Xtreme Low Q6600 G0 Temp on Air !!! (Lots of Pics)

Tiramisu, I have a few questions.

#1 Did you take off any of the mobo cooling sinks/pipes and clean up the goop and reapply?

#1a Are you using any aftermarket HS/F's on the chipset or mosfets?

#2 Was there any problems or mods you needed to perform for the backplate to mount properly with that Extreme?

#3 Any idea what kind of power draw you have when the cpu is under load at those speeds?

Thanks for your time.

Ans #1: Nope, it's not necessary. This time, Asus has done a great job for cooling the P5K-Deluxe chipset using heatpipe based configuration to cool both the chipset and mosfets. The stock thermal pads were stuck on really good and all heatsinks on board are only warm to touch even stressed at its max 1.7v / 1.5v NB and FSB respectively. The stock heatpipe based cools the chipset and mosfets adequately so there's no need to take them apart like in the past with P5B-Dlx or P5W-DH, etc.

Ans #2/3: I bought the TR U120 X a while back when NCIX got a new shipment from them. The heatsink's base was extremely convex, hence relatively poor heat dispensing capability with my previous lapped golden E6700. I DID NOT even need to both modifying the backplate like you've seen from some people who did the "penny mod or watever" becouse the heatsink sits VERY FIRM and snuggly on top of the IHS when all 4 bolts are bolted down. I did however took off the thin "X" shape clear plastic piece and the "[ ]" square sticky film off the back plate becouse THAT IS WHAT causing the backplate not sticking in to the 4 LGA775 mobo holes all the way in. They're blocking the backplate and thus maybe that's why some people can't tightly secure the heatsink and need to modify the secure bracket or whatever. Sorry it's really hard to describe but I hope you can get the picture :)

Ans #4: No idea but I'm using Corsair HX620w and that's proven to be the BEST PSU in the 600W+ category. It's being proven by numerous PSU pro testers with a meter to see its ripple / load, 12v, 5v etc underload. I wouldn't worry about the PSU but it's definetely recommand to get some quality 500w+ PSU for Q6600 + 8800GTS for example.

Yes, he's running at fairly relaxed memory speeds considering the sticks he's using. This is probably for one of two reasons:

1. Testing out the OC at low memory speeds to find the max CPU overclock, and then incrementally bumping the memory up once you find the CPU's limit. This is good practice in general.
2. The second would be if he was running 4x1GB sticks; this makes it harder to OC the memory. However, he only has 2 gigs, so I dunno.

Yes, your assumptions are right BUT I already know what my Ballistix Tracers 8500 can do if you see my first post in the first page. It's exactly the same ram kit as in my previous xtreme OC'ed E6700 at low volts on air.

I do actually have a second set of ballistix tracers 8500 in hand right now to make up a total of 4x1gb configuration for my Vista x64. But worry about that later...;)

I'm finally back.

Alright, to answer a few questions, my VID is 1.2625 so this generally means the chip has better overclock-ability @ lower given volts for the same clock as the same chip running at same clock speed. For example, someone need 1.45v to get 3.6~3.7 stable but I only need about 1.38v load to get 3.6+ stable.

VID doesn't determine your overclock-ability in terms of your chips' max FSB or clock speed but it has to do with the voltage that's needed to acheive those speed. At stock speed 2.4ghz, we each start off with different voltage being different VID from chip to chip. I started of at 1.23v (1.26v VID) at 2.4ghz and some may start off at 1.28v (1.30v VID) at the same 2.4ghz for our Q6600 G0s.

An update on the new high OC progress:

You guys all know I'm testing my xtreme quad OC on AIR right so ambient def plays a very significant role here. I was having terrific luck running 3780mhz at only 1.45v load with ambient temp being 19c~20c in the early morning.

Now the ambient has rise up to 26~28c all afternoon and it's considerable warm at the current time - 7:30pm PST so I need to back down on the clock : volts a little bit. So far I know for sure of is that this chip is capable of getting prime stable at 3700mhz ++ that's for sure. 3.8ghz may even be possible if we're on a different season :p

But you gotta love summer time and the sun shine and we're all hiding inside OC-ing like bunch of geeks...lol no offense, saying that including myself :p

So I'd say Max stable OC for this season will be in the low-mid 3700mhz and given that, it's still an outstanding OC on air. Expect 3.8ghz+ on air towards the end of the year ;)

This screen shot is just to show the effect of increased ambient temp and its relation to the core temps.

