Yahoo Ordered To Pay $2.7B In Mexican Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ha ha, the jokes on those guys! Like Yahoo actually has 2.7 billion dollars to pay anyone. Hell, I don't think Yahoo has 2.7 billion pesos. :D

A Mexican court walloped Yahoo with a huge judgment today, ordering it to pay $2.7 billion to a couple companies accusing it of breaching contract related to a yellow pages listings service.

breaching contract related to a yellow pages listings service.

What happened to the good ol days where if you broke a contract you had to pay up on the value of that contract, I doubt this company paid $2.7billion for ads, and I doubt they lost $2.7B in business as a result of whatever yahoo didn't do.

Kind of like stealing music, "shit you caught me, here's $20" not "if you dont want to be taken to court that'll cost you $5000" or "Judgement is for the plaintiff for $125,000 for each song"

This is just part of a larger trend where foreign courts basically treat American companies like cookie jars, gifting tons of money to local companies.

Is this even enforceable? I mean this is bloody Mexico - who cares?

how can anyone care about or trust anything coming from mexico.. shouldnt they be more concerned about the 80 headless tortured bodies they find in a ditch every week..

Somehow I doubt that the value of continuing to do business in Mexico would be worth paying the fine.

This is just part of a larger trend where foreign courts basically treat American companies like cookie jars, gifting tons of money to local companies.

agreed, i'd love to see one of them say fuck you and pull all its business outta that country

2.7 billion for yellow page listings? Yeah, I don't think the entire yellow book is worth that much.

hahahahahaha

2.7 billion in damages

Flat out fuck off Mexico, nobody in fucking existence would fucking enforce this

I doubt it cost a million dollars to print a phone book for every single resident of Mexico per year, I would like to see how this translates into 2.7 BILLION in "Lost sales"

As Duke Nukem would say "Blow it out your ass"

What is Mexico going to do if Yahoo doesn't pay? Send the rest of their population over to the U.S. illegally?

States do this to out of state companies too in a large way.

In fact I've seen bigger judgments.

Yes but bigger judgement because some judge was up on his high horse not because the companies payed/threatened to kill the judges family if he didn't rule in their favor

Isn't that like ten times the GDP of Mexico? They'd never have to sell oranges on street corners ever again.

What happened to the good ol days where if you broke a contract you had to pay up on the value of that contract, I doubt this company paid $2.7billion for ads, and I doubt they lost $2.7B in business as a result of whatever yahoo didn't do.

Kind of like stealing music, "shit you caught me, here's $20" not "if you dont want to be taken to court that'll cost you $5000" or "Judgement is for the plaintiff for $125,000 for each song"

That type of deterrence doesn't work. Damages need to be measurably higher than the cost of the service/contract. Now 2.7B is extreme, but the idea that "just force them to even up and call it a day" will just flood the justice system.

Let me explain. You run make a deal, now if the worst thing that can happen to you from shorting the advertising by say... 10% of what was sold is that you need to even up, you are actually incented to try to short the advertising. If you short them and get away with them not noticing, you freed up advertising time to sell to two people! Scam successful! If you get caught, the worst that happens is you just have to live up to your deal, ie -- you didn't actually lose anything. If you have nothing to lose, you might as well try. If there weren't massive penalties everyone would constantly be trying to scam everyone (not that scamming doesn't happen now, but a lot less than if these punitive judgments didn't exist).

If you only punish crimes in an equal to value manor than why would anyone not commit crimes? I mean I break the contract I have to pay up so what? But if the punishments is more than the item you stole or messed up then you have an incentive to be honest because it will cost you more down the line.

Back