Yet again, the beast finds its way into my family...

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Well, I just got off the phone with my grandmother. My great grandmother has been in the hospital for about a week now. She was having chest pains and a hard time breathing. She is 90, at her age, that could just be a cold. She was supposed to be released today. Then, this afternoon, they found advanced bone marrow cancer. It was totally unknown and unexpected. The worst part, its so far advanced, she may not make it till Christmas. At the most, she has a month.

I was totally unprepared for this, and just don't know what to make of it. I hate it. This will be the 6th case of cancer in my family, and the 5th loss. It absolutely tears me apart to think that a week ago, she was doing ok, and now, she make not celebrate another Christmas. Even worse, she is in pain. She can only take so much pain killers before they start doing more harm than good. I hate to think about that.

I know she is 90, and has lived a full, happy life... and I knew this was coming, but I did not think it would be so abrupt. I was very close to her, it will be hard to cope with. I know I have responsibilities around here, but please bear with me on any absences. I may need some time off..

If there is one thing I am certain of.. I don't want to ever make another post like this. Fold on...

My heart goes out to you man.

My grandfather (who had been sick for a while) went to the hospital the friday before xmas in 2001 cuz he broke his foot or something minor like that. Thinking nothing of it, I went out and partied. I was then woke up about 6:30am the next morning by my mom saying he passed away.

So the point of me telling you this is dont do what i did, go and see her tonight while you can and dont mourn her leaving this world, be joyful that her spiritual life is going to begin.

and if all else fails, a bottle of tequila worked great for me :(

roftranspo said:
My heart goes out to you man.

My grandfather (who had been sick for a while) went to the hospital the friday before xmas in 2001 cuz he broke his foot or something minor like that. Thinking nothing of it, I went out and partied. I was then woke up about 6:30am the next morning by my mom saying he passed away.

So the point of me telling you this is dont do what i did, go and see her tonight while you can and dont mourn her leaving this world, be joyful that her spiritual life is going to begin.

and if all else fails, a bottle of tequila worked great for me :(

Sadly, I can't make it out there tonight. The hospital she is at is a ways away. By the time I arrived, visitation would be over. She as a few people there already anyways, don't want to overdo it. I will be going to see her tomorrow.

Viper87227 said:
Sadly, I can't make it out there tonight. The hospital she is at is a ways away. By the time I arrived, visitation would be over. She as a few people there already anyways, don't want to overdo it. I will be going to see her tomorrow.
right on...if anything....atleast a phone call....and yea....my grandfather was in the local hospital by my house :(

I'm faced with something just as bad, with my grandfather on my mother's side (the last surviving grandparent I have) currently has a cancerous tumor in one of his lungs, and has been battling it for months. He's doing good now, but at the same time, we know that his time is coming. I've been prepared for it for the longest time now.

Sorry to hear such tragic news so close to the holidays though bro...

Dude, anyone who wouldn't put off forum obligations for family shouldn't be here. Really sucks to hear about this, especially out of the blue.

Definitely seconding roft's suggestion to go see her; I passed on that chance a few years ago for some stupid reason, and pretty much I've regretted it since. So yeah, go see her. You (and she) will feel better for it.

Ending a post in a thread like this is hard. So much to be said and no words to do it in... best wishes for you and your family.

the black knight always triumphs!

rogue_jedi said:
Ending a post in a thread like this is hard. So much to be said and no words to do it in... best wishes for you and your family.

Very true words, just as coming up with some meaningful sentiment as well. Just know that no matter how difficult, the Horde is here, and pulling for your great-grandmother... To the end of the beast...

I send my condonences to your family.

Though life and death she will be with you, through the goods and bad times, you shall make it through this. My own grandfather is still with me to this day, in spirit and in heart he still watches over me, mom and dad.

Be thankful that God himself is taking her to a peaceful place, where she will watch over you from above and at a later time as you pass near death you will once again be by her side.

The hardest thing is not saying goodbye, that in itself will haunt you for the rest of your life. I also motion that you need to see her.

Do what you must, if you need to walk away for abit, we will honor your wish, but if you need a friend, don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks for the kind words guys. A few hours to myself, and I am starting to mellow out. Tomorrow I will see her, and it will be as heartbreaking as it will be wonderful. She will be permanently hospitalized until the day she dies. I will try to see her as much as I can, but sadly that won't be much. The drive is to far, and once I am back to work, I just won't have the time. At this point though, she is under some heavy duty drugs... she won't even know I am there. It is my understanding that she does not even really realize that she is permanently hospitalized.

