Yay Buttons!

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Sony has launched a website to try and combat some of the hype for Microsoft’s new Kinect system. "Could you imagine gaming without buttons?" I must be a visionary :p.

If you really want to get into it, you can even click to hear comments from Sony’s (pretend) VP of Realistic Movements, Mr Kevin Butler. He suggests things like waiting for mind-control before you enter the world of button-less gaming. Given Sony’s recent R&D efforts, that might be some time away.

Either way, no matter hardcore of a gamer I am, I can't sit in front of my TV and pose to play a game. It's just not in me.

You can play a video game for hours with a keyboard or a pad. I'm pretty sure you get tired after an hour of putting your arms in the air. Actually I+wouldn't last ten minutes by doing what the people were doing in the fake Kinect demo (the first video that was published by Microsoft).

- nothing in the kinetic design prevents controller use, and it doesn't require one to support up to 4 players

- each Sony controller is sold separate just like wiimotes and nunchuks. You can only have two players with full dual controls

- I would rather wave my empty hand than a glowing pink dildo/orb thing.

one thing drove me nuts about the wii is you needed to use the wii mote to play anything ... i hope that all the games keep a classic controller style as an option. to me the wii failed when they forced the wiimote and nun-chuck on you i feel this was the wii's failing for me i could not just sit down with a controller and play zelda like i could on my nes (yes i am that oldschool) it was more of a pain than it should of been.

Proper gaming is done with mouse and keyboard. ;)

Buttons are for toys.

You can play a video game for hours with a keyboard or a pad. I'm pretty sure you get tired after an hour of putting your arms in the air. Actually I+wouldn't last ten minutes by doing what the people were doing in the fake Kinect demo (the first video that was published by Microsoft).

That is very true. If you remember the Playstation Eyetoy games (kinect..) such as the nights level on sega all stars, it required you to hold your arms out for the whole 10 minute (I think) level. I'm not exactly unfit but it was quite an endurance battle the second or thirs time around. With most people being less than energetic, I see this being another wii 5% usuage rate type thing for most people.

Derp. You look more stupid with the glowing ball sticks than you do without a controller in your hand.

Anyhow, its not like anyone is going to play CoD9 with either of these, so who cares?

- nothing in the kinetic design prevents controller use, and it doesn't require one to support up to 4 players

- each Sony controller is sold separate just like wiimotes and nunchuks. You can only have two players with full dual controls

- I would rather wave my empty hand than a glowing pink dildo/orb thing.

Whats the advantage then if you are still gonna use a controller?

....B] With most people being less than energetic[/B], I see this being another wii 5% usuage rate type thing for most people.

That's the problem right there. Before gaming people were fit and much more active. I understand that things change and you should get with the times but more and more fat kids pop up these days who just happen to sit at home playing video games all day. Yes, you can control this and do these things in moderation like play basketball during the day and game at night for example, but how many kids have self control like that?

Introducing this to gaming can only be a good thing. Having to use a controller/nunchucks was the only thing keeping the Wii down imo. I didn't care much for the Wii because of it. I think Microsoft is doing it like it should have been done in the first place, relying soley on what Gawd gave you, and not having to rely on an accessory to do it.

Derp. You look more stupid with the glowing ball sticks than you do without a controller in your hand.

Anyhow, its not like anyone is going to play CoD9 with either of these, so who cares?

Wasn't there a demonstration of some kind of FPS which was MW, CoD (one of them millitary shooters) that uses the move to aim. I know Killzone 3 does have move support, I dont know what its for. The man was just sitting in a chair pointing at the screen. I can't see that working with the kinect version though. I mean...how do you pull the trigger? Shout bang? Pull the trigger pose?

Also when i'm doing VJ clubbing thing I have tonnes of glowing shit all over me, and I look (ir)radiant. This is just taking cyber club fashion mainstream baby.

That's the problem right there. Before gaming people were fit and much more active. I understand that things change and you should get with the times but more and more fat kids pop up these days who just happen to sit at home playing video games all day. Yes, you can control this and do these things in moderation like play basketball during the day and game at night for example, but how many kids have self control like that?

Introducing this to gaming can only be a good thing. Having to use a controller/nunchucks was the only thing keeping the Wii down imo. I didn't care much for the Wii because of it. I think Microsoft is doing it like it should have been done in the first place, relying soley on what Gawd gave you, and not having to rely on an accessory to do it.

