Yay! random BSODs - is my PSU to blame?

NeilFarted

Gawd
So my main rig (Rig 1 in signature) has been giving me random BSOD's ever since i installed my new 9800GT. It mainly happens when i play games, but it has happened to me once or twice when i was just browsing the interwebs or watching a video.

I'm pretty sure my PSU should be able to handle the load, but i could be mistaken. I really suspect that the issue is my northbridge overheating on the shitty biostar board i have. It's a small passive heatsink and it is very close to the GT, which is radiating a lot of heat. I already have a new EVGA board on the way, i was just wondering if i am crazy to think that my Antec NeoHE 500W can handle a 125W CPU and a 9800GT.

I think you got driver issues more then a PSU issue.

with what? the GPU drivers? I have drivercleaner.net, followed all the steps, and have the latest drivers from nvidia.com. Is there a known issue with the latest drivers causing random BSODs?

Your PSU is easily powerful enough to handle your system's requirements, unless it's defective. It's more likely that the issue lies elsewhere.

with what? the GPU drivers? I have drivercleaner.net, followed all the steps, and have the latest drivers from nvidia.com. Is there a known issue with the latest drivers causing random BSODs?

It could be any number of things. It could be RAM, your GPU, your CPU, your mobo, hard drive, high temps, etc. Basically, you haven't told us anything that would make us think that it's a PSU problem. So you might want to start troubleshooting. There's a basic trouble shooting guide in the General Hardware subforum that could help you out.

I know this is a dumb question but did you plug in the pci-e power from the psu or use the molex adapter's?
I know someone that used the adapters when there was an available pci-e cable and it caused this problem.

thanks for the help and advise. I just wanted to make sure that i wasn't putting a load on my PSU that it couldn't handle, which i think you guys can agree that i'm not. I went ahead and replaced the mobo with an EVGA 730a board, so we'll see if i get any BSODs in the future.

Back