XP's Remote Desktop

MaKaVe|i

Limp Gawd
I just tried using Remote Desktop to connect to a friends computer...and could not get it to work. I read a quick tutuorial and still can't get it to work. If you use this, could you please help me out and let me know EXACTLY what I need to do to get this to work? Thanks in advance.

You need to give some very important details before we can even begin to help out.

Are the computers on the same network (as in, is it in your house on your network)?
If no, is he opening the ports on his firewall or router (or both) for you to connect?
Am I correct in assuming you both have XP Pro?
Does he have Remote Desktop enabled, and gave you account info for an account that's enabled?

There could be many reasons why it's not working, but until you give us any relevant info, all we can do is spout out hypothetical guesses.

Whoops, I skipped that part. You will need to know his WAN IP address, if the answer to my first question is no.

Not 100% on this, but the computer you connect to has to have a password set on user account your logging in as. Took me a bit to figure out why it wouldnt connect when I know I have the right IP, added the password and went right in.

totmachen said:
Not 100% on this, but the computer you connect to has to have a password set on user account your logging in as. Took me a bit to figure out why it wouldnt connect when I know I have the right IP, added the password and went right in.

It does, or you can log in as Administrator, which has to have a password.

hey thanks everyone, I got it to work last night shortly after posting the thread. When i told her to check the box for the remote desktop to be enabled, she didn't hit apply so once we went through that step again everything worked...

Back