XPS 13 or Yoga 920 or...?

TMCM

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to replace my Surface Pro 3 for another ultrabook and would like some suggestions. Not concerned with gaming at all. Only use it for Office, emails, watching video. I hate typing on the SP3 keyboard if it's more than a short sentence or 2 so I frequently use it hooked up to a docking station. But I need the computer to be thing and light weight because I carry it in my briefcase all the time. I call the SP3 my "portable law office".
Other than the keyboard and track pad sucking I love the little SP3 because it powers on rather quickly when I need to reference something when I'm in court and it's very light weight.

I've been looking at the XPS13 with the new i7 8550 but also found the Yoga 920 with has the same CPU. I would like to stay under $1500 but not abosed to spending another 10%-15% if it gets me significantly more. I would like to stay in the 13-14in screen size.

So how about some suggestions. I alos don't mind waiting another 2-3 months if something ground breaking is about to come out or there is a killer sale.

Comparing the specs at around $1500, I'd say the Yoga 920 gets you slightly more for the money (ignoring the i7 8550U since they both have it):

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-900-series/Yoga-920-13-inch/p/88YG9000859 <-- The Platinum Silver for $1550 gets you a 1920x1080 display, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, and a 70WHr battery

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...-xps-13/spd/xps-13-9360-laptop/cax13w10p2c753 <-- $1600 gets you an 3200x1800 display, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, and a 60WHr battery

If you're comfortable with only 8GB of RAM (likely non-upgradeable), the Yoga gets you more storage and a bigger battery that will probably last longer since the display is "only" 1080p for $50 less.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
After more research it looks like this is a common question. I'll just need to go to a store to check them both out in person

Wife's laptop is on the fritz so unfortunately it's something I gotta do in the next few weeks :(She's going to get my SP3

I've got the 1 gen back XPS 13 (not latest 8xxx) and it's great. Of course it's not my gaming machine, just emails, spreadsheets, powerpoints and wordpress / webdoodads but the build quality is great, screen is great, formfactor and portability, aces - the only niggle I have is the weird ass webcam location (which I use only once in a blue moon anyway, so not a big deal). I also have a prior gen Lenovo Yoga in the office and can't say anything negative about that either. It really comes down to getting your hands on both and seeing which one you like better. The Yoga (at least the orange one we have) is mostly if not all metal, while the XPS seems to be more carbonfiber / resin-y so if the aesthetics matter to you there's that.

How do like typing on the yoga vs the xps? I hate using the keyboard on my sp3
I've got the 1 gen back XPS 13 (not latest 8xxx) and it's great. Of course it's not my gaming machine, just emails, spreadsheets, powerpoints and wordpress / webdoodads but the build quality is great, screen is great, formfactor and portability, aces - the only niggle I have is the weird ass webcam location (which I use only once in a blue moon anyway, so not a big deal). I also have a prior gen Lenovo Yoga in the office and can't say anything negative about that either. It really comes down to getting your hands on both and seeing which one you like better. The Yoga (at least the orange one we have) is mostly if not all metal, while the XPS seems to be more carbonfiber / resin-y so if the aesthetics matter to you there's that.

I know you said you just ordered the XPS13 from Costco, and that is a really good deal, but you can get it for a little bit less on their outlet site.
I just did a quick glance, and it looks to be the same (you need to verify) but it came to $1,232 before tax with free shipping.

You also get 3% back in Dell rewards if you sign up for their free Advantage rewards program. It takes a few weeks for it to hit, but it would basically give you $37 to spend on something else.

None the less, it is a great laptop and a good deal no matter which you go with.

Happy Holidays!!
§

Reactions: TMCM
like this
thanks for the heads up. I might have missed the sale because I only see them at full price. Cost-co was quick to ship cause I'm typing this on my XPS13 right now!!! this thing is snappy compared to my SP3

thanks for the heads up. I might have missed the sale because I only see them at full price. Cost-co was quick to ship cause I'm typing this on my XPS13 right now!!! this thing is snappy compared to my SP3
That's a killer deal! I'd jump on it myself if I wasn't already in love with the 2018 version of the XPS 13.

That's a killer deal! I'd jump on it myself if I wasn't already in love with the 2018 version of the XPS 13.

Yeah I figured with costco's 90 day return policy if the 2018 XPS is killer I can always return mine. But hot damn so far this thing is killer and the "infinity" display really is gorgeous. I like the keyboard and the trackpad on this a good bit better than the SP3s. The big test will be this coming week when I try to watch some videos for work while I am also typing my notes. On my SP3 it would stutter quite a bit if I tried to multi-task

Back