Yahoo Weather Widget stopped working after Win updates

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
This happened on both my Win7 and Win10 PCs. ESET Smart Security is set correctly the the Windows Firewall is disabled since ESS is running.

Any ideas? Miss this widget.

I'm having the same problem with my Rainmeter weather widgets.

I've seen quite a few similar problems online, but no solutions, yet. :(

From what I understand, it's a Yahoo problem. No fix is planned. Besides, Yahoo has much bigger problems to keep them occupied. Would be nice if there was a way to use a different weather service with these widgets.

In this path (C:\Users\sbmon\AppData\Local\Yahoo\Widget Engine\Widget Data\Yahoo! Weather) I found "location data.db" but I've got nothing to open it with to edit this database file. I really like this little widget but don't know where the file is to try to update the link for weather.

Edit: Think I solved the issue below. We'll see. The USB port on the Nexus 7 has been bit tricky. I noticed when the micro USB end was plugged into the Nexus 7 it seemed a little loose. I used a took to slightly tweak the port to make the fit a bit more snug. Time will tell.

By they way..why does File Explorer in Window 10 randomly close? PITA!! I'm up to date. I'll have to play with it more but it seems to happen when I have my Nexus 7 or Note 5 attached. May happen otherwise as well..but not sure.

Last edited:
Yahoo changed their API recently, old widgets for all platforms no longer work. You'll either need to update the code to fetch from their new API, wait for the original author to do it, or use a different widget.

Only suggestion I have is Notepad to try to open that location.data.db file.

OK - I have it all working again.

I've been using the Yahoo Weather widget for so many years, that I just had to find a fix. I keep the engine running mainly for this widget. I went through *every* other widget/gadget/win OS weather app available (I think it was over 50) and none came close to this one. Well, one came close - MSN weather gadget - but it suffers from what all other gadgets fail at:

- graphics are the best with the Yahoo weather widget
- the layout is still the nicest/cleanest
- the biggest advantage is that you can easily/quickly change location. All other solutions require you to go into Options/search/change location. None are as quick/nice as this widget.

So, the solution.

This was done after much searching/testing.

First, you have to decompile the widget. Any changes made to the widget will make the widget fail unless you decompile it (or perhaps better wording is 'unpack' it). You need the 'Widget Converter' widget (I can't post links yet to this forum, as this is my first post). But there are tutorials on how to program widgets (Konfabulator widget programming). This converter simply unpacks the Yahoo weather widget into it's component parts. The file you need to edit is main.js (javascript), in the Scripts directory, line 572, replace the url for 'yahoowidget' to 'wxdata'. Simple text editor is fine to use. (note, I even used the waybackmachine to find links to the widget converter and pdf's of tutorials on how to program widgets)

I was just lucky to find this url from another forum where there was an obscure reference to this url. So, I tried it and magically all started to work again. Again, I would like to post that link, but can't yet. It was a thread on remote central p3 of the discussion titled 'replacement for weather xml feed' a comment by 'Fischi'.

Open the weather.kon file from within Yahoo Wigget engine and it should all start to work again. It does for me, and it seems much quicker than in the past.

I hope this feed link continues for some time with weather.com

I even got in touch with the author of the widget to firstly thank him for his work that I've used all these years, then to ask for his help, but then after I found the fix, I then let him know (and he replied).

I was thinking of having to deconstruct the entire logic of the widget to work out how to accept the feed from another site (if I could find an XML source in the first place).

I've been using the Yahoo Weather widget for so many years, that I just had to find a fix. I keep the engine running mainly for this widget. I went through *every* other widget/gadget/win OS weather app available (I think it was over 50) and none came close to this one. Well, one came close - MSN weather gadget - but it suffers from what all other gadgets fail at:

- the biggest advantage is that you can easily/quickly change location. All other solutions require you to go into Options/search/change location. None are as quick/nice as this widget.

So, the solution.