I'm more worried about the length you could spend playing these games. I mean who here hasn't done 36hour gaming sessions? I have done 48 hour deathmatches and when I first got metal gear solid I played it 3 times from beginning to end. Then the 36 hour quake 2 on every difficulty marathon. On these kind of games, your going to get 1 hour max. Plus it's not terribly fun after the novelty wears off (aka wii shoverlware). This might be squarely aimed at the majority of comsumers, but I could see this putting people off games. 60$ for a 1 hour a week game isnt good money. Still it could drive down the stupid game prices. (its worse in europe. New games are 80$)

The controlerless enviroment doesn't work for lots of things. You lose quick response controls for the most part. Its more a game of charades than a normal human/computer experiance. The conputer has to interpret what it's trying to tell you, which if you are ina frantic situation isn't going to be interpreted as clearly as clicking a button on the move or whatever. In that respect the kinect is very limited to large generic movements. It doesn't track your fingers etc.

If kids are spending all day in front of the TV then its the parent's fault. They need to make their kids go play outside. Limit their gaming/TV time. You're right most kids don't have self control, that is what parents are for. Don't blame video games for people being obese. Its only the fault of people themselves.

I'm more worried about the length you could spend playing these games. I mean who here hasn't done 36hour gaming sessions? I have done 48 hour deathmatches and when I first got metal gear solid I played it 3 times from beginning to end. Then the 36 hour quake 2 on every difficulty marathon. On these kind of games, your going to get 1 hour max. Plus it's not terribly fun after the novelty wears off (aka wii shoverlware). This might be squarely aimed at the majority of comsumers, but I could see this putting people off games. 60$ for a 1 hour a week game isnt good money. Still it could drive down the stupid game prices. (its worse in europe. New games are 80$)

The controlerless enviroment doesn't work for lots of things. You lose quick response controls for the most part. Its more a game of charades than a normal human/computer experiance. The conputer has to interpret what it's trying to tell you, which if you are ina frantic situation isn't going to be interpreted as clearly as clicking a button on the move or whatever. In that respect the kinect is very limited to large generic movements. It doesn't track your fingers etc.

I thought I was bad when I used to play WoW for like a day straight. :p I agree that you won't be able to play long sessions but I can see playing more than once a week. If your playing with a couple of friends and having to alternate turns might prolong these sessions too.

I'm not putting this type of console on the same level as PC gaming or playing with a joystick or controller, because it's not. This is a different type of system all together. I could see sticking to what your used to and in addition playing with this a few times a week as well. I would never substitute my eyefinity setup for....well, anything really.

I agree that this is not the type of system to be playing shooters or anything dealing with needing a quick response. It would be a console that focuses more on timing, doing the right combination of movements etc. without the distraction of having a controller of sorts. The Wii, Move, and now Kinect will be a different type of system that is an addition to the household, not a replacement. Most people that I know that have the Wii also have a PS3 or Xbox as well.

If kids are spending all day in front of the TV then its the parent's fault. They need to make their kids go play outside. Limit their gaming/TV time. You're right most kids don't have self control, that is what parents are for. Don't blame video games for people being obese. Its only the fault of people themselves.

I won't disagree with this at all. Although, there will always be times that the kids will be able to get away with playing these games or watching TV for hours. If I had a fat kid, I would buy them a Kinect instead of a PS3 so that if they do want to play, they can't sit for hours to do it. I know this can be a little harsh but if you take away the means, the problem has less of a chance of becoming worse or goes away altogether.

Yeah, wait, no buttons? lolwhat?

Yeah, I think I will pass. In fact even if it did come with buttons I'm done with the current generation of consoles. They are starting to look outdated with the low rez.

Yeah, wait, no buttons? lolwhat?

Yeah, I think I will pass. In fact even if it did come with buttons I'm done with the current generation of consoles. They are starting to look outdated with the low rez.

Same reason most laptops suck penus.

there are times I would find motion control fun (or funny, maybe a couple of friends all drunk and suddenly hit the kinect,lol), im not against it. of course I would still use what is "easy" for me and enjoyable. and id admit that most of the time it would be the game controller still. but it would be really stupid for sony to attack the kinect which is "motion" controlled with their own "motion" controlled dildo solution just because it has buttons.

there are times I would find motion control fun (or funny, maybe a couple of friends all drunk and suddenly hit the kinect,lol), im not against it. of course I would still use what is "easy" for me and enjoyable. and id admit that most of the time it would be the game controller still. but it would be really stupid for sony to attack the kinect which is "motion" controlled with their own "motion" controlled dildo solution just because it has buttons.

I couldn't agree more. I wish at least one console maker would say "screw this motion control hype". Well, it's called PC gaming ;-).

Wow..didn't think this post out too well, did you?

What kind of response would you expect form a web site that is primarily focused (but not entirely) with gaming on a PC platform.

But yeah, thought it out pretty good. Still, I regret typing more than a few words on console gaming...

Back