bit slower, it has some other advantages over a 780Ti and could easily be sold if the OP REALLY wants another 780Ti.

At least you're well within the warranty, I tried to RMA a 680 with them and they danced around for almost 6 months deleting my RMA repeatedly, I finally figured out they were trying to get past the warranty period which was almost expired. I ended up getting help from the Asus reps here and it did get replaced but that card was out of commission for nearly a year.

ASUS RMA is so fucking trash it's unreal. I love their motherboards to pieces but god forbid mine ever die out. Someone on [H] had a similar issue with his motherboard and it took him literally forever to get a proper, non-broken replacement, and he even had to solder the board himself. They sent him a courtesy GPU for his boundless patience, but that's hardly acceptable when this happens with every single person who uses their RMA service.

Woah, I don't know what voodoo you guys pulled but

"We apologize for the delay in processing your RMA as we were unable to repair your product. Since we currently do not have your model [ GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD6] instock, we would like to offer an exchange to [ STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5] to accept or decline this offer please respond back to this email. If you do not wish to accept this offer, we can attempt to locate your original model which may take longer than our normal turn-around-time of approximately 5-7 buisness days. If we do not hear back from you within 2 business days, Asus will automatically exchange your product unless your original model is available by the time we swap and close out the RMA. "

Huzzah, tech support nightmare is over!

ASUS RMA is so fucking trash it's unreal. I love their motherboards to pieces but god forbid mine ever die out. Someone on [H] had a similar issue with his motherboard and it took him literally forever to get a proper, non-broken replacement, and he even had to solder the board himself. They sent him a courtesy GPU for his boundless patience, but that's hardly acceptable when this happens with every single person who uses their RMA service.

That would have been me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTsFKJ2nJE

I kinda expected the much vaunted official service center to be able to fix my 780ti. Trust me, they're doing me no favors breaking my sli with the 970 shenanigans, at least until the advent of dx 12 games.

I'm not defending Asus at all. But that said stated as general blanket industry standard they offer something of equal or greater VALUE which does not always equal performance.

Also, as unfortunate as breaking your SLI setup is, multi card configurations are a small niche category of sales. Also, the terms of your purchase and warranty for that matter are not contingent on your multi card setup.

Kind of sucks. Another reason I no longer run multi card setups.

"We apologize for the delay in processing your RMA as we were unable to repair your product. Since we currently do not have your model [ GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD6] instock, we would like to offer an exchange to [ STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5] to accept or decline this offer please respond back to this email. If you do not wish to accept this offer, we can attempt to locate your original model which may take longer than our normal turn-around-time of approximately 5-7 buisness days. If we do not hear back from you within 2 business days, Asus will automatically exchange your product unless your original model is available by the time we swap and close out the RMA. "

well there you go :)

Wow, great to hear a happy ending.

It's not over until the working unit is in your hands. Asus has agreed to upgrade before then reneged and sent whatever they wanted. Just read some previous complaints here.

My last GPU upgrade, I rolled the dice on an open-box ASUS 670GTX 4GB DCUII from NewEgg. Decent price cut that took it under $300.

It was DOA despite fans spinning etc. Swapped out my PSU in case I had crossed a line with my power draw, no success.

I asked the ASUS rep here what I should do. They recommended I go with ASUS support, since then he could watch over the process and make sure I was happy. I sent it off to the address given by their RMA e-mail. I got a card back where the bracket was bent up like it had been dropped onto a concrete floor. Contacted the ASUS rep again. He said, send it to my attention at this address, I will go to the returns area and hand-pick you a good card.

Not long after, I got what appeared to be an unopened retail package. Worked like a champ and it's still my main card. Had to pay shipping on the first RMA (still under $300 total cost) and went through 2-3 weeks of craziness, but it ended up well in the end, on a card that was sort of buyer-beware in the first place.

All that to say, ASUS in the form of [H]'s community rep went the extra mile for me and left a very good impression. Based on that, as long as such a person is around here, I have no problem buying their products.

All that to say, ASUS in the form of [H]'s community rep went the extra mile for me and left a very good impression. Based on that, as long as such a person is around here, I have no problem buying their products.

He does do great things for members here, but I generally only see him step in once the shit really starts hitting the fan. They are more interested contributing to their support threads in order to try to get people to buy the new top-tier ASUS products.

It's not over until the working unit is in your hands. Asus has agreed to upgrade before then reneged and sent whatever they wanted. Just read some previous complaints here.

Agreed, don't get too excited until the new card arrives and actually works. But glad to hear things are moving in a good direction OP

He does do great things for members here, but I generally only see him step in once the shit really starts hitting the fan. They are more interested contributing to their support threads in order to try to get people to buy the new top-tier ASUS products.

Well, I think the secret is to PM him rather than wait for him to step in on an open thread. Worked great for me.

My ASUS Z77 Sabertooth had swollen caps. They acted like the board didn't have a 5 year warranty. I had to pay for shipping both ways for them to fix it, and then they didn't fix it. Never again. I miss DFI as a motherboard manufacturer.

In any case I've never had such a terrible rma experience, seriously stick to evga, those guys are pro.

Anyone, just pick anyone else!

Argue for a GTX 980 at least. GTX 780 TI was a tier II flagship card when it launched and I don't see you asking for an equivalent replacement.

Person who didn't read the thread detected!

haha!

You know the name of Asus used to mean something to me until I read this thread. I had thoughts of buying the 980Ti Matrix on preorder at newegg but after reading this? HELL NO! Bad Asus! Bad!

Asus will not change their business practices until it hurts their pocket and I intend to tell everyone I know about this thread. Looks like EVGA will be getting my hard earned cash.

Threads like this scared me away from ASUS. ASUS, if you're reading this you lost out on my last system purchase ;)

Good luck OP

its unnerving to think of someone having one machine and had to deal with RMAs. i would literally die if i was stuck with a cellphone or tablet for weeks on end dealing with RMA issues and going to school.

Even though I'm fully aware of their shit RMA procedure I don't blow them off completely. I still have a few ASUS parts and for the most part they all work great. They don't have a high failure rate, so most everyone that gets something from them isn't automatically screwed. It's just something to think about. If you get an ASUS card run it hard for a few days so if there is a problem you can deal with who you purchased it from rather than them.

I sent my Vii hero to asus rma 4 weeks ago, got it back repaired within 2 weeks and its the same board but no longer has the reboot problem so apparently they are doing some kind of repairs.

Overall happy. I was even offered advance RMA but they had no boards available.

I'm pretty sure Asus is working hard on their RMA procedures to help improve their image, This thread is not even CLOSE to the worst story we've heard from an Asus RMA, and its still not great.

Asus is not a terrible company, and their products are great.. BUT in some consumer/commercial applications, the reliability of service is MORE important than the reliability of product. A bad product with good service is reliable and predictable, a good product with bad service is a gamble. I'm not the gambling type.

I skip over ASUS hardware. Warranty is more important than a 3% performance increase due to a manufacture OC that I could achieve myself.

When your new card arrives, test it carefully to make sure it works. Last time I did an ASUS RMA I went through multiple cards before getting a working one. In the end, they gave up trying to find a working 280x and just sent me a 970. Their front line support is terrible, I didn't get any real help until I got in contact with an engineer from their Fremont facility. He is the only person I dealt with who seemed interested in actually helping me.

It's a real shame, considering I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with ASUS RMA (I also live less than an hour from their depot so I just do drop-offs for warranties), across multiple GPUs and motherboards.

I guess when it goes bad, it doesn't just go bad, it goes to shit. Hope I'll never get it this bad from them.

Back