Year after: X68 + ich11 in Q2 , 2010 ? (Intel native support for USB 3 and SATA 3.)

kraft_mk

n00b
Hi all.
I know that this was posted and reviewed few times but this information confused me.
I do upgrade once in 3 or 4 years so I need a future proof configurations.
The only thing that is stopping me is Intel native support for USB 3 and SATA 3.
And than this showed up.
X68 + ich11 in q2 , 2010 ?
Whats your opinion? Is this serious?

33895567.jpg

17239682.jpg

<- Source -> and Translated via Google.

I am aware of this:
In terms of everything else, we saw basically no difference from the same single drive being plugged into a SATA 6Gb/s or SATA 3Gb/s port. All of this is obviously due to the hard drive not being able to actually take advantage of the 6Gb/s bus. We will see SATA 6Gb/s start to shine with SATA 6Gb/s SSD drives, but for now it looks as if you would have to configure a fairly big RAID 0 array to push the technology and we do not currently have a motherboard with more than a single Marvell 9128 controller supporting only two drives.

and this:

USB 3.0 is blindingly fast compared to our "old" USB 2.0 connections. Obviously external storage is where we will see the biggest impact immediately. We can&#8217;t wait to see what we can get with SATA III / USB 3.0 attached solid state drive RAIDs! But even if you are not looking for all out overkill, USB 3.0 can surely give you some real world advantages if you like your data outside of your chassis. Hopefully we will see flash memory speeds gets faster so our little USB "thumb" drives are not so cumbersomely slow.

Same conclusion here:

Bandwidth limitations on Intel's side will require a chipset refresh. It's possible to manage existing bandwidth more efficiently through PCI Express switching, though, which leads us to our main recommendation. If you're truly concerned with buying a board now that includes USB 3.0 and and SATA 6Gb/s support, it makes sense to purchase a higher-end platform in order to make sure you get a configuration with switching capabilities, at least (assuming, of course, that you're in the market for an H55-, H57-, or P55-based setup). Should you instead opt for an X58-based machine, these potential bottlenecks won't be an issue. Of course, that's a viable option as well and, frankly, more attractive to performance enthusiasts.
Though the promise of SATA 6Gb/s is exciting for enthusiasts eager to adopt early, the performance benefits are still limited, and we think it'd be best to wait. The market simply lacks drives faster than 300 MB/s.

With USB 3.0, though, the situation is different. Even if you plug a USB 2.0 x1 PCIe add-on card into a PCIe 1.1 slot, you'll still receive up to 250 MB/s of bandwidth, or a minimum of about 160 MB/s, as you can see in our benchmark results. Compared to USB 2.0 performance (at an effective 30-35 MB/s), this is already well worth the upgrade.

Last edited:
Back