XPx64 vs Vista64

cwolf78

Limp Gawd
I have a machine that I use solely for FSX. Right now I am running Vista64 in order to use the 8 gig ram in the machine. I have been thinking of switching this to XPx64... is there any reasons I should or should not ?

If you have another hard disk or partition, install the 30 days trial of windows vista and see if your system performs better in the new os.

Dont quote me, but, If you have a nice specs computer, i think vista will smoke the shit out of XP64 :D

If you have another hard disk or partition, install the 30 days trial of windows vista and see if your system performs better in the new os.

Dont quote me, but, If you have a nice specs computer, i think vista will smoke the shit out of XP64 :D

I am running Vista right now... did you mean install XPx64 ?

I have a copy of XPx64 that has been installed on one other machine... does MS allow the 3 registrations with XPx64 like they used to with regular XP ? If not I guess I still would have 30 days to make up my mind.

Is there a reason why you're thinking of downgrading to begin with? Are you having problems with Vista64?

I think you should stick with Vista64 and get used to the change it offers. If anything, you'd be more future-proof.

Don't see why you should unless you had a very specific reason to downgrade.

Is there a reason why you're thinking of downgrading to begin with? Are you having problems with Vista64?

I think you should stick with Vista64 and get used to the change it offers. If anything, you'd be more future-proof.

Seems like Vista is a bit of a resource hog... I just wanted something that would utilize my 8gig of ram. When I use FSX with my machine I am not getting the performance levels I expected... I was wondering if maybe Vista was eating it up ? This is just speculation on my part... that is why I am asking.

I agree that it is more 'future-proof'.

Don't forget that Vista can be a resource hog the first few weeks until it learns your habit. I agree that it gets frustrating and taxing on your patience, but it'll pay off. I'm really glad I waited a month before I judged Vista Ultimate 64 on my home rig because it's blazing fast and snappy as hell.

As for utilizing your RAM, consider Vista's SuperFetch capability. You would NOT be utilizing your RAM as efficiently using XP64. You'd be using maybe a gig or two of it, and the rest of it would be sitting around doing nothing until you launch programs that will use it.

Give it time man. You'll thank us later ;)

Don't forget that Vista can be a resource hog the first few weeks until it learns your habit. I agree that it gets frustrating and taxing on your patience, but it'll pay off. I'm really glad I waited a month before I judged Vista Ultimate 64 on my home rig because it's blazing fast and snappy as hell.

As for utilizing your RAM, consider Vista's SuperFetch capability. You would NOT be utilizing your RAM as efficiently using XP64. You'd be using maybe a gig or two of it, and the rest of it would be sitting around doing nothing until you launch programs that will use it.

Give it time man. You'll thank us later ;)

Cool. Here is another issue... the reason I was asking is because I think a re-install is due on my machine. My fault... registry problems... I'm a dumbass. Now then, I had a copy of both XPx64 and Vista64Ulimate... if/when I reinstall Vista (on the same hardware) will I be allowed to register/activate online or will it require the phone call ?

Back