First, you have to decompile the widget. Any changes made to the widget will make the widget fail unless you decompile it (or perhaps better wording is 'unpack' it). You need the 'Widget Converter' widget (I can't post links yet to this forum, as this is my first post). But there are tutorials on how to program widgets (Konfabulator widget programming). This converter simply unpacks the Yahoo weather widget into it's component parts. The file you need to edit is main.js (javascript), in the Scripts directory, line 572, replace the url for 'yahoowidget' to 'wxdata'. Simple text editor is fine to use. (note, I even used the waybackmachine to find links to the widget converter and pdf's of tutorials on how to program widgets)

I was just lucky to find this url from another forum where there was an obscure reference to this url. So, I tried it and magically all started to work again. Again, I would like to post that link, but can't yet. It was a thread on remote central p3 of the discussion titled 'replacement for weather xml feed' a comment by 'Fischi'.

Open the weather.kon file from within Yahoo Wigget engine and it should all start to work again. It does for me, and it seems much quicker than in the past.

I even got in touch with the author of the widget to firstly thank him for his work that I've used all these years, then to ask for his help, but then after I found the fix, I then let him know (and he replied).

I was thinking of having to deconstruct the entire logic of the widget to work out how to accept the feed from another site (if I could find an XML source in the first place).
I tried to edit the post above...but I just noticed the video above has this same fixed url

Had to sign up just to thank you. I downloaded the Widget Converter v 2.6 from Softpedia. Scanned for viruses :), then followed your instructions and they worked like a charm. Only thing I did differently was edit main.js with Word. Seemed a little more "format freindly" than notepad. BTW, my main.js had the text yahoowidget.weather.com in two locations. Changed both to wxdata.weather.com. Restarted the widget per your instructions, checked the widget data against WeatherUnderground and seems to be working great! Can't thank you enough for the easy to follow instructions. Kudos!

Glad it helped.
Yes - that other location is in line 1741 under function locationSearch - but in my tests it didn't need changing.
I was thinking if there was demand (and if I got permission from the author, which I think I would get) I could post the modified widget somewhere (maybe here) to make it easier for folks. Then again, there may be little or no demand.
BTW, the extended forcecast button links to a broken page at weather.com - but I never used it, so didn't bother trying to fix that.

Exactly! I downloaded the Widget Converter.widget and dropped the weather widget onto it which decompiled it so I could update the main.js file (two places for me also). Recompiling was easy as well as the converter asks you what you want to do. When you update the .js file you simply drop the main Yahoo! Weather folder back onto the Widget Converter widget that runs on the desktop and select Flat File. The run the weather widget. Looks like I need to add some of my locations back (or maybe I did that at only at work?). It's running.

However, how can I get the text to look more clear. All else seems to be okay in Win10 Pro but the text for the days and temps looks fuzzy.

Last edited:
Here you go;

Konfabulator Widget Engine

All links for Konfabulator Yahoo Widgets are here...they are links to Google Drive files...and the decompiler is there...the tutorial is good to read.

*Edit: I didn't recompile it (yet) - I just ran it as it was...and all was fine for me

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a way to adjust the size it displays on the desktop within the .js file. I have a 32" LED set to 2560x1440.

So, the solution.

Thanks so much for figuring out this solution. It worked perfectly (and surprisingly easily) for my computer. It's great to have that Widget back online.

This worked perfectly. I have my weather widget back! Thanks so much! And while I was editing main.js I also replaced the link in line 1451 with a valid URL to get the Extended Forecast link at the bottom of the widget working again.

Last edited:
Again, it does not work. What could be the problem?

It works, but the city does not own. Already I scared.....

Last edited:
A really enormous thanks to bob432 for this fix !

I have another issue with this widget : I updated the main.js file, the widget did well for a time, then all of a sudden, the pictures/icons displaying the weather disappeared. The temp is ok, the extended forecast is ok but no more graphic display. One odd thing tho, my main town is Paris (france), if I select another town like Bordeaux, pictures/icons are displayed correctly but as soon as I switch back to Paris, all graphic material is gone...

