xpsp2 & 2k pro

Duron @ 1.2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
twin 512 corsair modules
80 gig Seagate Barracuda (ST380013AS)
Visiontek 420mx
currently running 98se

I got my seagate 80 gig sata drive yesterday. It's replacing both of my old IDE drives that are a bit flaky.

Everytime I try to install xpsp2 it will give me a bsod and boot error code right before the first xp boot screen of the installation process. First thing I think is that the drive is flawed, but 98se runs close to perfect on it

So I try and install good old 2k pro to see if at least I can upgrade 98se with it. It basically does the same thing other than in setup it will ask for a mass storage driver I believe. I selected the general option and as it gets close to booting it blue screens almost like xpsp2. Both file systems are FAT32 right now but thats should have nothing to do with it.

I can't do a low level and clean install because I can't save to the bios without my monitor shutting off. It's a possible video card issue since this little Visiontek 420 has been shocked a bit over its lifetime :). Could also be my power supply, Antec SX830 ps, I've had another one fail before.

I can get onto my xpsp2 disc. Can I set it up in dos at least after a format? the i386 dir is huge and I don't know the file name I'm looking for. I remember setting up 2k in dos once and it took forever but whatever gets xpsp2 back on here.

Sorry for the long read. Thanks for any help. :)

-theaustrian

1. It's not a low level. It's just a format. A low level is something entirely different, and is not something you can do.

That out of the way, I recall setting up win2k on one of my sata here, and I needed to load up some drivers ( from floppy no less. I had to really dig to find one ) before the install could continue.

Have you tried that yet?

writing 0's? hehe :eek:

no man I haven't tried that yet. I'll have to start looking around I guess. Seagate had nothing on my drives page but I'll look again. Maybe I missed something.

It would explain why my IDE drives handle xpsp2 just fine.

Damn this new technology :)

thanks.

theaustrian said:
writing 0's? hehe :eek:
That is not, strictly speaking, a format. That's just zeroing out the drive. A low level does all sorts of stuff ( does any one have a link handy that explains it? ), and a high level just sets up the data structures the filesystem will be looking for.

XOR != OR said:
That is not, strictly speaking, a format. That's just zeroing out the drive. A low level does all sorts of stuff ( does any one have a link handy that explains it? ), and a high level just sets up the data structures the filesystem will be looking for.
This is a pretty good explaination of LLF, why it's not done on modern drives, and has a link to what LLF really is.

Here's the thing, with your symptoms I wouldn't be trying to figure out different ways to install XP, I'd be testing your hardware at a DOS prompt. Memtest, hard drive tests, etc. If you don't do the F6 thing, Windows won't blue screen it will just say "can't find your drive."

edited a bit

it was the raid controller. copied from asus cd to floppy. xpsp2 is now installed.

system seems to hang now while background apps are loading. only app that loads is messenger and of course default services.

explorer also crashes if there's a right click to the desktop. It never fails.

these issues are brutal :mad: :eek: :eek: :confused:

theaustrian said:
it was the raid controller. copied from asus cd to floppy. xpsp2 is now installed.
It took me forever to find that goddamn driver too. ...ASUS bastards.
:)

S1nF1xx said:
It took me forever to find that goddamn driver too. ...ASUS bastards.
:)

That makes me feel a bit better. I feel like a moron now. I should of read what was on the screen.

As soon as I see blue I go crazy, kinda like a bull seeing red. :mad:

Tonight I'll be dreaming about right clicking and never waking up because explorer keeps crashing. Something like that.

I've found people with DivX installed are having that right click problem. But I don't have divx installed.

soooo.....

I dunno

I don't have that right click issue anymore and I have no clue what fixed it.

I installed tweakui today and set auto login. Windows then deleted my user and loged in as the admin. So everything reset as it should (colors and whatnot).

So I right clicked and it still crashed explorer.

After that I installed directx 9 due to the Doom III and Far Cry installations.

There's nothing else I did.

very very strange.

GAH. check your ram. I know, I see what you are running. check your ram.
grab a memtest type proggie on a bootable floppy and run that thing. EVERYTHING you discribed it doing funky sounds like ram. 98 is not as picky/aggressive/whatever as 2k or XP

best of luck

sharp

Back