50min+ Small fft full load on all 4 cores. (This isn't the max stable OC if you haven't seen my previous screen shots)

highambient2ke9.jpg

Anyhow, I'll update the next screen shot shortly.
Thanks to everyone who has participated in the thread :)

i got a noob question.. how did u run so many prime on different cores? Im doing it the stupid way, changing the shortcut and opening 4 prime at once... but it seems all ur primes are open in one window? How do u do that =S

oh and 1 more question, when i try to run prime on my fourth core, it runs for a few seconds and i get a fatalerror and the test for that core stops. What does that mean?

thanks in advanced!

I will post up my results with my G0 tomorrow. Right now with 1.375v in the bios I am at 9x366 which is a nice 3.3ghz with my ram running at 2:3 which is 1100 or 550 for some who get confused. The temps are nice as the chip just hits 60c on core 1 and 2 while the other 2 cores are at 56c.

i got a noob question.. how did u run so many prime on different cores? Im doing it the stupid way, changing the shortcut and opening 4 prime at once... but it seems all ur primes are open in one window? How do u do that =S

oh and 1 more question, when i try to run prime on my fourth core, it runs for a few seconds and i get a fatalerror and the test for that core stops. What does that mean?

thanks in advanced!

Hi there, no prob asking noob questions, I was a noob myself only half year ago...yep I learn fast cos I spent too much of my time OC for the past time..

1. Please download the new Prime to stress test all 4 cores. It's very user friendly. ;)
http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/P95V253.ZIP

2. You need to give me more infos. What was the *Clock speed, *Voltage* and *FSB to get prime failure? If it's all stock, then it may be the hardware itself is faulty but I highly doubt that.

911955085_f0ff16f216_b.jpg

and now i can't open coretemp, whenever i open it my comp would reboot =[

also, why is the voltage much lower than the one i set in bios?

WTF, my Q6600 cpu temp is at 128c, this is after I finished playing UT. It's stuck at 128c, is it a bug? My Asus Ai is also displaying 127c.

WTF, my Q6600 cpu temp is at 128c, this is after I finished playing UT. It's stuck at 128c, is it a bug? My Asus Ai is also displaying 127c.

I can already see what the problem is
If you take a look at one of my screenshot with speedfan in it, you can see one of my temp is also at 122c but yours is at 128c. BUT my 122c shows as the "AUX" temp which is something I cannot explain but something to do with the mobo's max temp of a certain part and every P35 board has this whether it's 122c or 128c from others.

Your speedfan is displaying 128c for the CPU and 53c for the AUX and I tell you it's reading it the other way around that's for sure. You must've changed some of the settings in speedfan, un-install it and re-install it again.

Now take a look at your core temp = 30s and when you +15c on top of your core temp values you get the 53c as reported for your AUX but it's actually your CPU temp.

+15c becouse speedfan isn't reading quad core's 100 Tjunction properly as it reads only at 85c Tjunction like C2Ds. So when it's reading the DTS from the CPU diadode, it can't properly give you the right formula to calucate it which is Tjunction - DTS = coretemps.
If you can read through the posts I made regarding this through the pages in this thread, you'd understand more :)

I will post up my results with my G0 tomorrow. Right now with 1.375v in the bios I am at 9x366 which is a nice 3.3ghz with my ram running at 2:3 which is 1100 or 550 for some who get confused. The temps are nice as the chip just hits 60c on core 1 and 2 while the other 2 cores are at 56c.

Please change your nick... :D

Yes, ambient play a big role with aircooling indeed. I didn't have a chance to find a stable setting over 3.2 GHz because the ambient kept hovering at 28-30C (Damn poor air circulation in my basement). I will do another attempt when the ambient get more reasonable but it's not before 1 week :(

Anyway, this will be moot when I finish setting up watercooling to unleash this puppy along with a P5K.

Impressive. I'll have to see what mine can do on a GA-P35-DSR3 with a Tuniq Tower, but it probably won't get here until next week unfortunately.

I am planning to start a similar build utilizing the GA-P35-DS3P with a Tuniq Tower. My parts will all be here by Thursday. My CPU coming from NCIXUS will hopefully be here by Monday.

Are you lapping the Tuniq Tower? I've seen the bottom of it from the reviews and it certainly looks like it could use it.

Looking forward to seeing your results and see how they compare with what I get.

Yes, ambient play a big role with aircooling indeed. I didn't have a chance to find a stable setting over 3.2 GHz because the ambient kept hovering at 28-30C (Damn poor air circulation in my basement). I will do another attempt when the ambient get more reasonable but it's not before 1 week :(

Anyway, this will be moot when I finish setting up watercooling to unleash this puppy along with a P5K.

