Yarr... administration in XP?

phasmatis_nox

[H]ard|Gawd
A certain person somehow has hijacked my XP Pro machine. They created another user account, made that one administrative, and set mine to limited. The new account has a password, as does the native admin account. How can I get my privileges back?

Personally I would get the Admin Password from that certain person....which may or may not entail a severe beating about the head and shoulders :p

As well as the arms and legs.... but leave the mouth alone, so that between their shrieks of pain, they can give you the password.

Theres a program you may use called Passware XP , you might be able to find a trial version. I had to use it at my work when an employee was fired and wouldn't tell us the password to his computer. It basically resets the admin password to 12345.

Originally posted by MajorDomo
Personally I would get the Admin Password from that certain person....which may or may not entail a severe beating about the head and shoulders :p

Unfortunately not feasable.

Originally posted by Swat
Theres a program you may use called Passware XP , you might be able to find a trial version. I had to use it at my work when an employee was fired and wouldn't tell us the password to his computer. It basically resets the admin password to 12345.

Any idea where I might find this program?

Check here for freeware to edit the SAM file. I downloaded it a while ago, but have not tried it yet. You can make a bootable floppy or CD. As long as your disk is not encrypted, you should be good. Link to download is at the bottom of the page.

dog

http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm It has a demo version, but I don't actually think it will correct the situation...most likely crippleware. The full version is only $195 :eek:

Originally posted by Swat

Well, You could of booted into safe mode and login to admin account, then made a new account.
Then you could reboot and log into that account.
Then reset stuff

This should work if you are not on a domain or stuff like that

Originally posted by sigmend
Well, You could of booted into safe mode and login to admin account, then made a new account.
Then reset stuff

I think I remember reading that the Admin account had a new password too.

I thought I heard/read somewhere that you can boot off of a Win2K cd and it will log you in with Admin rights, without having to enter a password. Any truth to that?

Originally posted by waldog
I thought I heard/read somewhere that you can boot off of a Win2K cd and it will log you in with Admin rights, without having to enter a password. Any truth to that?
i highly doubt that, then anyone with a 2k cd could hack any 2k system. that wouldn't be good at all (assuming they could get it to boot of the cd)

Originally posted by waldog
Check here for freeware to edit the SAM file. I downloaded it a while ago, but have not tried it yet. You can make a bootable floppy or CD. As long as your disk is not encrypted, you should be good. Link to download is at the bottom of the page.

dog
this one's a trillion times better than that payware crap. I can't believe people actually pay $200 for something like that...

Originally posted by sigmend
Then reset stuff

Still wanted a password.

Well, now I have a new dilemma- I now am an administrator, everything looks the same as before. But I went to use the calendar by doubleclicking the clock- it told me I don't have the right privelges. What the heck!?! Anybody got an idea on this one?

Check and make sure which account you are logged in as since there seems to be an abundance of Admin accounts on your machine.

Originally posted by phasmatis_nox
Still wanted a password.

Well, now I have a new dilemma- I now am an administrator, everything looks the same as before. But I went to use the calendar by doubleclicking the clock- it told me I don't have the right privelges. What the heck!?! Anybody got an idea on this one?
are you in the Administrators GROUP, or is your account just called "Administrator"? I bet your friend renamed the original admin account and created a Guest or User account with name "Administrator".

The link waldog posted will allow you to change the ACTUAL admin account password.

There are 3 users on this machine. One limited, two "Administrators"- mine, and my dad's which was used to wreak the havoc(there was no password on there previously). There is also the "Administrator" user which does not normally show up on the login screen. Your idea sounds unlikely, since XP won't let you create a user called "Administrator".

Also, I don't remember putting a password on the "Administrator" account when I installed XP- is it normal for it to be asking for one by default? (That I don't know?!?)

Originally posted by phasmatis_nox

Same thing happened when I tried to do windows update... grr.

Back