Yet another 120Hz LCD: Alienware OptX AW2310 23" 16:9

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, they didn't revealed the input lag value in ms, the just said it was very low.

Rasmus Larsen, from FlatpanelsHD, answered my question regarding input lag:

"We measured between 0-8 ms on Alienware AW2310 in our tests, so yes it is a bit faster.

Also, there's a setting called response time (overdrive) in the menu. If you experience problems with input lag for some reason you can deactivate overdrive to reduce input lag even further. Our measuremnts were made with overdrive activated, however."

Last edited:
So I do not care about 3D.

I am looking for a new monitor to run with my crossfire 5850 setup.

Would this work with 120hz? Or do you have to have an Nvidia card?

I thought I read about someone using a 5870, I just wanted to double check

I haven't had any issues using 120hz with my XFX 5870 card, so the answer should be yes.

Any dual link DVI able video card should be able to run it just fine. Its more a matter of bandwith than anything.

I bought it, should recieve it wednesday. Dell's site across Europe offers a 15% discount until 23 June.

I bought it, should recieve it wednesday. Dell's site across Europe offers a 15% discount until 23 June.
I wish the US Dell would have a deal like that, I'm looking to get one this week.

EDIT: Dell has $50 of until Thurs the 24th

Last edited:
Been using this monitor for a few months now and absolutely love it. Even when not gaming in 3d from time to time, the 120 hz gameplay is so smooth and precise that it takes the gaming to another level.

I have been tweaking color settings and nvidia display option settings ever since I got it and I wanted to share my profile with everyone.

Monitor Settings:
Preset: Custom Red:86 Green:85 Blue:92
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 55

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:
Digital Vibrance: 70
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 52
Gamma: 0.98

Try out these settings and see how you like it.

I can confirm 120hz works fine with crossfire (my 5970).

Basically every game I've tried supported the refresh too. Most simply use the desktop refresh rate.

However, games that don't run at 1080p will only do 60hz unless you do 1:1 pixel mapping on the screen and don't mind the smaller picture with black borders.

It is a shame the ATI drivers don't have 1440x1080 built in. I haven't looked into whats required to add custom resolutions these days. Post Vista it's been a pain with both team red and green.

I have a technical question about this monitor. I currently am using it with an ATI Radeon 5870 on Windows 7 64bit. I know that it works at 120hertz on the recommended resolution of 1920x1080 which is awesome. But my question is how do I get 120hertz on smaller resolutions such as 800x600. Some older games I play are better on lower resolutions, and when I try to set a resolution like 800x600 or 1024 to 120 or even 100 hertz it just automatically goes back to 75 hertz and locks it there. If anyone has a solution to this problem. Please let me know. Thank you.

Anyone have experience with using this monitor for console gaming?

Anyone have experience with using this monitor for console gaming?

Its probably gonna be just "ok" for gaming , most of the 120hz monitors are strictly for PC usage and really don't have the extra bells and whistles that make it great for consoles. Also keep in mind that it will be locked into 60hz for everything else , you can only get the 120hz mode with Dual Link DVI cable connected.

If you console game more than PC game , look else where.

I have a technical question about the Alienware AW2310. I currently am using it with an ATI Radeon 5870 on Windows 7 64bit. I know that it works at 120hertz on the recommended resolution of 1920x1080 which is awesome. But my question is how do I get 120hertz or even 100 hertz on smaller resolutions such as 800x600. Some older games I play are better on lower resolutions, and when I try to set a resolution like 800x600 or 1024 to 120 or even 100 hertz it just automatically goes back to 75 hertz and locks it there. If anyone has a solution to this problem. Please let me know. Thank you.

I have a technical question about the Alienware AW2310. I currently am using it with an ATI Radeon 5870 on Windows 7 64bit. I know that it works at 120hertz on the recommended resolution of 1920x1080 which is awesome. But my question is how do I get 120hertz or even 100 hertz on smaller resolutions such as 800x600. Some older games I play are better on lower resolutions, and when I try to set a resolution like 800x600 or 1024 to 120 or even 100 hertz it just automatically goes back to 75 hertz and locks it there. If anyone has a solution to this problem. Please let me know. Thank you.

I don't know how to help you, Frank :(

By the way, I have an Alienware AW2310 below my work desk eheh (can't wait to get home)!

I don't know how to help you, Frank :(

By the way, I have an Alienware AW2310 below my work desk eheh (can't wait to get home)!
Please post some picks....mine is still in production, I ordered it on Monday.:confused:

First impressions:

- motion blur: I've always played on a 19" CRT and I was aware that the AW2310 would never be as good, I notice a slight blur on quick movements, but nothing that disturbes me and when I'm not looking for it, I don't even notice it. Maybe Acer's GD245HQ blur is even less, due to its agressive overdrive (and according to DigitalVersus, it is the most responsive 120hz monitor, though they haven't tested the Alienware).