On a slightly positive note, I will have another 1.5Ghz folding for the cure. I am taking baby steps, but by god I am doing every effort I can to increase production.

Take care of yourself during these difficult times.

My thoughts are with you.

Best wishes for your great grandmother.

Go do what you have to do, job or no job. Just tell them that a family member is in the hospital and you need to be there. If they can't handle it, find another job. My wife left her nice paying Pharmacist job at CVS because they said she couldn't go be with her father when he was hurt and in the hospital (liver surgery, related to metastisized skin cancer). She gave her notice and went to him anyways. They still have not been able to replace her with a comparable quality pharmacist and it's been 1.5 years. :) Their loss. Family is more important than ANY job.

If you don't see your granny as much as humanly possible in the coming days you will regret it for the rest of your life, believe me. I didn't make all that much effort to see my grandparents when they were getting sickly because they lived 7 hours away and I was busy. Sure do regret it now.

I'm sorry to hear of your coming loss; it sucks. Be happy she made it to 90 years; not many do. Throw a few more systems on the fire and keep on Folding for a day when cancer is no more.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, Brian. Not much to say that hasn't already been said.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Great Grandma, buddy.

Do what you gotta do buddy....Family ALWAYS comes first. Just remember our hopes and prayers are with you.

FOLD ON!!

Those here who are saying to go see her, are more than correct.
I'm sure she deserves better than the pain she's in from that.
Everyone folds for a reason.
My condolences.

I was able to spend a few hours with her today. Unfortunately... she doesn't even know I was there. She is stil very drugged up, and is completely oblivious to what is going on. I suppose this is what it takes to keep her out of pain though.

Also... don't be so hard on transpo guys. I know he meant no harm.

rogue_jedi said:
Ending a post in a thread like this is hard.

Even beginning one is tough for someone who isnt that active.

At least, as you say, she has lived a long life and seen great things which is more than can be said for many people. I will focus some positive chi your/her way whatever it's worth.

Viper87227 said:
I was able to spend a few hours with her today. Unfortunately... she doesn't even know I was there. She is stil very drugged up, and is completely oblivious to what is going on. I suppose this is what it takes to keep her out of pain though.
She knows...trust me. :)
Also... don't be so hard on transpo guys. I know he meant no harm.
there is a time and place for everything.

No matter how drugged up she is, she still knows someone who cares about her visited.

And Viper for the Hard|DCer for January, I vote for you. I know we haven't gotten past December though but you are one Hard|DCer to brave through more than one person passing that had cancer and fold for their memory.

Thoughts and prayers from our team in Great Britain, tough time of year to be suffering like this.
Chris

i too was very close to my grandmother. i know its hard, but i recommend you to go see her as much as possible even tough she may not realize your there. it is the very thing that i have wished i have done in the past. now that my grandmother has past on, i sort kind of regret it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I saw her again today, but she has taken a turn for the worse. Doctors say she will be lucky to live the night. I don't even want to think about it... I don't want to think that today may be the last time I will get to see her alive.

Well guys... when I got home from work today, I recieved the news that she had passed away this evening.

As painful as it is, I just need to keep telling myself she is in a better place. No more pain... no more drugs. She is with god, and my great grandfather... and she is happy.

I'm very sorry for you're loss....but your correct, she is in a better place..and she knows you care.

Sorry.

Not much I can think of to say. Damn beast.

Take care of yourself. Sorry for your loss.

Pocatello said:
Not much I can think of to say.

Thats the hardest thing... it seems. I miss her dearly, and cannot stop thinking about her, but yet I cannot even really put into words what I am feeling. I'd like to speak at the funeral Tuesday, but I really don't even know what I would say. Every time I try to prepare something... I just cant get the words out.

I'm sorry for your loss Viper. May God be with you and your family during this difficult time.

Viper, my lack of words does not reflect that in fact I have been thinking of you, your grandmother, and the rest of your family during this time of your grandmother's passing. Take comfort that you knew her well and she lived a long life.

I'm sorry for your loss as well, but you really put it best:

Viper said:
As painful as it is, I just need to keep telling myself she is in a better place. No more pain... no more drugs. She is with god, and my great grandfather... and she is happy.

My condolences to you and your family Viper. May God be with you in this time of sorrow.

I haven't been around here much for a while and missed this.

Sorry to hear what happened and you have my condolences.

As usual, if there's anything you need, you only have to ask.

Back