Yahoo: 1B Accounts Exposed In Newly Discovered Security Breach

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to wonder what the hell Verizon is thinking right about now. It's not like Yahoo has ever been the most competent company on the planet but setting a record for the largest breach in history is mind-blowing.

Yahoo Inc warned it had uncovered yet another massive cyber attack, saying data from more than 1 billion user accounts was compromised in August 2013, making it the largest breach in history. The number of affected accounts was double the scope of an attack in 2014 that the internet company disclosed in September. News of that attack, which affected at least 500 million accounts, prompted Verizon Communication Inc (VZ.N) to say in October that it might withdraw from an agreement to buy Yahoo's core internet business for $4.83 billion.

Probably why my spam has increased exponentially over the past couple/few years. Yahoo, cowboys and cowgirls.

Wait... so their saying what they thought was originally 500 million compromised accounts is now 1 billion and they can't figure out how it happened? What I find puzzling is how did they not figure out the whole billion the first time?

Wait... so their saying what they thought was originally 500 million compromised accounts is now 1 billion and they can't figure out how it happened? What I find puzzling is how did they not figure out the whole billion the first time?

No. the 1 billion is from 2013 while the 500 million is from 2014. Two separate breaches.

Yahoo just keeps looking better and better!

I think I'll take up a collection at the shop and see if my people want to buy it with our coffee money.

This might seem a bit assholeish, but who the fuck still uses Yahoo? and why?

At one time, Yahoo was my throwaway account that I used to register for online accounts. A 100 or so accounts later, not so throwaway. And their spam filter is pretty good. Be a PITA to switch and no guarantee that a new email provider would be any better long term.

These breaches do highlight the security risks of forcing online account names to be email addresses.

This might seem a bit assholeish, but who the fuck still uses Yahoo? and why?

I have relatives that use AT&T / Yahoo accounts for personal use, and they were sending phishing emails around 2013-2014 that basically sent malicious links to their entire address book. This is probably why changing their passwords in response to these emails didn't make any difference.

Yahoo gets more compromised than Mia Khalifa.

My friend applied for an intern position there and got shut down. At least he won't have to worry about his position getting cancelled.

Probably why my spam has increased exponentially over the past couple/few years. Yahoo, cowboys and cowgirls.
If that's true, then I wasn't included in the breach (even though Yahoo sent me a notice today), because there's been nothing noticeably different in the various accounts I have. Even my spam account gets less spam than it did a few years ago (though maybe that's just them putting it all in the spam folder).

I still use yahoo because i've had an email account on there since '97. Gmail wasn't around at the time and almost every other system was ass (hotmail?).
I think it's time to shut down that account.

pretty sure the same group that went after people's lines of communication was likely using defcon to find the vulnerabilities then paying programmers to go work for companies leave backdoors for cs personal to leave open, that kind of data had to be physically breaking into server farms and or logging in remotely and literary downloading everything. Considering it was 2013 august there was something joking referred to as hack the planet at defcon... then from there people's social media accounts were targeted and taken over by several groups trying to take over the rights to movies, music, and likely technology as well. Likely it was simply an attempt to have the insider trading covered up by having layers of minor attacks covering what ever target they wanted. I know one of the targets was every member of SAGAFTRA phone numbers and their families were targeted. Several companies moved assets up to canada then lost them to fake victim courts... they would be held in offices not in the public court system.

Likely it was simply a bunch of people that got screwed out money from someone attacking as many targets as they could via social engineering to cover the crime they did not want people to find out. The database was in china at that point so it could be a number of targets. But that is also after the guy who got fired for getting caught about lieing on his resume as CEO of yahoo... so likely the stolen phone numbers and the email and social media accounts means someone wanted to rewrite history and steal something. If the DHS figures out what the target was that group wanted they likely will have enough information to follow it back to where the attacks started and with attacks like that, the group simply did too much for there not to be details they missed like connecting over multiple severs that might have swapped to backup sets between the attack and cleaning up after it.

My guess is there is lot of money that went missing some where and someone is laughing at all the people they hurt to gain it since people are still looking around trying to figure out what happened. Pretty sure colnee's statement of not being able to arrest them all likely was the line that gave someone inspriation to try and simply get enough people attacking so that when they get arrested some would get missed so that the idiots think they would be the ones missed or they simply pretended to be cops and arrested people then fled the country with what ever gains they stole while everyone was looking around trying to figure out what was going on.

Back