XP32bit to XP64bit

Bugster

2[H]4U
Is it possible to do an in-place install/upgrade from an xp32bit (SP2) to the XP64bit? Or will this require a full reinstall?

I'm not sure on the possibility, but in my opinion, if you're switching from a 32bit OS to a 64 bit one, you should wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install. Despite the fact they are both XP, they are really two completely different OSes, with two completely different kernels.

damn, i guess i'll stick to 32bit then. Takes too long to reinstall.

:confused:

Oh well, I reformat Windows XP 32-bit once every 6 months anyway. I guess I'm used to it. There is nothing as refreshing as the feeling of a perfectly clean slate..

One more thing: XP x64 takes longer to install than XP 32-bit, in my experience. It is also quite interesting, as I get to build programs with the x64 compiler, and play around with things, however, for me, the drivers were too flaky.

And even without using a drive imaging program, which wouldn't help in this situation, it wouldn't take much longer than the upgrade install anyway.

If you factor in the upgrade install time, then reloading drivers, then testing out apps and removing any that don't function, you aren't saving anything over just doing a clean install. Most people, especially those on a power users forum, would much rather have a clean, stable system, rather than save a few extra minutes.

Back