yay! back from the dead

forcemac101

[H]ard|Gawd
hehe...longtime reader...been on computer tinkering break for about 4 years now...lets see...what have I missed...oh wait...TONS.

Did some reading through the threads and settled on a Q6600 with a GB DS3R. Here's what I am replacing....

P4-Northwood 3.0Ghz
AGP video...sold the 6800 that was originally in there years ago...i think a 5200 is in there right now
350Watt powersupply...

the only thing worth salvaging is my 74gb raptor....it's sad...I have to gut the system...New powersupply, new mobo, new ram, new video card, new heatsink....sigh...

Hoping to get back to 3.0ghz and be happy with the q6600...bought a noctua to go with it incase I want to go higher..

Anyhow...thanks for all the good info...now I have some tivo shows I have to get to divxing on the new system...

Hmm...lets see

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
G.Skill 2x2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Enermax PRO82+ EPR525AWT
EVGA 8600GT...really thought about the HD4850...but want something that will deter me from getting into gaming again....but still wanted to play with some GPU h.264 encoding...
Noctua NH-C12P Heatsink..

I have a SB Audigy2 and a Hauppauge TV tuner I might throw back in...I dunno..the Tivo does a good job, and I can transfer my HD recordings to the computer...

I didn't want to go crazy on everything, but I wonder if the powersupply will be ok....i also need to research how the new powersupplys play with APC's...I know there are some issues with powersupplys simulated sine output from battery backups. I have an older APC 500 ES...so I don't know how that will play with the new rig...

the Audigy2 doesnt work in Vista iirc
but onboard sound is just as well for vista

and i dont think the tuner will ether so youll ether have to ditch some ram or live with only 3.some useble in XP 32bit

yeah...still haven't decided on vista yet....probablly go the XP route and sacrifice some ram for a bit

Vista 64bit isnt bad really you should give it a try

Audigy 2 does so work in Vista... Latest driver was released just a few days ago...

http://support.creative.com/Product...e=Audigy&prodID=10653&prodName=Audigy+2+Value

This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows Vista® and Windows® XP support for Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® series audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy including Platinum and Platinum eX series
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 including Platinum, Platinum eX, and Value series
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS including Platinum and Platinum Pro series
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro and Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA
Added Features:
To find out the Product ID of your audio device and if it supports the following features in Windows XP, click here.
For systems using Windows Vista

Dolby® Digital and DTS® decode re-established for sound cards that included decoding in their Windows XP drivers.
DVD-Audio playback re-established for sound cards that included the application in their Windows XP software suite (For Windows Vista 32-bit only).
Requires the latest Creative MediaSource DVD-Audio Player software. Click here to download.
Fixes:

Resolves issues of intermittent and random application/system crash when playing games or running applications that use EAX®, DirectSound®, OpenAL and/or ASIO features.
Resolves issue of system crash when running DTM - Device Path Exerciser test in Windows Vista 64-bit.
Resolves issue of volume mapping leading to very soft volume level in systems using Windows Vista with Service Pack 1.
Resolves issue with distortion and noise occuring in systems with 4 GB of RAM or greater.
Resolves issue with OpenAL playback of multichannel formats.
Resolves issue of system crash when performing immediate system shutdown after exiting Battlefield 2.
Optimizations to OpenAL to improve performance in Unreal Tournament 3, DiRT, and other games.
Known Issues:

Applications from the original Sound Blaster Audigy CD will not work with this download on Windows Vista.
Users are advised to use Audio Console included in this download to change speaker configurations.
Gameport is not supported in Windows Vista and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
6.1 speaker mode is not supported by Windows Vista.
Requirements:

Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005 or Windows XP MCE 2004
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy audio devices listed above.
Notes:

DO NOT install this driver for Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, or Sound Blaster Audigy Value.
To install this driver
Download the file onto your local hard disk.
Double-click the downloaded file.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

You seem to be wanting a fairly high end system and then you kill it with that video card. Your reasoning is so you don't get back into gaming. If that is true, then why get a quad core machine that is good for heavy tasks and gaming...

You seem to be wanting a fairly high end system and then you kill it with that video card. Your reasoning is so you don't get back into gaming. If that is true, then why get a quad core machine that is good for heavy tasks and gaming...

I am going to be doing a lot of video encoding...a lot....most of it HD

I am going to be doing a lot of video encoding...a lot....most of it HD

I figured you would be doing that. Though I would look for a tad stronger video card. I do understand you reasoning against gaming. Also what case are you going to be throwing this stuff into??

I figured you would be doing that. Though I would look for a tad stronger video card. I do understand you reasoning against gaming. Also what case are you going to be throwing this stuff into??

Coolermaster ATC 201....I love this case...fit and finish on it is great not to mention functional.

fun...but DATED review....look at the components :)

Asus A7V 600...

I just sold mine a few months ago, damn was that thing a good MB... :cool:

Not related to the thread, but to the link, yes. Takes me back.

Always hard to catch up after an extended break from following the news, I'm in a similar process, good luck!

Why gut the old system? You might need it. Case in point: I am writing from my old XP machine. The RAM in my sig-rig is on RMA. Always good to have spares.

Got some of the goodies today! Everything came except the powersupply and HS came today....ah...I love the smell of new gear and that shiny new component begging for you to tear out the old one so it can have a home in your new rig.

CPU.JPG

MB.JPG

Back