XSPC and FrozenCPU Have Lost My Business

Recently I came into possession of an MSI 780ti. The PCB is the Nvidia reference layout, so any waterblock for a 780ti reference will fit.

Since I have a custom water loop, I spent a lot of time researching what block to use. I originally wanted the EK acetal with the backplate, but FCPU was all out of backplates. So I saw they also offered the XSPC Razor full cover and the backplate, both in stock.

I went on the XSPC website to verify that this waterblock would fit my card, and for the GTX TITAN/780/780ti waterblock, the MSI card is listed as compatible. Great, so I order both the card and the backplate from FCPU.

Both of them arrived 4/4/14, and tonight I finally received all the parts I needed to upgrade my PC. Got the fan and heatsink off the board, got the waterblock prepared, and go to test fit before putting thermal grease/pads. What, the waterblock will not fit? While studying the waterblock, there was one part that stood out right away, one of the silver and blue cylinders (no idea what they are really called) sticks out of the line of them, and the waterblock cover only has room for the single line. Also, the power connectors hit the edge of the acrylic cover, thus making another spot that won't allow it to fit.

I start doing research again, and turns out EK full cover blocks compensated for both of these issues on the 780ti boards, and which is why their 780 blocks do not have the changes. So XSPC is selling waterblocks listed that will fit 780ti reference boards but they in fact will not.

Talk about a hassle, I am out of money, out of a usable waterblock, and my PC will be down for a while. Sure, I could take my dremel and grind those sections out, but I do not feel I should have to, as I bought something that was listed as compatible.

/endrant

*UPDATE* Called FCPU this morning, and they asked me to take pictures and they will review them and get in contact with XSPC to see if they can get this resolved. Not really thrilled with having to wait for something that I should not have had to deal with anyway. But, at least FCPU is looking into it.

Last edited:
This has been a known issue with 'reference' 780 blocks being listed as ti compatible, most of them won't work because of the out of line capacitor and the power connector on the reference card.

It's not really frozen's fault, the block is not defective, it just won't fit because you bought a block meant for and released as a 780 block. I agree with the XSPC opinion though, they're a shit company when it comes to support and literature.

** I should say, Frozen just copy/pastes what the vendor lists for the card, hence why I don't really see them at fault.

xpsc kind of let me down with their support. I bought a full water cooling kit and everything was fine except 1 of the 3 fans makes a rubbing sound is quite a bit nosier than the other fans. I tried to contact xpsc to see if they would replace the fan, couldn't find a support number just email, they never responded to me. Frozencpu support isn't too hot either. WHen I ordered the kit I forgot to order the gpu block as well. I called them and they found my order, but they wouldn't honor the 10% off code for the gpu block even though it was a 10% off entire order and the order hadn't shipped yet. I was a little annoyed by that, the watercooling kit I think was about $300 if I remember right, the gpu block was $50, it would have cost them a whole $5 to honor the code with the block I added to my order of about $300.

Yea maybe I jumped the gun on the FCPU part, still have to call them in the morning. But unless I can return that water block and replacement for a full credit towards another block that works, this ends up just being a loss of time and money because of their return policies. I know they had no part in the making of the block, but while reviewing their policies I became very dissatisfied with them. But we will see tomorrow morning. Hopefully works out.

Yeah, that's why I only go with sidewinder / jabtech stateside if I have to, but they don't deal with EK gear.

Let us know how it works out. I have always had good experiences with FCPU. I would like to hear what they have to say about your card specifically being listed as compatible when it is not. I'm building a water loop on FCPU right now for tri-fire 290s and I think I am going to stay away from the EK parts.

Let us know how it works out. I have always had good experiences with FCPU. I would like to hear what they have to say about your card specifically being listed as compatible when it is not. I'm building a water loop on FCPU right now for tri-fire 290s and I think I am going to stay away from the EK parts.

It was an XSPC block, I personally have not had any issues with EK, though I only have one EK part haha. Still waiting to call, not open yet.

I had some crossthreading issues with my R9 290 block from XSPC and they never got back to me either. If you get through, let me know.

I called FCPU and they asked me to take pictures and send them an email. As of now I will be changing my thread to one a little more neutral to FCPU.

FCPU said they will contact XSPC and see if there is anything they know about this or if they can get something worked out. Honestly, I do not have time to wait weeks while this gets sorted out just because XSPC false advertises. I already ordered the EK block and backplate from Performance-PCS, so I either get a refund/credit from FCPU or I have a new 780/Titan block to sell.

"Talk about a hassle, I am out of money, out of a usable waterblock, and my PC will be down for a while. Sure, I could take my dremel and grind those sections out, but I do not feel I should have to, as I bought something that was listed as compatible."

