Yelp Must Take Down Defamatory Reviews

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying this ruling is right or wrong, I'm just saying it should have been obvious that leaving defamatory reviews about a law firm isn't the smartest thing a person can do. The lady would have been better off complaining to the State Bar Association instead of jumping on Yelp.

In January 2014, the court awarded Hassell nearly $558,000 and injunctive relief, including an order that Yelp remove Bird's defamatory reviews from its website. Yet after Hassell hand-delivered a copy of the final judgment to Yelp's attorney, the company's senior director of litigation, Aaron Schur, objected as a nonparty. Yelp ultimately moved to vacate the judgment, alleging it had standing to bring the motion as an "aggrieved party," even though it was a nonparty in the lawsuit.

Is it defamatory if it is true?

For a fully educated comment, we would need to see the agreed upon service and prices between the lawyer and the yelp reviewer.

I tend to not trust lawyers, and "personal injury" lawyers generally have the reputation of being complete scumbags for the most part.

Attorneys don't blow their nose without billing someone for that time. If I go to a hospital and they give me an aspirin, you can bet I'm going to get charged a lot for that aspirin. If an attorney is mailing letters for you, it's a given that they're going to charge you for everything... including the stamps and envelopes.

Is it defamatory if it is true?

For a fully educated comment, we would need to see the agreed upon service and prices between the lawyer and the yelp reviewer.

I tend to not trust lawyers, and "personal injury" lawyers generally have the reputation of being complete scumbags for the most part.
The legal definition of defamation has specific criteria that must be proved in a lawsuit for it to have any standing, including malicious intent on the part of the defendant. If the court ruling was that the review constituted libel then I think it is safe to say that it wasn't true.

I honestly don't see the issue because I can't see it through Yelp's eyes. Yelp doesn't have any liability in the outcome; all they have to do is remove the offending reviews from their website.

I would yelp a thousand times before complaining to the the State Liar (lawyer?) Association.

adds lawyer joke here...

Wow, $558k for a bad Yelp review. They even got money for emotional distress.

I need someone to give me a bad review so I can hire that lawyer.

You know, it'd probably have been easier to just order the person who lost to remove their own reviews as part of the judgement.

Wow, $558k for a bad Yelp review. They even got money for emotional distress.

I need someone to give me a bad review so I can hire that lawyer.
You suck.
Sorry not my fault games made me do it. So lets sue game developers ( we can split the money )

Back