I'll be anticipating your results my friend :D
Thanks for participating in my other thread in XS as well :)

watercooling is def the way to go for cooling the quad but thanks to G0 stepping, air cooling for quad can still be extremly fun and exciting :D

I am planning to start a similar build utilizing the GA-P35-DS3P with a Tuniq Tower. My parts will all be here by Thursday. My CPU coming from NCIXUS will hopefully be here by Monday.

Are you lapping the Tuniq Tower? I've seen the bottom of it from the reviews and it certainly looks like it could use it.

Looking forward to seeing your results and see how they compare with what I get.

I might lap it, but I've never done it before and I'd have to look into the process and what kind of benefits it would yield. The bottom of the Tuniq did look rather coarse from the reviews I looked at for it.

WTF, my Q6600 cpu temp is at 128c

To the best of my knowledge, Intel has removed the temperature diode in the Quads that SpeedFan used to use to report the CPU temperature. Intel went to multiple digital thermal sensors being located directly on the cores at their hottest spots so the old CPU diode became meaningless information and Intel eliminated it. Core temperatures are definitely the way to go.

I'm not sure what is displayed in a motherboard bios now for cpu temperature which was also based on this diode. It likely depends on each individual motherboard.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Allow me to present you Prime Stable @ 3744mhz results !!

The system has being running nonstop for two days. So far Prime stable for 4 hours and 20mins and counting!

Overall this is one FANTASTIC chip that's prime stable on air at 1.4560v and still under Intel Thermal Spec's 71c :D I can't get any happier than this.

(Notice that my Ballistix Tracers 8500 are running below its stock clock? nevermind that bcos it's capable of going up to DDR2 1200 or 600mhz at the current given volt of 2.2 and timings ;)
My next screen shot in the near future will show much tighter latency at the current clock and voltage, hopefully)

3744primestableg0q66001hr3.jpg

3744primestableg0q6600trj9.jpg

Jesus christ, back the hell down dude! Your load temps are insane on that last one!

Just because I feel bad...here's my lowly E4300 overclock.

e4300.png

Budget overclocking FTW :p

This is great news, indeed. It makes me wish cost central would hurry up and ship out the q6700 that I got (for $350.. it was a [H]ot deal).. With the 10x multiplier I can try to overclock all the way up to 4.0ghz.... with 800mhz ram it would be a 1:1 mapping... If the Q6700 is binned slightly better, (to account for the extra 266mhz stock speed) then it very well may be possible to get one up to 4.0ghz with a Tuniq Tower 120... it all depends on if the Q6700s are as good of OCer's as the Q6600s 'appear' to be.

In any case, it has me excited.

Im glad to see you happy.

I was very pleased with my q6600 b3. It can OC 3.7 and more. But for piece of mind, I run at 3.2 to 3.4. I doubt anyone wont hit 3g's on these chips. For most, that damn good for what you're getting.

Really? What timings, volts etc. to get 3.7Ghz?

My B3 reached 3.3Ghz ... i'm gonna try 3.4 tonight(go more tips earlier).

US

theres a lot of things that change an OC, hard to compare one another.
never theless, i cant wait to get a q6600 based on this!!!!

Ok, one last update and I'm going to have some rest......7hrs Prime Stable at the moment :)

3744primestableg0q66007pf3.jpg

Jesus christ, back the hell down dude! Your load temps are insane on that last one!

That's silly. Tiramisu's load temps are fantastic.

Tiramisu: that's prime stable on air at 1.4560v and still under Intel Thermal Spec's 71c

Just for your info. The new 71C number is a case temperature which is totally different than the core temperatures that CoreTemp or SpeedFan is reporting. The Intel case temperature can only be measured by cutting out a small recess into the heat spreader at the geometric center and running a thin thermocouple to it. Obviously, don't do that at home. The actual core temperatures can go far higher than 71C and you'll still be within Intel spec.

Theoretically, your processor has another 30C of head room before it will even begin to throttle itself and slow down. Practically speaking, when overclocked, you'll likely run into Prime stability issues before you ever get near the throttling point. The thermal shut down point which Intel uses to protect the chip from a melt down is a good 20C beyond the throttling point so no worries.

As long as you're running stable, which you certainly are :D , then you don't have to give your temps a second look. The new G0 Q6600 is a beast, especially when combined with a stable high clocking board like your P5K Deluxe and some Ballistix memory. Nice choice of parts.

What's the upper limit for quads?

