Yahoo Secretly Scanned Customer Emails For U.S. Intelligence

HardOCP News

[H] News
At this point, you could tell me Yahoo secretly stole customer's children and put them to work as hackers in China and I would believe you. I remember back when I had high hopes that Marissa Mayer was going to turn Yahoo around. :(

Yahoo Inc last year secretly built a custom software program to search all of its customers' incoming emails for specific information provided by U.S. intelligence officials, according to people familiar with the matter. The company complied with a classified U.S. government directive, scanning hundreds of millions of Yahoo Mail accounts at the behest of the National Security Agency or FBI, said two former employees and a third person apprised of the events.

Good thing I never used Yahoo. I think the definition of their name was one turnoff. The noun not the exclamation.

Get as far away from Yahoo as you can and tell everyone else to do the same.

I can't believe this happened so recently. This news is worse than Amazon removing encryption from its hardware because encryption is only "for enterprise".

Wonder how long before other email providers admit doing the same? Find it hard to believe that US officials would only target Yahoo.

Back