Yay! MI-100 mod!

I got the PSU all fitting with a beefy fan and all...

Fan and unmodded power supply [amperage rating sticker moved to side from top]
2mrfnn5.jpg

Fan on PSU, 1st revision
29geb9d.jpg

NT-07 with fan and shroud removed.
s5btpc.jpg

NT-07 without fan and shroud is level with the northbridge heatsink.
2qbdgro.jpg

Fan was too thick by 2mm, so I cut off the mounting points on the intake side, so I could mount the exhaust flange inside the PSU's case [it only barely had room in there for it...] Also had to trim the 60mm fan a little bit for clearance, it's the quietest 60mm fan I've heard, so it's staying in, it's gotta be better than no fan there...
rhke1u.jpg

PSU all assembled...
66w5fm.jpg

[Sorry for blurry pic...] It barely fits!, the CPU'll get enough air, I'll say!
qnl4dj.jpg

4noyv.jpg

Goddamn that's a tight fit!

What's the load temps now?

awesome build!
everything just sit so nicely to each other!
but what is the thickness of that 60mm fan u got there?

The one on the PSU is a 92mm, it was 25mm wide, I needed a 20mm for it to fit conventionally, the 60mm was the one inside the psu originally...

Running, 28C cpu idle, load is 55C, but all I really want right now is quiet, it'll last a long time at 55C...
25ptq40.jpg

oh i messed up! hahah my bad
so are u planning on changing it to a 20mm fan or keep the 25mm fan?
because from the picture... the fitting seems to be perfectly fine to me
other than that! the temps are good! and so does the whole thing!
nice job! :)

The PSU has started to overheat now, looks like the 60mm fan is going back in soon...
so are u planning on changing it to a 20mm fan or keep the 25mm fan?
because from the picture... the fitting seems to be perfectly fine to me
other than that! the temps are good! and so does the whole thing!
nice job! :)
No, it's just that if somebody were going to make one they'd want the 20mm thick fan so they'd not have to wreck a fan to make it fit... Thanks for the compliment!

Where do you get the hex screen? I have this case with an atom n330 and used a drill to pop in a few very sloppy holes in the side. Your hex screen + rivets is substantially superior.

Putting a PSU up front is also a very good idea. I personally don't care one bit about optical drives anymore (I run linux) although it might be nice (but not necessary) to cram a pair of 3.5" hdd's in there. If the PSU is crammed up front hard drive(s) could be suspended from the case top into the old PSU area. A 120mm wedged in the side would seriously keep the drive(s) cool.

Where do you get the hex screen? I have this case with an atom n330 and used a drill to pop in a few very sloppy holes in the side. Your hex screen + rivets is substantially superior.

Putting a PSU up front is also a very good idea. I personally don't care one bit about optical drives anymore (I run linux) although it might be nice (but not necessary) to cram a pair of 3.5" hdd's in there. If the PSU is crammed up front hard drive(s) could be suspended from the case top into the old PSU area. A 120mm wedged in the side would seriously keep the drive(s) cool.

You can fit plenty of drives in the standard spots, I could get about 4 in the case with a laptop cd drive...If you have a 1U heatsink that actually is designed for 1U servers you won't have to put the PSU in the front...

The screen has round holes, my dad found it at a steelyard a couple decades ago, so you are on your own on that, go to a local steel yard and ask if they have perforated sheetmetal, and if they do they'll be glad to show it to you...

I was also considering modding a (short) standard ATX power supply into the front instead of using a small one.

Don't bother, I couldn't see it fitting, besides this seasonic could power just about anything you could realistically put in this case...

I don't know if you've seen my worklog yet, but I'm going to be cramming one of those Seasonic 350w power supplies into my SG05. I was wondering since you've already done some chopping on your power supply if you could tell me if what I want to do would be possible.

To start with, I'm using a Coolermaster GeminII S cpu cooler with a 120x20mm fan on top of it. With the limited clearance in the SG05, this pretty much puts it all the way up against the bottom of the power supply.

What I want to do is to cut a 120mm hole in the bottom cover of the power supply, put a fan grill on it for protection, and have the GeminII S fan suck air away from the heatsink and blow it directly in through the bottom of the power supply and out the front/back vents of the power supply. Seeing that you've already done something similar with your project, do you think what I'm trying to do would work for me? I'm fairly confident it will work, I just want some second opinions... :)

I really like what you have done with your project. If I wasn't using a Q6600 and a GTS 250 in my build, I would have definitely tried to cram a rig into an MI-100. Great work man. :cool:

You may have problems with that big of a hole, all of the air the fan will exhaust will be right by the fan, and the rest will go out the back, and into your case. It might work, but I wouldn't trust it...

If I were you I'd just go with a shorter heatsink...

I was thinking about removing the 60mm psu fan since the sheer volume of air coming from the cpu fan would push everything out the vents anyways. I would have gotten a shorter heatsink, but couldn't find any that were both capable of cooling a mildly oc'ed Q6600 and would clear the motherboard components. I'll give this setup a try when I get all of my parts and if it doesn't work, I'll just improvise something else. :)

Back