So hmmm, you bought all this watercooling stuff and expected everything to work flawless? :eek: Well, there is your first lesson in watercooling.

Seriously dude, throw the air cooler back on and enjoy your rig while you wait for the stuff to get exchanged.... I really don't get how you are "out of a computer" for days and days when all your shit came with air coolers. Stop being lazy, and just do it.

PS: If the company is being a dick about returns, this is why you use a credit card with return protection.

Yeah, that's why I only go with sidewinder / jabtech stateside if I have to, but they don't deal with EK gear.

There's a reason why sidewinder doesn't carry EK stuff. Apparently EK wanted something like $100,000+ in "damages" due to sidewinder posting a warning on their site about EK blocks flaking during the entire debacle. Crap company is crap, and looks like XSPC is going the route of crap as well. May have to start recommending only the Apogee HD instead of the Raystorm.

There's a reason why sidewinder doesn't carry EK stuff. Apparently EK wanted something like $100,000+ in "damages" due to sidewinder posting a warning on their site about EK blocks flaking during the entire debacle. Crap company is crap, and looks like XSPC is going the route of crap as well. May have to start recommending only the Apogee HD instead of the Raystorm.

Not to mention EK makes shitty products with terrible QC (poor machining, improper surface preparation, and flaking nickel) and blames the customer for their mistakes (lol @ blaming distilled water for nickel flaking)...

So hmmm, you bought all this watercooling stuff and expected everything to work flawless? :eek: Well, there is your first lesson in watercooling.

Seriously dude, throw the air cooler back on and enjoy your rig while you wait for the stuff to get exchanged.... I really don't get how you are "out of a computer" for days and days when all your shit came with air coolers. Stop being lazy, and just do it.

PS: If the company is being a dick about returns, this is why you use a credit card with return protection.

Could you be any more of an idiot? You do realize that some custom watercooling loops can't be rerouted? Custom length tubing, custom cut tubes, certain fittings, etc. This isn't some shit I just threw together and called watercooling like you think. A lot of time, a lot of money, a lot of effort, and a lot of measurements went in to the setup. But hey, let me just throw the air cooler back on because I don't want to be lazy in your eyes... Right.

Also, I used Paypal. I don't use credit cards because who needs more debt? I pay with real money.

While I do not have much experience with EK, I am still going to give them a shot. I ordered a non-nickel block, so I don't have any issues. Granted, that issue was a while ago and EK supposedly took care of it, but still not a route I would go on my first try with a company. Though, the Heatkiller Ni-Bl on my 670 was pretty sweet. Germans know how to make good products haha.

For good reason. Especially SideWinder.

Sidewinder is a good company, as is Jab-Tech. Always took care of any issues I had and everything was always shipped quickly. Sidewinder is about 3 hours away from me too, which is pretty cool.

I am confused here, what steps did you actually take to square this away with FCPU? Did you ask for a return or possible exchange? I have never had any issues with FCPU before, only that they tend to be more expensive than some other places.

Also:
Also, I used Paypal. I don't use credit cards because who needs more debt? I pay with real money.

Not sure how you are going into more debt using a Credit Card. If you pay your CC on time, there is no debt? Also, using a CC can help build your credit, something that PayPal does not do. And...paypal will often charge you for using their service, where many companies already have agreements with the CC companies and won't charge you to use the CC.

I am confused here, what steps did you actually take to square this away with FCPU? Did you ask for a return or possible exchange? I have never had any issues with FCPU before, only that they tend to be more expensive than some other places.

Also:

Not sure how you are going into more debt using a Credit Card. If you pay your CC on time, there is no debt? Also, using a CC can help build your credit, something that PayPal does not do. And...paypal will often charge you for using their service, where many companies already have agreements with the CC companies and won't charge you to use the CC.

I contacted them and had to email them with pictures, they said they would investigate and get in contact with XSPC. Still have not received an email back.

And having a credit card just creates the opportunity to abuse it, something I don't want. I use Paypal linked to my bank account, and I do no get charged anything unless I receive money. And credit doesn't really concern me, I make car payments and I have a house, my credit is is good shape. =)

I would thumb up this comment 1000000000 times if I could!

I dunno why, its one of the dumbest things I ever read.

Paying with credit card doesn't put you in debt. It does however offer you
protections against these types of issues that Paypal, and cash do not.

Just cause your credit blows doesn't mean you have to hide it by saying "real money" rules.

I contacted them and had to email them with pictures, they said they would investigate and get in contact with XSPC. Still have not received an email back.

