XP2400-M overclock, record and first to 3GHz??

well then, time to sign up i guess?? ;)

Abit NF7
Prometia Mach 1(stock r134a gas)
IQZFA0348TPMW

oh, with a phase-changer, I'm not really that impressed anymore. That's basically just buying your overclock. I think my skill, not my wallet should determine whether I am record worthy or not.

not that it isnt impressive and all, but I could buy dual 2GHz opterons and water-cooling for that kind of money...

whatever you say man..

the chip does 2.7GHz with air cooling stable: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7570816 that right there is record AMD XP/9800 Pro ON AIR. dont say anything about skill or anything there. it's not easy getting close to these speeds.

and not everyone can overclock a cpu just becuase they got a prometia.

Very nice, anyone know what the Pentium equal is?

By the way... because I'm considering a mobile chip, any recommendations 2400 vs 2500 vs 2600? I plan on sticking with my NF7-s but might consider changing ram and heatsink.

Originally posted by boshi
I think my skill, not my wallet should determine whether I am record worthy or not.

I love how now there is "skill" in a hardware driven hobby. I'm glad my experience gives me that extra 200mhz over that new kid who just bought a NF7-S and a JIUHB.

Save the animosity. It's not a sport.

ALSO: They stated - first to achieve on an athlon mobile. Ive seen a handfull of LN2/DIY-Phase 3ghz clocks on VR Zone, with non-mobile chips. I have to say these seem pretty tempting. I may have to pick one up. I know how tough it was to hit 2.8ghz with my 2100+ AIUHB way back when. It would be nice to hit 3ghz, and 2.7-3 stable. With that much headroom, brings a smile to my face.

Does it do 24 hours of prime95 at 3GHz ?

I'm too lazy to register on some "other" forum ;)

Originally posted by __Maad__
Does it do 24 hours of prime95 at 3GHz ?

I'm too lazy to register on some "other" forum ;)

I doubt it. Most WCPUID screenies are just that, screen shots. Though I bet if it's backed off a bit, depending on cooling, they could bench it around.

I think weve beaten the dead horse of the limits of this process/revision of the XP. It tends to be around 2.7-2.9ghz. Very few before these mobiles have had 24/7 XP's above the 2.7ghz mark. Most of those that I know have 410, 404a or CO2 DIY-phase.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD BATMAN!!
Thats @#!@ cool!
I wonder if it's Prime stable, it looks to be stable @ 2.7
--EDIT--
Okay I've been reading the other forum
nah, it's not Prime stable. my max OC screenshot is 3076. that one was just good for a screenshot..
-Stang Man

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
Nuts...

but... I wont be impressed until someone manages to double over a stock AMD clockspeed. :p

It's been done for a while: http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/TBred/

Scan down to the 1700+ screenies. The top honor for the 1700+'s is even just Prommie cooling, of course no listed mods, so it goes without mention it may be an R404a Prommie.

Originally posted by boshi
oh, with a phase-changer, I'm not really that impressed anymore. That's basically just buying your overclock. I think my skill, not my wallet should determine whether I am record worthy or not.

Um.... it's not a competition. He got good clocks with an xp-m and a prometia and is letting people know. If it were race and you wanted to run a go-cart that would be YOUR problem. In short... don't make things a "who's stick is bigger? contest" with no stick. I'd rather see cheap chips on good cooling than EE's and FX's as skill.

Congrats fellow CT resident...Nice Job

Seriously guys, I don't care what you say, There absolutley is a level of skill involved in xtreme ocing...maybe not on air, but when you start getting involved in pelt/wcing/phase change, there certainly is. And I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Stang is a lot more skilled than almost everybody on this forum...including myself.

Hey Stang, when did you get ahold of a phase change unit? Or have you always had one and I never saw it at xtreme? Anyways good job man.

Is that all air 3dmark with the wonderful CT air (0C) or is it room temp? Also, what cooling is that on the 9800 pro as I got one coming soon and am hoping to join the 22-23k club as my chip is definetly up to it with the window open and my mushkin is more than willing to oblige.

Props, thats the first non a64 amd ive seen beat my old system (single channel) in the lobby's by more than a few percentage points.

(typing with a broken arm and 1 hand sucks majorly)

computerpro3, i am being lent the prometia from a friend for a few months, he wanted to see what the chip can do under a prometia. the 3dmark was done in my garage with an ambient temperature of 30F (-1C??)

here is the cooling on the graphics card:

9800P_angle.JPG

also, the 3dmark was done in Single Channel. With dual channel at those speeds, Lobby Low would have been a good 5-7FPS more and Lobby High about 2-3FPS more. This would have resulted in around 100-200 point increase.