I keep my E4300 below 44c at full load-that's my definition of fantastic load temp.

That's silly. Tiramisu's load temps are fantastic.

Just for your info. The new 71C number is a case temperature which is totally different than the core temperatures that CoreTemp or SpeedFan is reporting. The Intel case temperature can only be measured by cutting out a small recess into the heat spreader at the geometric center and running a thin thermocouple to it. Obviously, don't do that at home. The actual core temperatures can go far higher than 71C and you'll still be within Intel spec.

Theoretically, your processor has another 30C of head room before it will even begin to throttle itself and slow down. Practically speaking, when overclocked, you'll likely run into Prime stability issues before you ever get near the throttling point. The thermal shut down point which Intel uses to protect the chip from a melt down is a good 20C beyond the throttling point so no worries.

As long as you're running stable, which you certainly are :D , then you don't have to give your temps a second look. The new G0 Q6600 is a beast, especially when combined with a stable high clocking board like your P5K Deluxe and some Ballistix memory. Nice choice of parts.

WOW Unclewebb, your replies all have impressed me really!!
You've being given me profound knowledge on something I never totally understand fully but you've made it so clear for me now :)

The first time I've used your quote was about actual coretemp = Tjunction max - DTS and now it looks like I'd have to borrow your quote again in case if I need to explain or discuss this with someone :D ;)

Much appreciated for your participation

Tiramisu,

Can you play games with that clock? Fear, Olbivion, etc. etc.

note: just checked my newly arrived q6600, it's a SLUM (stepping B3).

I'm happy though.

Congrats Tiramisu!

Realy amazing 3.744 Prime Stable.

When I was reading this exciting post I already wondred why you would lower your multiplier it puzzled me but at the end you see you didn't have to.

What I was just wondering if you could do the PI test 1M.

Super PI Mod 1.5: http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/

My PI 1M

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/youricarma/Tweakerz/OC_1M_145s_352GHz-E660025July2007.jpg

BIOS SETTINGS E6600 PB5-DL WIFI Edition

Frequency: 3.516 GHz
FSB Speed: 1556 MHz
Cache L1 32 KB
Cache L2 4096 KB
Ratio Status Unlocked (Max: 09, min:06)
Ratio Actual Value: 9
CPUID: 6F6

DRA freq [DDR2-1167 MHz]
Memory Voltage [2.30 V]
CPU VCore Voltage [1.4500 V]
FSB Terminator Voltage [1.450 V]
NB VCORE [1.45V]
SB VCore (Sata,DCIE) [AUTO]
ICH Chipset Voltage [AUTO]

I should have another try for a higer OC stable...must be possible for sure.

I found the E6600 PI 1M record which is just under 10 sec:

http://tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1160952453.gif

But this has been done under special cooling conditions and on just one core to get more stability.

Why I am telling this? The Q6600 is in fact realy 2x E6600 so that makes it very interesting.

This thread has given me hope! I'm waiting on a Q6600 G0 to arrive from NCIX. I also have Crucial Ballistix pc6400 but the cooler is an Enzotech Ultra-X. I hope I can hit 3.5Ghz stable with that combo, will report back in a week or so when pc has been built.

Thermal management for the box intel Core 2 familiy:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/299986.htm

Basically look at the chart on the bottom of the page and it shows the Maximum Case Temperature in celcius for B3 is 62.2c (105w thermal design power) and 71.0c (95w TDP).

Now for the fun of it, here is my xtreme OC Q6600 G0 watt usage calculation (Thx again fornowagain ;) ):

* Q6600 G0 @ 3744MHz 1.224V (LOAD) stock, 1.456V (LOAD) OC'ed.

Pd = 95*(3744/2400)*(1.456v/1.224v)² = 209.70W

Performance gained: (3744 - 2400)/2400 = 56% OC'ed !

I think both results are fantastic for an xtreme OC'ed quad core on air :)

Ballistix Tracers 8500 FTW ! :D

ddr21248624mhzocbp7.jpg

6241jy0.jpg

Just earlier today I started focusing on OC the rams and starting doing prime blend stress.
It's a bit difficult to get stable than small fft but now it's priming away after I changed the NB reference to x0.67 from x0.61 (much more detail BIOS configuration for P5K-Dlx will be disclosed FYI ;) )

Ram isn't complete stable at this speed and given Vcore and timings but it's stable enough to do anything else besides prime blend as I'm typing you this msg :p

More good stuff to come, ;)

now id love to see how stable and how high an OC would be with 4x1 gb sticks. :D

Back