Yes, but did you 'ask' for a refund or exchange? Or did you just e-mail them saying it didn't fit? That is what I am trying to get at. Most of the times with FCPU if I was not satisfied with something, I just got them to take it back.

And having a credit card just creates the opportunity to abuse it, something I don't want. I use Paypal linked to my bank account, and I do no get charged anything unless I receive money. And credit doesn't really concern me, I make car payments and I have a house, my credit is is good shape. =)

So in other words you do not trust yourself? Fair enough. I didn't keep one for a long time for the same reason..well that and I had a debit card that worked for everything.

Living within our means means we do not need to put purchases on CC, whether you pay it off each month or not, and if you are with the right Bank, you will get the same protections made with VISA Debit Cards.

Anyway, enough thread crapping. Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Credit cards are too tempting, I agree. I put a few monthly revolving charges on mine to build my credit and call it good.

Yes, but did you 'ask' for a refund or exchange? Or did you just e-mail them saying it didn't fit? That is what I am trying to get at. Most of the times with FCPU if I was not satisfied with something, I just got them to take it back.

So in other words you do not trust yourself? Fair enough. I didn't keep one for a long time for the same reason..well that and I had a debit card that worked for everything.

Sorry, I first called saying it wouldn't fit, then had to email them about it. I did not ask them about a refund yet, I am trying to get one without having to lose out on the restocking fee or the shipping charges.

And yes, I had a CC when I was younger and did not use it wisely, plus with my debit card I get all the same things as a CC but with real money. A CC in my eyes is just credit, not money you really earned.

Could you be any more of an idiot? You do realize that some custom watercooling loops can't be rerouted? Custom length tubing, custom cut tubes, certain fittings, etc. This isn't some shit I just threw together and called watercooling like you think. A lot of time, a lot of money, a lot of effort, and a lot of measurements went in to the setup. But hey, let me just throw the air cooler back on because I don't want to be lazy in your eyes... Right.

Tip: Use QD's to separate loop into manageable sized pieces (I have mine sub-divided into GPUs, CPU, Radiator, and pump with res). I swapped GPUs in my loop the other day and installing the block on the new card was really the only extra time it took me over a standard air-cooled setup.

Sorry, I first called saying it wouldn't fit, then had to email them about it. I did not ask them about a refund yet, I am trying to get one without having to lose out on the restocking fee or the shipping charges.

When I have dealt with FCPU with similar issues to this, they did an exchange for me with no restocking fees applied. Also stocking fees should not be applied to a return where the product did not work as advertised. But that is also probably why they are asking for pics now as well.

And yes, I had a CC when I was younger and did not use it wisely, plus with my debit card I get all the same things as a CC but with real money. A CC in my eyes is just credit, not money you really earned.

I would be careful thinking that. DC's do not get the same protections as actual CCs, even though you are using the 'credit' option at times, its not the same. And the debit portion definitely does not have the same protections. I know from experience on both accounts, which is why I almost always use my CC now. Just takes a bit of learning financial restraint with the CC. I keep a balance book and note how much money I get every month and subtract what I spend. The method doesn't matter, be it credit, cash, debit, etc, I make sure I spend less than I make.

The real choice in getting a CC again was for emergencies. I ran into a situation where I didn't have any money or credit and I was pretty much f'd. Now I have that cushion with a CC, LOC and other sources. I only use cash and CC for purchases though, the rest is only for emergencies.

When I have dealt with FCPU with similar issues to this, they did an exchange for me with no restocking fees applied. Also stocking fees should not be applied to a return where the product did not work as advertised. But that is also probably why they are asking for pics now as well.

I would be careful thinking that. DC's do not get the same protections as actual CCs, even though you are using the 'credit' option at times, its not the same. And the debit portion definitely does not have the same protections. I know from experience on both accounts, which is why I almost always use my CC now. Just takes a bit of learning financial restraint with the CC. I keep a balance book and note how much money I get every month and subtract what I spend. The method doesn't matter, be it credit, cash, debit, etc, I make sure I spend less than I make.

The real choice in getting a CC again was for emergencies. I ran into a situation where I didn't have any money or credit and I was pretty much f'd. Now I have that cushion with a CC, LOC and other sources. I only use cash and CC for purchases though, the rest is only for emergencies.

Yea I didn't know that about FCPU, I just looked at their policies and figured that's what they were. I changed my original post and stance about them, I spoke too soon after I was angry. I'll admit I made a mistake.

And I meant I have my debit card for purchases in store, anything online I just use my bank account. I honestly have not ran into an issue before using Paypal. Maybe I'm just lucky. Lol

Living within our means means we do not need to put purchases on CC, whether you pay it off each month or not, and if you are with the right Bank, you will get the same protections made with VISA Debit Cards.

