Yahoo's Homepage Through The Years

Just a few months ago I started an yahoo email because I found a massive archive of a model and diorama makers notes, instructions and pfd's. To access the full deal I needed an account, the guys gave me permission to dload all of it but I have stayed in his group of 3, myself his wife and I. We have had some good chats and he has been showing me a ton of great stuff concerning a huge project I am getting ready to do at a local museum. This all to say that I finally found something good came from yahoo. This guy put it all on a yahoo group because he needed a place to store stuff and had no clue what else to do, I am glad I have been able to help him preserve a life time of his work in a much more secure and accessible environment.

I still keep it as a home page. It's a good mix of real news and random public interest stuff. Plus, the "Trending Now" list is a dead give away for other news that is happening in real time.
I've been hunting for a better home page for years and I have yet to find one that matches their sources that isn't ugly as sin.

Go there daily for personalized news and my portfolio. Still love it.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
It's my oldest email address I still use, mostly relegated to store signup duty and online invoices. I remember signing up on promotion to get a 6MB mailbox, which was 50% more free over their standard 4MB email accounts. As for the website itself, can't say I remember the last time I went there.

I still use my Yahoo email account that I have had for almost 20 years. However I can't recall the last time I used Yahoo's home page for anything.

If you want to see how Google's homepage has changed over the years just go to www.google.com. Other than some slight changes in the logo and the different art that appears each day, it has barely changed at all... That simple page that loaded far faster on a modem in 1999 than any other search engine, even more so than the quality of the search results, is why we now "google" things instead of "yahooing" them.

I still use Yahoo, tho back in the day Yahoo was the best place to go.

I use Yahoo for a spam trap and on-line ordering. For some reason, I have always liked their news format. Probably showing my age! Next, I'll pull up my pants past my armpits and start screaming for little kids to get off my lawn! (And I am only 38!)

Still primary email. Had it since last century and it is the primary email for most of my online accounts. Would be a PITA to change so inertia wins out. Every iteration of 'Improvement' seems to make it harder to use but it does do a good job of bit bucketing the spam.

Still use the main page as well. Often has a different list of stories then Google News or other sites.

It's been my home page for 18 years now. Why change??

I use Yahoo as a new source, well I used to until they removed the Local News feed from the home page just this year. Now I seldom go there.

I like my yahoo mail and "sometimes" their news is better.

Yahoo Finance is actually still quite good to be honest. I like it's interface better than Google Finance's.

My Yahoo address hasn't been compromised ever, and I don't get nearly as much spam as I do on my Gmail account.

As far as the homepage, I dislike the current iteration and it is not enjoyable to look through articles on the front page, so I view it sparingly and only when I check my mail. They also rush out some really stupid articles, or pull a lot of blog articles that are poorly written and not proofread. Much more clickbaity titles than they used to have.

I still use Excite.com... Not really, but that's about the timing of the last time I used Yahoo for anything other than their email (spam box).

I find all of these articles looking back at the "glory days" of Yahoo so silly.

I've been using the Internet since the early 90's, at least 1993 or so. I can not remember a time when Yahoo, and was not made fun of as something for old people and the tech illiterate.

As soon as Digital launched Altavista, Yahoo went from silly to completely passé and irrelevant.

Once Google launched everything else became instantly obsolete, and this was the way it was until Bing came around, but Bing is still a distant second to Google.

Since 1994, you either went to altavista.digital.com or google.com for your search, or you really didn't know what you were doing and got laughed at.

There was a period of time where Yahoo's front page search engine actually DID use Google. Those were good times - the best of both worlds.

Back