Yahoo has taken over Firefox seach.

Hi all, I'm just noticing that my default search engine in Firefox has changed from Google to Yahoo without me doing so, and I actually can't change it back to Google after many attempts. In my searching I saw that apparently Mozilla has made a deal with Yahoo to make Yahoo the default, but I physically can't change it back to Google at all. I've looked in my apps list and there is nothing Yahoo related, and I tried changing some lines in the about:config screen in Firefox from Yahoo to Google to no avail. Does anyone else have this issue or have heard of it and have a fix? I'm running Windows 10, thanks.

Eww.

Although I primarily use Chrome, I just checked Firefox, and it's fine.

You could use Firefox Sync to save everything as it is right now (assuming everything else seems to be working), then do the reset of it under about:support, then restore things with Sync and see what happens, can't hurt.

Dropping a browser for one single thing like this that can be resolved even if you have do a clean install of Firefox at some point is a bit extreme I'd say.

Switching to Chrome would have been a last resort, I was still going to try whatever I could to fix it. Speaking of that, I didn't even know about the about:support page, I went in there and saw there was something called "safesearch.incognito" under extensions that I didn't know was there. I removed that and all is good now, thanks for the help!

Hi all, I'm just noticing that my default search engine in Firefox has changed from Google to Yahoo without me doing so, and I actually can't change it back to Google after many attempts. In my searching I saw that apparently Mozilla has made a deal with Yahoo to make Yahoo the default, but I physically can't change it back to Google at all. I've looked in my apps list and there is nothing Yahoo related, and I tried changing some lines in the about:config screen in Firefox from Yahoo to Google to no avail. Does anyone else have this issue or have heard of it and have a fix? I'm running Windows 10, thanks.
At one point there was a version of FF that had a bug that caused people to switch back to the default but it was fixed. There are also add-ons and programs that can cause this. My default is Google and when I updated to 56 it stayed Google. What version are you on?

Here's a link that might help:

It's driving me nuts, I'm about to switch to Chrome because of it.
Seems kind of steep considering its obviously a bug if it is happening. The Internet would be blowing up right now if Firefox forced Yahoo search.

I really hate this. Have to switch back to google every 1st time using firefox on a computer.

Sounds like you installed something with a Yahoo Toolbar...

1. Back up your bookmarks and passwords.
  2. Revo Uninstaller Portable
  3. Uninstall Firefox, scrub the registry and scrub any remaining files.
  4. Reboot the machine.
  5. Fresh reinstall of Firefox 57.0.4
  6. Restore your bookmarks and passwords.

Firefox switched back from using Yahoo search last year
https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/14/m...nd-makes-google-the-default-in-firefox-again/

check your addons list for any of these and remove them
SafeSearch Incognito
SearchAssist Incognito
Search for Fire Fox
SafeSearch ch
SafeSearch net
File Convertor and Search Addon

you can also disable addons that you don't know (just re-enable them if they are useful)

a Malwarebytes scan wouldn't hurt

Back