Anyway, enough thread crapping. Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Honestly I'll never use a debit card again, I had someone fraudulently use mine 3 states away. Was a pain to get my money back, I had to fill out all these forms, i had to actually call the company they used my card at and get a case number from them that I did not actually purchase anything from them and put it on the bank form.

Credit card you just call them and they cancel it remove the charges and send you a new card.

Also cc gives you perks like free money for making purchases. I have had a cc since I was 16 so about 9 years now, not once have I paid interest as I pay it off every month. ALong with that I get a free $50 about every 4 months just from points. So basically they are paying me to use credit card.

Sidewinder is a good company, as is Jab-Tech. Always took care of any issues I had and everything was always shipped quickly. Sidewinder is about 3 hours away from me too, which is pretty cool.

Gary's the best vendor in the business, bar none. Mark has gotten a lot better, and this wasn't really his fault.

My comment about them not stocking EK gear means it wouldn't have helped the OP, since he was set on an EK block to begin with.

Haha well I was originally set on the XSPC block but only until I figured out they're liars. EK seems to be one of the only full-cover block makers that actually account for minor changes... Plus I like the look of the acetal blocks.

XSPC did a terrible job with problems I had with one of their Razer hd7979 blocks. FCPU has always been great with customer service for me.

I recently had to deal with XSPC and FrozenCPU. It took a good 2 weeks before I finally got my item replaced. XSPC is in China so it takes a full day just to reply due to the timezone. They usually let Frozen CPU handle the customer support frontend, i.e information, pictures, etc...then Frozen CPU will send that to XSPC so they can evaluate. Once they finish, if the RMA is warrantied, then XSPC will contact Frozen to send you the new item (I didnt have to ship mines back or anything)

XSPC did a terrible job with problems I had with one of their Razer hd7979 blocks. FCPU has always been great with customer service for me.

FCPU sold me some copper-finish Alphacool rotaries as brand new...I got them the baggies were open, and the branding finish was wearing off. Didn't care enough to fight it and not have my system back online. Easier to just buy elsewhere.

My loop is full of XSPC, most of it bought from FrozenCPU... that said, I have serious doubts that I will ever buy anything from XSPC again that is anything more than a compression fitting or possibly a radiator. My Razor 7970 block is garbage, drastically inferior to the EK block I have on another 7970 (barely cools the VRMs, and is 20C hotter). My Raystorm was also a colossal pain in the ass to install since they did such a shitty job tapping the threads on the backplate that the mounting posts are nearly impossible to thread into position. I definitely regret trying to save the $20-40 total it would have cost me to buy something better.

Just an update... FCPU contacted me back. "Dan, I did my homework on this and it appears this is indeed a reference design. I will see what XSPC has to say about this." Not sure if he meant it is a reference waterblock or it is a reference video card. I asked if I somehow got a pre-revision block if they made a revision for the 780ti, no response to that email yet. And still no word from XSPC, though it has been only a few business days.

Last edited:
FCPU sold me some copper-finish Alphacool rotaries as brand new...I got them the baggies were open, and the branding finish was wearing off. Didn't care enough to fight it and not have my system back online. Easier to just buy elsewhere.

If money is of no concern then sure buy the part you want again somewhere else but if you have the same problem again and again it is easier to have a good shop that will treat you right when you have a problem with an order. Basic customer service.

Sorry nothing yet. I emailed the person last week asking if I could just send it back for a refund and I was told I would receive word by Monday, but have not received anything. Will be calling in the morning and either getting this resolved or opening a Paypal Dispute with FCPU. I have had a block I cannot use for two weeks now, no reply from XSPC and FCPU is really testing my patience.

XSPC is based in China, which is pretty much unaccustomed to levels of service expected in the US. You will have to wait about 2 weeks to resolve this but they will resolve it for you, most likely in a replacement. Expect to follow up multiple times via email with XSPC itself, in addition to the merchant. Don't expect a refund, unless the merchant agrees to take the stock and give you store value. In my case, my reseller SVC (I think FrozenCPU are run by greedy pigs) was nice and did that for me when the pump basically split in half inside the res, but you're not really going to "escape" XSPC level service either for its price point. The Koolance guys are pretty assholish, and I've only really seen high levels of service from SwiftTech and you'll pay a small premium for that.

Contact XSPC via my contact here - [email protected]

I don't expect XSPC to support you based on my experience and others I have seen have problems with XSPC. I do expect FCPU to be fair with you and earnest in providing a good customer support solution. Do keep in mind that I think XSPC are terrible at customer service to the buyer and vendor. I really don't blame FCPU but they should help you out anyways.

Back