Man, that stuff kind of scares me (graphics card cooler). I'd be constently worried that it would snap the GPU or something off.
Awesome job Stag!

Originally posted by texuspete00
Um.... it's not a competition. He got good clocks with an xp-m and a prometia and is letting people know. If it were race and you wanted to run a go-cart that would be YOUR problem. In short... don't make things a "who's stick is bigger? contest" with no stick. I'd rather see cheap chips on good cooling than EE's and FX's as skill.
Amen, It always botherss me when people say to me "oh yeah, my <insert 4 figure rig here> can beat your 1700+ @ 2ghz because I bought a pentium 4EE and a radeon9800xt (not to dis on the XT's, but I don't have the money for them)

</rant>

I was impressed until I saw the prommie. Oh well... Still cool, I guess. :)

hey stang how far do you think i can get wiff the 2400+ mobile using my 2700 hyper-x ram? and a thermalright sk-7 heatsink

Good job man. Most impressive. Pretty beefy overclock you've got there.

Regardless of what you guys think, there is skill involved in maximizing what you get out of your cooling, regardless of what it is. The dedication to mounting a heatsink over and over again until you get the best results, etc.... is a major factor in top overclocks.

Its just a matter of the luck of the draw.....if you get a great CPU, you will get a great OC.

Anybody can tweak FSB speeds, voltages and cooling options....its not rocket science.

true but see, the thing isd, thats what YOU and most people do...stang does a lot more than that.

I'd bet a lotta money that if you give him and you the exact same parts, he would sweep you in any bench. He just is willing to take more calculated risks (vmods/pelts), be persistent, and has a vast amount of knowledge.

After all, I don't see anyone else with a non 64 bit AMD 23k on air...do you?

stang, do you run those volts on the vid card all the time or only for benching? If only for benching, whats a good limit for that kind of cooling (I'm trying to decide to do a copper 1u mod, intel stock heatsink/panaflo mod, or stay with the vga silencer till i finish my water setup)

Originally posted by computerpro3
stang, do you run those volts on the vid card all the time or only for benching? If only for benching, whats a good limit for that kind of cooling (I'm trying to decide to do a copper 1u mod, intel stock heatsink/panaflo mod, or stay with the vga silencer till i finish my water setup)

i run 1.9V all the time, and go up to 2.1V (at max) when i need to for benching.

Originally posted by Stang Man
ok, whatever

i'd like to see what "all" you guys can do.. can you even match what i've done on air cooling??

I'm gonna have to agree with the original statement here. Sure, I couldn't give my dad a prommie and a bunch of parts and say "here dad, OC!", but with a mediocre amount of knowledge, "anyone" can.

REGARDLESS of that however, the numbers your rig puts down are DAMN impressive, and it really doesn't matter HOW you got them, the fact is it's fast, and that's the bottom line.

Well how come MAcci is the only guy to break 10000 (which no one has but him) in 3d mark if everyone can do it with the same stuff? There is lots of skill involved in ocing, stang man did a fantastic job with this oc and you all should be giving him more credit for having the balls to attempt it and succeed in doing so.

Stang, pay no mind to the "anyone can do that with phase-change" crowd. In a hobby where the luck of the draw when you buy hardware is the most important component of success, the best overclockers are the ones that give themselves the biggest advantage.
I don't understand this lame "you bought yourself an overclock with phase-change." What's worse, building yourself a phase-change unit, or buying super expensive pc-4000 ram.

Originally posted by Jonsey
Stang, pay no mind to the "anyone can do that with phase-change" crowd. In a hobby where the luck of the draw when you buy hardware is the most important component of success, the best overclockers are the ones that give themselves the biggest advantage.
I don't understand this lame "you bought yourself an overclock with phase-change." What's worse, building yourself a phase-change unit, or buying super expensive pc-4000 ram.

Saying that buying a phase change unit doesn't make oc'ing to higher speeds easier makes just as much sense as saying "but look what I can do on AIR!" when you've got a 92mm tornado blowing on your cpu. Sure it's air cooled, but your computer sounds like a jet engine. Sure, with phase change you have to deal with condensation, and it's marginally more difficult than a regular HSF setup to set-up, but it certainly does allow for higher overclocks. But like I said in my original post, respect goes out for having a fast rig no matter *how* you do it(as long as it's stable and can be/is run for long periods of time. If you use LN2 cooling, but can do it for hours at a time, more power to you :p)

well than...look what I can do on air with as panaflo 80mm L1a and a dead silent rig (results in sig)!!! I can also do basic windows stuff at 3.8ghz but not much.

lol j/k...phase change takes skill...Stangs rig takes serious skill + time

Back