XP64 INSTALL...dual boot?

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
I assume (hmm...) that by booting from the XP64 cd, that it will "see" my XP Pro install and automatically set up a dual boot? Or am I going to have to manually configure the boot.ini?

I figure I am going to dual boot for a bit until I can get some software for my tv tuner card...everything else I have covered as far as video, sound, mobo, and ethernet... :D

TheRapture said:
I assume (hmm...) that by booting from the XP64 cd, that it will "see" my XP Pro install and automatically set up a dual boot? Or am I going to have to manually configure the boot.ini?

I figure I am going to dual boot for a bit until I can get some software for my tv tuner card...everything else I have covered as far as video, sound, mobo, and ethernet... :D

RTFM :p

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx
"Back up your data and settings. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition requires a "clean installation," meaning the contents of your hard drive will be erased during the installation."

MeanieMan said:
RTFM :p

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx
"Back up your data and settings. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition requires a "clean installation," meaning the contents of your hard drive will be erased during the installation."

...that I knew, it formats the partition/drive during install....however, I have set aside a partition on my 200gb drive just for XP64... :D Now if the install wipes the partition table, that would be another problem altogether and I would want to kill someone... :)

Well...we will see...with the final Beta (which was quite good BTW) it did not properly set up the boot.ini and I "lost" my XP32 install until I manually edited the file...

Really? Did your boot.ini have anything wierd in it? Were we across different disks? Was it to the same partition or a different partition? That shouldn't have happened.

Ranma_Sao said:
Really? Did your boot.ini have anything wierd in it? Were we across different disks? Was it to the same partition or a different partition? That shouldn't have happened.

Problem was minor. The dual boot config was there, it just had a 0 sec. delay and launched in XP64 immediately. I just swapped the lines for the default OS and set the time to longer....

Running XP32 and Xp64 dual boot happily. I would stay in XP64 more except ICQ and MSN Messenger are not working yet...they can't "see" the internet connection and log on properly, working on it....

TheRapture said:
Problem was minor. The dual boot config was there, it just had a 0 sec. delay and launched in XP64 immediately. I just swapped the lines for the default OS and set the time to longer....

Running XP32 and Xp64 dual boot happily. I would stay in XP64 more except ICQ and MSN Messenger are not working yet...they can't "see" the internet connection and log on properly, working on it....

I don't have the released version yet, but RC2 didn't do this at all. I had/have W2K on my first partition of my primary (PATA(0)) drive and installed WXP x64 on the second partition on the same drive. WXP x64 added itself to the boot.ini file with no problems. Are you saying that the behavior changed in between RC 2 and final? Is there any way of repeating this error?

Back