Yet another 655B death

ccityinstaller

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my rage (and later joy) at having a second MCP-655B die in a ~18 month timespan. The first lasted 6 years, so I was totally cool with it as it served me well running 24/7 all 6 years! That pump was made in Europe (Hungary I believe). It's replacement from Swiftech came retail boxed and was made in China. It lasted ~18 months, but started acting up around the 13 month mark. I pulled it out of my loop to see what was going on since I couldn't stand the insane grinding sound it was making. This is what I found:

On the left is the old pump, the right is a brand new replacement I purchased @ MicroCenter.
Here is what the bearing looked like.
IMG_20170802_171151.jpg

Notice the smooth shiny area where it was rubbing.
IMG_20170802_172048.jpg

Now as you can imagine I was not happy having two pumps fail in such a short time but I have to give a big shout out to
Mackenzy Tea @ Swiftech. He replaced both pumps without me having to send them cross country and wait for a return. While I am beyond happy with the hassle free replacement process, I have to wonder how large an increase in RMA requests they are incurring since they have apparently moved their production to China vs Europe.

Anyway I just thought I would share my story. Anyone else had a 655 fail on them in a short time?

Last edited:
Sorry, I am utterly incapable of differentiating between those two IMG tags...

I had a D5 die after about 5 years of 24/7 service, replaced with an XSPC unit re-using my Aphacool top and it has been going strong now for 2 years.

Sorry about that guys, I don't know why my alerts for the thread were turned off. I uploaded the photos directly.

Good Swiftech service, that's how you keep customers.

Luckily I haven't had any of my 655 pumps die yet. One is going on 12 years now I think, the other is about 6 years.

Was it run dry? Did you prime the loop before? It looks like damage from running dry by the type of rotor damage, but strangely the bearing doesn't look too bad. It could also be an imbalanced impeller. There's a video of Daz troubleshooting one. Original impeller in = wobbles. Replace with spare impeller = smooth. Diagnosis is a imbalanced impeller.

http://www.xs-pc.com/blog/2014/7/the-dangers-of-dry-running

Last edited:
I had 2 D5's which one died prematurely, the other started the squeal of death, but still did it's job until I replaced it with the Lowara D5. The previous 2 D5's were Corsair branded. Needless to say when I tried to RMA them, Corsair's Tech Support denied the RMA stating the pumps came from kits and in order for me to receive the RMA I have return the entire kits. I have no clue what they were talking about as I had purchased the pumps only from their recertified/refurbished dept. So here I had 2 D5's at a cost of $90 sitting on my desk as paper weights and Corsair refused the RMA. I kept explaining the situation to anyone who would listen along with submitting copies of my sales invoice to no avail. I took the defective pos pumps to the shooting range and pumped a few rounds in each, then tossed them in the river. Never purchased another Corsair product since and never will. I avoid Corsair like the plague, those sonsabitches.

The Lowara D5 I purchased from Hardass has been going strong ever since with zero issues. Planning on purchasing another D5 for safety precautions.

My Swiftech MCP600 is still going strong after 14 years. Never had an issue once they replaced the pump head with a ceramic bearing face back in 2003.

Back