XSPC vario vs pwm d5 oddity

FearTheCow

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an xspc d5 vario that vibrated like crazy and which I ran at the slowest speed possible to keep my sanity. I just replaced it with an xspc pwm and have noticed while gaming that my water temp has increased a couple degrees and my cpu and gpu are running 5-7 degrees hotter, this is with the pwm d5 set to 2500-3000 rpm.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? The only other change is I went with clear cryo fuel instead of the xspc addictive when filling.

If you just refilled the loop could be as simple as air trapped in a block or radiator.

I like to give the system a couple of days of occasional case tips and rocks to get all the air out before I take a lot of stock in what the system temps are.

However if your prior pump did not have an rpm lead then the setting you had it to keep the vibration down could have still been above what you have it set at now.

Did anything change in the loop? Layout changes etc?

Nope, everything is the same, all I did was turn over the resevoir and unscrew the old vario and screw in the new pwm.

My temps are slightly higher with the pwm at 100% than the vario at setting 1.

I am thinking of adding another d5 to the loop or going with a ddc. A couple weeks ago I tried out the corsair xd3 and it lowered my temps by a couple degrees running at 50%, it just made horrible noises after 24 hours and got returned.

Nope, everything is the same, all I did was turn over the resevoir and unscrew the old vario and screw in the new pwm.

My temps are slightly higher with the pwm at 100% than the vario at setting 1.

I am thinking of adding another d5 to the loop or going with a ddc. A couple weeks ago I tried out the corsair xd3 and it lowered my temps by a couple degrees running at 50%, it just made horrible noises after 24 hours and got returned.

This will be radiator dependent, but did you try running it at a lower speed under load to see if the temps are closer to what you were expecting?

On paper the two xspc pumps are exactly the same, and you shouldn't have seen much change temp wise outside of whatever percentage of error exists. Unless something else is affecting it, like air in the rad or something.

The new pump came with an o ring, there is a definite temp difference depending on speed.

I have another d5 pump to add to the loop, just need a new top and mount for it, getting a feeling I should of been running 2 pumps this whole time with these two 560 rads.

Back