XP64 to Vista Ultimate 64, transfering settings...

koopaGG

2[H]4U
So I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 on my computer on a different partition because it wouldn't allow me to upgrade my installation of XP64. What would be an easy & effective way of transfering my settings to this installation?

Uhmmm... not quite sure what you mean by transferring settings but, because the two OSes are so effectively different, it's probably best to start from scratch with the new OS - meaning Vista x64 of course - and just running with it.

There's no really reliable way to just "move" things over from one OS to another in Windows. In OSX, or Linux distros it's relatively easy to "move" directories or things because they tend to be centralized, but the downside of Windows (and also a strength, actually) is the Registry itself and all the stuff left in it when an application is set up.

At one time there were several utilities like AlohaBob and a few others, but in testing those types of "move your installation" apps it was primarily focusing on moving stuff from one machine to another while still using the same OS. Vista x64 and XP x64 are two entirely different beasts in almost all respects, so again my advice stands: it's best to just start over from scratch and do things fresh.

Realistically - unless you purposely want to keep both OSes on the same hard drive but different partitions - it would probably be even better to back up the personal data and files on the XP x64 partition and then wipe that entire hard drive clean and let Vista either have all the space or partition it out once again. But the idea is to get rid of the previous OS (unless you want that dual boot setup) and just work with Vista x64 now.

The choice is yours...

Considering Vista x64 is a new install, I'd back my data up, wipe the drives clean and install Vista x64 only.

Back