XPS Questions

Ttocs

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been looking at getting a laptop for a while now, for school, and various trips. I will be doing some schoolwork on it, but I expect to be doing plenty of gaming on it as well.

As a result, I think I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to the XPS Gen 2. I know I'll be paying a premium for it (although money isn't an issue), but It'll probably be the best performing laptop for the time being.

However, I've been waiting a bit, hoping that Dell would pick up the Pentium M 780. I figure, if I don't get the 780, the prices of the 760 and 770 would be less as a result of the 780 being available. However, since I've read the announcements (about a month ago) about how the P-M 780 has hit shelves in some places, I have yet to hear anything from Dell about it.

So, this leaves me with a few questions regarding the XPS Gen 2:

1) Any idea on when the XPS will have the P-M 780 available for it? (based on when Dell picked up on past processor releases, I don't expect an exact answer)

2) I read around in older threads that about a week ago there was a 40% off coupon for the XPS. Is this still available? How often does such a deal occur?

3) Are there any major things I should be aware of when I buy this? (options I should avoid becuase of high failure rates, etc.) Keep in mind that I will be taking this PC with me to classes, among other places (including local and not-so-local LAN events, where I will be competing).

4) If there are any good Laptop cases I could get that would have PLENTY of room for my books, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

.:Ttocs

Step 1: Put the money you were going to spend on the XPS in a pile on a table. Any table will do, but try and avoid tables in public places such as libraries, bus stations, or brothels.

Step 2: Split that pile into two smaller, yet equally sized piles.

Step 3: Spend the pile of money on your right on a Thinkpad, 700m, or any other small laptop meant to be highly portable.

Step 4: Spend the pile of money to your left on components for a desktop for gaming. I suggest a 939 processor and a 6600GT, along with the usual necessities.

Step 5: Laugh at the idiot hauling the giant laptop into class to "take notes." These notes probably somehow involve Halo.

Step 6: Profit.

TheScott2K said:
Step 1: Put the money you were going to spend on the XPS in a pile on a table. Any table will do, but try and avoid tables in public places such as libraries, bus stations, or brothels.

Step 2: Split that pile into two smaller, yet equally sized piles.

Step 3: Spend the pile of money on your right on a Thinkpad, 700m, or any other small laptop meant to be highly portable.

Step 4: Spend the pile of money to your left on components for a desktop for gaming. I suggest a 939 processor and a 6600GT, along with the usual necessities.

Step 5: Laugh at the idiot hauling the giant laptop into class to "take notes." These notes probably somehow involve Halo.

Step 6: Profit.

This is the best idea. Seriously...even though I've bought the $2000 Ferrari, there are MANY times I wish I'd have put half of it into a 700m (as an X41 is expensive), and the other half into a shuttle. I miss the portability of my X31...and a shuttle would alleviate my problems with the 80lb Marduk.

Thanks for the links to the sites..definitely something I can use on a regular basis, for many things.

It's also good to know about the differences in screens.. I had no idea they had two different manufacturers for the screens.

Theres plenty of selection on ebags.com, as well.

But, I already have the desktop. I bought it about 6 months ago:

Athlon 64 FX-55 @ 2.8 with 1GB of RAM
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
U160 SCSI RAID, Audigy 2, etc etc.

That I definitely don't need. At least not for another year or so.

I don't know.. I have thought about the thin and light notebook idea.. but there are plenty of times where I get some downtime and I wouldn't mind playing a bit inbetween classes (I have a few 1 hour+ breaks throughout the week). While I could probably be getting ahead on other schoolwork, there are times where I run out of things to do on that front.

My PSP could keep me occupied, though, once some new games come out for it...

.:Ttocs

If you've already got a desktop like that, get a Thinkpad and spend the rest on weed. Seriously, you'll have more fun that way.

I must say that i do no regret buying my xps, ive had it for about a week, maybe a little longer, great machine, fast, playing WoW with everything turned up at 1920 x 1200 widescreen. I also purchased the dell xps backpack, plenty of room for 3 or 4 books and plently of supplies.

Bah do not listen to them and get the Laptop.

I have had my XPS2 for 3 or 4 months now and I love it. Infact I have a perfectly fine desktop here and I have not even started it up for months now.

It really depends what you need it for. Myself I like the fact that I have a pretty powerful machine that is portable. With WIFI I can go anywhere in my house and play games, surf, or watch movies and if I want to go over to a friends for some deathmatch action I am not pulling cables and dragging a monitor around. Just pickup and go.

I am not under any illusion that this is a thin/light notebook. It is a gaming maching and I treat it as such. If I were still in school and needed something to take notes with I would either get something lighter with better battery life, or invest $2.50 on a pen and pad of paper (its lighter, thinner and has great battery life)

Spud

Back