xpx64 install troubles

kinson

Gawd
I started having trouble with what I believe to be my NVIDIA drivers, or some other driver... My HD's appear to be working great, video card is working, all hardware seems to be good...

I could not get my computer to work well as I kept getting physical memory dump errors... So, I reinstall, I am using raid, and it is REINSTALLING, however, when it is done installing windows, it never boots... it restarts to at the windows logos page.

I could really use some suggestions for this as I have to do a lot for college finals... Like this weekend lol... This is the first time this has ever happened...

Any possibility you have some other version of Windows you can install to see if XP64 is the root of the problem at this time?

With the memory dumps you mentioned, I begin to suspect some piece of hardware failed recently and could also be part of the failure equation.

I have windows Vista Beta 2 but cant get it to run on raid... and I don't wanna NOT use raid :)... Thats pretty much it... I could use my x86 if I could find it... lol

I installed vista on one HD... It seems that I have a bad hard drive with my raid :(... gonna have to send it back..

Ouch... sorry to hear it, but glad to know you figured it out before you got to deep into it.

Good luck...

where can I find Beta 2 x64 drivers... I'm gonna run this until I can get my HD back, and then I will reinstall... Interested in goofing around with vista till around Christmas anyways... The only thing I dont understand though is, I did not have any problems until today... Which really confuses me... I havent had any massive power outages flashing or anything along those lines...

When I went to install vista on one of the drives it said that it was not set up in my bios right so I checked it... Nothing wrong with it, tried it again, it said the same thing... So I tried the next one and it worked... Know of any programs I can use to check for errors on my drive ??

New info, just did the error-check on both HD's since I could do it now as before I was unable...

I reset and tried installing vista on the other HD, and it began where as before it did not... I really don't wanna send it in if I don't have to... Anyone have any ideas ??

Only thing I can suggest is getting the "drive fitness tool" from the company that makes the hard drive and give it an advanced or thorough testing. If your hard drive maker doesn't happen to have one, you can probably use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Tool which seems to work on most any brand drive.

An advanced/thorough test could take a while, but if it can "fix" the issues or at least point them out, at least it's something.

My personal tool of choice in such situations is SpinRite, which has never failed to restore a drive to full working operation as long as there is no physical damage to the drive, i.e. frozen bearings, a head crash causing platter damage, etc.

www.grc.com for more info on SpinRite; and yes it's a commercial program. But if you buy it once and it saves your drive, your data, and the hassles of doing the return, and later on it might help in other situations, it's worth every cent.

Hope this helps...

Luckily my father had already got the program... Only thing, when I use the floppy, it locks up during the "finding Mass Storage Devices"...

Does it or does it not detect Sata ?? Because it sat there for over 30 minutes looking for my drives... ??

SpinRite? It only sees drives that your BIOS can see, so that might be an issue. Go into your BIOS and check to see if your SATA controller has an option that will allow the drivs to appear as regular ATA drives, might be listed as PATA or simple IDE. That might help.

On my Gateway laptop I just bought, it works without issues so I can't say for sure what the issue on yours is. If this continues to be a problem, there's always the chance that your SATA controller(s) are defective; that would definitely crimp the installations cold.

well my sata controllers are working... As I can install and run windows perfectly on one of them, and the other always picks up and seems to be running fine once i'm in windows... I just want to run sr to see if it will help anything out... Otherwise I am gonna send it in and cover my ass :)... But I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it...

Did you try running the manufacturer's drive testing software as I suggested?

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

That page provides linkage to all the current hard drive manufacturer's drive diagnostic software. Again, if your manufacturer doesn't have any, the Hitachi DFT can usually work on most any hard drive and give some results with useful information.

I just ran it and it says there is NOTHING wrong with my drives... ... ... This is making me pretty angry :)... owell... i'll figure it out... thanks for your help man...

Back