- input lag: though I knew that clone mode isn't the most reliabe test, I've use it. The CRT was 30ms average quicker than the AW2310. I was in chock. Then, I switched the GPU outputs at which the displays were connected and AW2310 became 10ms quicker than the CRT :p No conclusions here, but I haven't noticed any changes at my scores or the way I play online FPS.

- one dead pixel and, as other users pointed, some bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen, when it's all black. Nothing that bothers me.

A CRT has no input lag and no motion blur, so it will always (in the near future) going to be better than a TFT. But the extra size, image sharpness and crispper colors make me glad that I took this step. I'me veary pleased with the choice I've made, though AW2310 is expensive and regarding price/quality relation, there are better options out there.

I don't have an Acer GD245 and an Alienware AW2310 side by side. But for what I've read (and I might always be wrong), I thing Acer's mor agressive overdrive increase its responsivness and decreases its motions blur, but it increases the input lag value also. But the differences will be minimal, of course.

I have an E8400 @ stock, 4GB RAM and a HD5850. I think I've noticed that MW1 (average 120/130 fps) is slightly more fluid than MW2 (80/90 fps).

BTW, AW2310 is trully GORGEOUS!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic and mini review...did you notice any tearing when vsync is off, also doesn't this monitor have Dell premium panel guarantee...and dead pixels are covered.

I just received my shipping email today...I'll get it on the 29th.

Looks really cool btw, enjoy ;)

I've noticed tearing with my CRT, but not with the AW2310. But I'll look closer.

Regarding the dead pixel, I'm from Portugal. Dell doesn't sell directly to the consumer (and don't even dream about Alienware). I bought from Pixmania and returning the display would be too much trouble because of one little fellow.

I've noticed tearing with my CRT, but not with the AW2310. But I'll look closer.

Regarding the dead pixel, I'm from Portugal. Dell doesn't sell directly to the consumer (and don't even dream about Alienware). I bought from Pixmania and returning the display would be too much trouble because of one little fellow.
Oh I see....well you can always try the pressure method listed here, it has worked on my sons monitor, we got rid of two of them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

Some more pics would be cool...if you have time :D

Just tried L4dead 2, no tearing. What kind of pics do you want? I have time, today.
I would like to see more pics of this monitor, you can seem to find too many owner pics online.

I'm going from a 24" to this monitor, I'm a little worried I would notice the size difference, so I'm using a 20" until it arrives.

Close ups would be cool:D

Great pics..thanks. Its a really beautiful monitor, I cant wait to get mine. I have a GTX 480, I dont think I'll need more power.

Or maybe I should get a 5970 :confused:

Well it finally came:D no dead pixels minor bleed at the top and bottom, not really noticeable. I just need to dial this thing in

Last edited:
I have a technical question about this monitor. I currently am using it with an ATI Radeon 5870 on Windows 7 64bit. I know that it works at 120hertz on the recommended resolution of 1920x1080 which is awesome. But my question is how do I get 120hertz on smaller resolutions such as 800x600. Some older games I play are better on lower resolutions, and when I try to set a resolution like 800x600 to 120 hertz it just automatically goes back to 75 hertz and locks it there. If anyone has a solution to this problem. Please let me know. Thank you.

So is this monitor pretty much full price all the time? Do Dell coupons work on Alienware monitors?

I bought mine for $450 a piece at the end of June, which was right before the Surround drivers came out and something tells me that was no coincidence. I think that had been on sale once before but I can't recall. Awesome monitor for gaming.

My sig rig 3D Surround setup:

nVidia%203D%20Vision%20Surround-02.jpg

Good price! This really is an excellent monitor. It's all about gaming and delivers in spades.

i have this monitor as well the AW2310 and I like it a lot... but there is no single place where people can share their conclusions.... from the entire post I gathered some things but I am confused...

for best performance we agree to put the preset to GAME preset right?
and we put VSYNC on to get the best performance too

Also I have a problem.... maybe others have encountered this....
The monitor occasionally fades in and out of brightness... it will go from normal to VERYYY dark then slowly adjust back to normal brightness... happens randomly sometimes? other times in between desktop and a game.... other times when im in a trading program "Trade station"

all very weird... help! thanks

For raw FPS you'll get best performance with VSYNC disabled, this is true with all monitors.
No i dont have this monitor.

Your brightness issue sounds like you have dynamic contrast enabled.

yes i read some about dynamic as well.. so everyone agrees if your CPU can handle it and is a beast... VSYNC off and dynamic lighting OFF

right

thanks
edit...

oh and also is it better to have your... i guess graphics card settings... set to auto detect from software or game... or manually set them all to 16x filtering and 8x AA etc
and vsync off right?

Last edited:
The earlier solutions I offered did not work under all circumstances, so I went with a "hard" fix - I ran the the Refreshforce permanent solution and it worked fine. Run it once and you are done. Google it to find the app.

Back