Yay! MI-100 mod!

best [486]

Limp Gawd
It was getting too hot, it only had 2 Sq. inches of intake space, and the motherboard I had needed an external audio jack [I put that in the upper left corner of the back] and no carry handle, I fixed them problems, and am now looking for a cheap [under $200] mini itx mobo with pci-e 16x...
Picture time!

244cr60.jpg

11h8opc.jpg

Nice work!

Oh look for the J&W MINIX-780G-SP128MB mini-ITX mobo. Uses DDR2 SO-DIMMs and AMD AM2 CPUs but it does have that PCI-E x16 slot.

Never heard of J&W, which is why I haven't tried to find someone who has it in stock, Is it any good?

There's the MSI IM-IQ35, but it's over $200. Maybe once Nehalem is out the price will drop?

best [486];1033064197 said:
Hopefully, off to find out what nehalem is!

Nehalem is Intel's code name for Intel's new Core i7 CPUs. Uses an entirely new and different socket that is incompatible with current Intel's current socket 775. In addition, there is no northbridge anymore as the Core i7 CPUs now have an integrated memory controller, like AMD CPUs. However it supports DDR3 RAM only. Due out in late October or November according to the latest rumors. Latest previews showing it to have a 20% performance increase over current Intel C2D based CPUs.

Oh and that motherboard that I recommended to you is pretty decent:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/09/17/j-w-minix-780g-mini-itx-htpc-motherboard/1

Though the x4 speed of that PCI-E x16 slot will impact gaming performance by roughly 10 to 15%.

best [486];1032974432 said:
i am now looking for a cheap [under $200] mini itx mobo with pci-e 16x...

How about now, I got back into computers, and wish to complete this project...

Anyone know of any good PSUs to upgrade the one that comes with this case? I am looking at getting an Apex MI-008 as my next case but I want something a bit more powerful, something around 350w or so.

It's not Logitech, it's Logisys Computer.

Logisys Computer isn't known for making quality or even decent power supplies

It works great for me, I replaced the fan with one that was quieter, but moved a bit more air, the one they put in there is a bad design.
Also, I seem to have very high opinions of PSUs that other people shun as "crap," if it works and doesn't kill my components, then I'm fine with it.
I just run my new PSUs in a P-3 system that's loaded with old hard drives to see if it'll die, none have, yet

What about the "Athena Power" brand, they have a pretty good looking one on newegg right now, expensive, but it's specs look great...

I think Ill get the J&W one, as soon as I can find a place that has one like newegg, does anyone think they'll get them in?

Got the J&W from geeks.com, now when newegg gets the heatsink I need in I can order the cpu, memory, and the heatsink...

EDIT: I got it in the mail, now to find AAs for the camera!
EDIT2: DANG! No batteries, and it takes some 4.3V power adapter, 5V probably won't hurt it, but I don't wanna risk it.
EDIT3: I'm thinking about getting the NT07 from silverstone, the one I want isn't in stock:(...

Okay, sorry for triple post, but my digital camera now works!

It comes in a really fancy box...
21b3ssz.jpg

I already put a fan on the northbridge, as my video card will be blocking most of the airflow...
2s9r2ty.jpg

2rpwn41.jpg

Now, I'm waiting on the CPU, and RAM from UPS, I hope they drop it off at my house this time, it sucks when I have to find my box myself...

MINIX!! ... outstanding :D

btw, where did you find one in stock? ive been looking around and cant seem to find someone who has them.

Geeks.com, though the motherboard makes a screaming noise whenever it's on, I'm going to have to RMA it or something...

How is geeks.com for RMAing something?

best [486];1033260241 said:
Geeks.com, though the motherboard makes a screaming noise whenever it's on, I'm going to have to RMA it or something...
What do you mean by screaming noise? Are you sure it's not coming from the HSF or that small fan?

It was a buzzing, but real loud and high pitched, sort of EEEEEEEEEEE!! :p I've heard some video cards make the same noise...
It was 3 coils on the bottom of the motherboard that were barely contacting the case, the fans are near silent. I put arctic silver ceramique on them between the case and the coils, it fixed it, so yay! I fixed it!

Do you know of any good M-ATX power supplies?
I'm thinking about this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104044

I'd go with the Seasonic simply because it's the better PSU company

yeah i m not sure of the exact dimensions vs the FSP, newegg tags the Seasonic as SFF but the other one comes up under mATX. If you buy it and it doesn t fit, i will take it off your hands just so I can resurrect my QPack with a decent power supply =P

Don't Q-packs take standard ATX PSUs?

More pics...

w00qqs.jpg

I had to put the PSU up front, because the CPU heatsink is too big, I'm going to get a NT-07 for it...
m9qfle.jpg

A view through the "window."
11axy5w.jpg

Nice work.

What video card is that?
What are the temps like?

what if you keep the cpu heatsink on but take out the fan, would the power supply clear in its original position? from the pictures, it looks like it might work, and since the psu already acts as a fan to blow out air itself, its a win win situation.

No, even if I put it in my dad's mill, and cut off 1/2", the hold down bracket thing will get in the way...

Well, I got the NT-07, and the seasonic psu, I'm gonna see about exhausting the cpu air straight up, into the psu, and out of the case, though if that doesn't work, I'll just get a 2U heatsink, and run the airflow from one side to the other, and cut another mesh panel for the other side...

Cool. Be sure to post pics!

Also please tell us if that Seasonic PSU actually fits inside that case.

It looks longer than the current one in the pictures, I doubt that a CD drive will fit with it [the smallest cd drive I have barely fits already...], so I'm gonna put a laptop cd drive in instead, I could fit 3 3.5" HDDs in it pretty easily, even without using the side mount that blocks a ton of airflow...
It'll fit a 12" long graphics card, though the amount of space for the cooler is a slot and a half, so I'm stuck with single slot coolers. With the video card I may have to cut a hole in the front of the case [but not the faceplate] for clearance for the 6pin plug...

Also I think that the PSU doesn't have a 6 pin plug, so I may have to void it's warranty after I make sure it works [and after the 30 day warranty expires].

best [486];1033587836 said:
Also I think that the PSU doesn't have a 6 pin plug, so I may have to void it's warranty after I make sure it works [and after the 30 day warranty expires].
Why not use a double molex -> 6pin PCI-e?
I also had a q.. How simliar is the MI-100 to the MI-008?
I want to know if a GTX260 would fit..

I don't like the splitter things, besides, I only have 4 4pin plugs...
No idea, I've never heard of the mi-008
Is it less than a foot long? If so then it probably would...

Does the SeaSonic fit in the case (In the regular power supply spot) with your NT-07 in there?

I've got the same case, and I want to upgrade the power supply. I'm going to build an Intel machine with the 775 version of the NT-07 (It's the same height as the AM2). I'm just hoping everything will fit like it's supposed to still

Back