Any idea someone ?

The Yahoo Weather Widget stopped working again the other day and doesn't load anymore. Changes? Be great to get it back up and running again.

what do you mean by "not working" ? Mine is still working even with the issue I mentionned about some temperatures not displayong graphic state for the weather for my particular town (Paris, france).

I noticed the issue of the widget not loading on a neighbour's computer (win 10) and I assume it is some kind of windows corruption. I suggest you manage to install a fresh iwndows copy and try again.

By the way did someone try to use anoter weather provider ?

PS: I did contact the support at weather.com for my graphic issue, they didn't even bother to reply (bastards)

what do you mean by "not working" ? Mine is still working even with the issue I mentionned about some temperatures not displayong graphic state for the weather for my particular town (Paris, france).

I noticed the issue of the widget not loading on a neighbour's computer (win 10) and I assume it is some kind of windows corruption. I suggest you manage to install a fresh iwndows copy and try again.

By the way did someone try to use anoter weather provider ?

PS: I did contact the support at weather.com for my graphic issue, they didn't even bother to reply (bastards)

Not sure how to be more clear about the issue. I have no plans to install a fresh copy of Win10. Trust me, things are fine with my install. No issues, just with Yahoo Weather again.

Not sure how to be more clear about the issue. I have no plans to install a fresh copy of Win10. Trust me, things are fine with my install. No issues, just with Yahoo Weather again.

Mine is working well and I've installed it on other boxes so it must be your configuration...
You can install a fresh copy of windows in a virtual machine just to prove my point or not : you can use microsoft virtual pc (free for any genuine owner of windows) or any other software (vmware for instance). Here's the link for microsoft virtual pc :
As I'm from france, the site provided me with a french nstaller, just make sure you select the right language first.

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=3702

of course I assume you made the url change required and didn't change/broke anything else...

I forgot, if you're on windows 8 or 10, you'll just have to install hyper-V :
- go to control panel
- click on windows features
- expand the hyper-v sub section and check/enable) all the related sections/options
- click OK

I grew weary of this issue and stopped using any of Rainmeter's weather-related functions.

I have 2 different Android apps that try to use Yahoo Weather and they're shaky as hell as of late, too. The app devs claim it's Yahoo's issue, which doesn't surprise me.

As I'm not a coder and lately I had issues with the widget (not) rendering some graphic material, I noticed also today a discrepancy between 2 towns less than 10kms apart, I threw away this widget and tried a waether widget for xwidget ( http://www.xwidget.com/ ) (I was using it to display time and date on my desktop).

I've found a really nice widget on deviantart for it but there're plenty
http://xwidgetsoft.deviantart.com/art/OmLive-Weather-311143056

there is even a yahoo weather widget alike
http://boyzonet.deviantart.com/art/Tiny-Weather-for-XWidget-289065446

besides the absence of the seven day forecast

Last edited:
I am wondering.. does anybody know where this yahoo weather widget stores it's icons ? (the ones used to depict the current weather condition)

Edit : Don't bother, it was a stupid question, I've found out...

Last edited:
As I've described recently, having issues with yahoo weather widget lead me to the best alternative possible.

As for widgets, there are many options available like rainmeter or the old samurize (I still have one config on my win7 desktop), specific widgets engines are scarse since the death of yahoo widgets so I used xwidgets (http://www.xwidget.com/).

I've managed to port the excellent yahoo weather widget to xwidget and here is the 1st release with some details to be tweaked but the overall is here...

240023Snap92.jpg

458969Snap90.jpg

212864Snap91.jpg

This version supports transparency and sliding. The next will implement colorization and background customiisation, the last one will use animated weather icons.

The weather being from accuweather isn't a bad thing considering the relative fiability of weatherunderground

You will be able to download it from my deviantart account soon http://charlene75017.deviantart.com/gallery/ )...

Back