Yamaha YSP-800 82-Watt Digital Sound Projector, Black -- $359.07 Shipped

XmagusX

Limp Gawd
Yamaha YSP-800 82-Watt Digital Sound Projector, Black

Not quite as nice as the Best Buy deals that are floating around in the B&M stores, but by far the best I've found online.

ysp800_tech.jpg

Product description:
Multi-channel surround sound enjoyment from a single compact component with IntelliBeam™ auto set-up — a perfect match for smaller video displays.
Digital amplifiers individually drive 21 sound drivers and two woofers to deliver true multi-channel surround sound for an elegant home theater system.
MAIN FEATURES
Multi-Channel Surround Sound from a Single Component

* Capable of delivering true 5.1 channel sound
* No need for extra wiring/speakers
* Wider range of optimum listening positions thanks to the proliferation of audio "sweet spots"

Thin Profile Designed to Match Flat Panel Displays

* Slim, compact design perfectly matches smaller video displays
* Can be wall mounted
* Design in more elegant, less obtrusive than multiple speaker boxes

Simple Connection and Flexible Placement

* No need for numerous speaker cables
* IntelliBeam™ Automated Calibration System

Full Enjoyment of Multi-channel Sources

* 5 Beam modes: 5 Beam, 3 Beam, Stereo + 3 B3am, Stereo and Target Mode
* 3 CINEMA DSP programs: Movie, Music, and Sports
* Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 compatibility
* Two Volume Modes: Night Listening Enhancer and TV Equal Volume Mode
* TruBass for more dynamic bass sound

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
any of you guys heard one of these in action? i was always curious to how well they performed.

You need a room with good sound reflective walls to get the best surround sound from this speaker.
Ideally the speaker will be placed dead in the middle of the wall so the side walls are the same distance from it.
Things like curtains, windows (the type that let air in), doors and furniture can get in the way of the reflected sound and affect the surround sound.
A uniform flat wall is best at the point where the sound is being reflected.

I read a fair amount about it when it was launched but have not heard one in person so cant comment on the quality.
Reports were that it was nice sounding and the surround could work very well but for most cases it isnt a full replacement for a 5.1 system.
Given its cost, thats not really surprising.

If you have limited space for speakers and you can place this the same distance from both side walls, it should do you well.
It is really for those that want 5.1 without the hassle of a full speaker setup.

Is this still alive? I check one of my BB today and all they have was the YSP-900 for full price

Back