xps dude

laxman144

Limp Gawd
i might get the xps gen 2, with the geforce 256mb 7800GTX, 2g ram, 100gb 7,200rpm, 2.13ghz pentium M. everything the highest and the best. would this thing like blow up because its too powerful for a laptop?? heh :D i dont wanna buy something that will overheat alot, and be really unstable? whats your opinion? :eek:

It will not spontaneously combust or anything.
I wouldnt even say it runs very hot.
The bottom get noticeably warm to me but not uncomfortable.
Obviously your threshold for heat my differ from mine

P-M CPUs run relatively cool. P4 laptops will put out much more heat. I think the 7800GTX uses less power than the 6800U so I would assume it puts off a little less heat. The RAM will get pretty warm (bottom, center of the laptop.)

Make sure you get a good coupon deal; it will save you a bunch.

My job just replaced my 17" toshiba with a Dell M170 XPS... this thing doesn't run very hot at all surprisingly. My old dell inspiron runs hotter. It doesn't have the 7800 tho.. just the 6800 Ultra.

I love my XPS!!

You cant go wrong..IMO

but definately look for a coupon:)

yeah its nice to do whatever you are used to doing on a desktop anywhere you want :)

unless you get a fat percentage off coupon, its cheaper to get the stock config on ram/hd and but it from newegg or something.
I play games with the laptop sitting on my lap all the time, never gets too uncomfortable.
look at some pics of it torn apart... very good cooling.

maxxkillaz said:
unless you get a fat percentage off coupon, its cheaper to get the stock config on ram/hd and but it from newegg or something.
I play games with the laptop sitting on my lap all the time, never gets too uncomfortable.
look at some pics of it torn apart... very good cooling.
watch that infertility :eek: :p

While on the subject, to you XPS owners, does the XPS support dual batteries?

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between an XPS and a 9300 other than the lighted LCD cover with customizable inlays that would justify $1000 more for the XPS than a 9300 with the same specs.

The_Mage18 said:
While on the subject, to you XPS owners, does the XPS support dual batteries?

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between an XPS and a 9300 other than the lighted LCD cover with customizable inlays that would justify $1000 more for the XPS than a 9300 with the same specs.

No it doesn't support dual batteries. The main difference between the two is the graphics card and the P-M 2.26 isn't available yet for the 9300. To upgrade the video card on the 9300 you will have to have the 9-cell battery instead of the 6-cell and you will have to acquire a 130w power adapter as well as a heatpipe attachment for the video card from Dell. You'll then have to buy a Go 6800 Ultra or Go 7800 GTX and install it. Thats the real difference between the two laptops. If your not a heavy gamer then the 6800 is plenty for casual gaming.

Back