XSPC Single bay res+pump = noisy! (tried normal fixes)

criccio

Fully Equipped
The noise this makes is driving me mad!

I have tried all the normal ways of bleeding because I keep thinking there is air trapped inside the pump, but I've flipped my PC over in every direction with the pump running and off and there is NO air coming out of it.

Thing is, I had my loop setup outside of my case on my bathroom counter when I got all my parts (XSPC220 rad/EK Supreme HF) and was running it just fine for hours and it just emitted a nice hardly audible hum. For about an hour after installing everything in my case, it was also nice and quiet.

Now? OMFG its going to drive me to wear earphones 24/7!!!

What could I be missing? Bad pump already? :confused:

I'm about to go drain it for the third time and see...

Could be vibration hum? Check by touching some of the parts and see if stops or goes a little more silent.

Definitely not vibration, not in the least. Its coming directly from the pump.

How long have you had it? Sounds like a bad pump to me. I don't know how loud "noisy" is to you

I just put together the loop yesterday and it ran nice and quiet for about an hour, now its just INSANELY annoying. It sounds exactly like a loud HDD thrashing... and I only have a single SSD in my system.

Its pretty clear its the pump. Hmm, guess I'll try and contact XSPC.

Disappointing as this is my first watercooling experience.

Akasa Apache's. If you are somehow thinking i'm hearing my fans, i'm doing my testing with the pump and only the pump hooked up to a spare PSU, so its the only thing running.

Yeah the reason I asked was a few months back I had a weird noise coming from my loop and I found out it was a few of my Gentle Typhoons. Sounded similar to HDD seeking. Eventually RMA'd them and got ones that didn't make that noise.

How tight did you screw in the pump? It could be the impeller touching the base of the reservoir.

Are you using any silver coils?

The pump is sealed inside the res so I haven't touched it.

Yes, I am using a silver coil, and no its not stuck in the pump ;) lol

Don't let that pump destroy any of your hardware. Who knows how reliable it is - you may have a bad one.

Send it back for replacement ASAP.

Some people are just unlucky: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258626 - this guy had several failed DDC pumps. In the thread, the contributers suggest that some aftermarket tops or reservoirs may alter the motion of the impeller (either by direct contact or causing it to spin off-axis), causing premature failure. Furthermore, it's well-known that Low-restriction loops (high-flow, perhaps CPU-only) are more taxing on the pump.

Lastly, Martin said, "I guess the only thing that's of any concern to me is that some of these bay type reservoirs don't seem to provide much ventilation to the pump housing. I know 90% of the heat is dumping in the coolant, but they do still get pretty warm on the base.

Also on the failed pumps, did you find any evidence of failure (burnt electronics?)"

Taking all of that into consideration, and the fact that WE WOULD NOT trust a suddenly clicking Hard Drive with our files... I suggest you RMA that POS.

G'luck.

OH - and of course the pump makes SOME noise, but you shouldn't require earphones. If vibrations are dampened, then it's really just slightly whirring hum (depends on the loop somewhat). Check youtube videos for sound samples.

Yup, i'm waiting on word from XSPC hopefully on Tuesday. FrozenCPU wants me to try and get in contact with them first. Its funny because despite the horrible noise, my temps are great. 4GHz 930 idles at 34c, load at 61c.

However, I realized the error in my ways by going with this pump-in-a-res combo unit and ordered a MCP350 + X-RES 100, 10ft of PrimoFlex and black BP compression fittings all in 3/8x1/2.

This 1/2IDx3/4OD Tygon is a NIGHTMARE to work with and the worm drive clamps are UGLY.

I'm learning!

Back