XP x64 pukes when resuming from standby/hibernation

GushpinBob

2[H]4U
I'm having an issue with a freshly installed copy of Windows XP Pro x64 Edition concerning hibernation and standby. Going into either mode is no problem but when I resume all I get is my desktop background with a frozen cursor pasted to it. If I am lucky I can get to the Welcome screen and enter my password then it will decide to freeze up. :mad:

What's funny is that it wasn't a problem a couple of days ago when I just installed it. I do want to mention that I am using up to date drivers for the chipset, graphics card, wifi, and sound (all which were integrated with nLite before install sans the sound driver). The x64 Service Pack 2 was integrated as well, but post-SP2 hotfixes have been installed separately within three hours after installing XP x64. The system was OCed in the beginning but even with the factory clock speeds and voltages reinstated I still cannot resume properly. Bios happens to be on the latest available version right now

My system specifications:
Abit KN8 Ultra NVidia Nforce4 Ultra motherboard
AMD Athon 64 X2 4200 Manchester Socket 939 (now clocked back at factory 2.2GHz)
Antec 550W NeoPower PSU
2 GB Kingston DDR 400 RAM (will push it to 4 in near future ;))
EVGA 7800GTX with 256MB RAM
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card
320GB SATA 3.0GB/s WD 7200.11 RPM hard drive
NEC 16X DVD+-RW drive

Edit: Sorry, I have another question. Is there any software out there that I could install to track whatever is causing these freeze ups? Something more detailed than Windows' built-in Event Viewer as it doesn't give enough details on what is being loaded/unloaded.
Thank in advance for your suggestions and help. :)

anybody? :(

Oh, I forgot to mention that the wireless card is a DLink DWA-552 Xtreme-N PCI card (using the latest atheros 64bit drivers since that card is atheros based).

Nobody?!
58 views and not one peep? :confused:

So far I've tried reinstalling critical drivers such as chipset, graphics, sound, and networking but I'm still cannot resume from standby or hibernation. What do I have to do? Reinstalling the OS is the LAST option on the table.

Don't be afraid to ask for any info that I could've forgotten to post.

Alter the power settings in the BIOS, a lot of times modifying from S1 to S3 state can fix issues for some people, as can going from S3 to S1. It's weird, but nothing is a sure-fire solution, it's all basically try this, nope, try that, nope, keep trying, ok, this works, done.

thanks for your response Joe Average. Unfortunately, I've already tried the S3 to S1 trick in the BIOS and XP x64 still locks up upon resume.

Is their anyway I could reinstall any ACPI related components in Windows without reformatting and starting over? (Do I have to perform a repair install for that?)

Locking on resume is a pretty good sign there's a device or a driver with issues.

What attached devices are on the machine? Any external HDs? Web Cams? stuff like that?

If you've got a bunch of external devices over USB / 1394 / Serial (don't laugh) try unplugging them and seeing if the machine comes back.

Nope. Detached all external devices down to nothing but the keyboard and disabled the network and sound and I am still having problems.

HOWEVER, a couple of days ago I made a trial install of Windows Server Enterprise 2003 x64 Edition on a separate hard drive (Thanks to MSDNAA ;)). I would like to mention that like the XP x64 disc the 2k3 install disc was also nLited with nvidia chipset and video drivers along with SP2 (I can't believe I did not mention this in my first post). Well, I've just tested that install a couple of minutes ago and sure enough, same problem.

I would like to add that about a month ago, I did a trial install of XP x64 on a separate hard drive when I was running the regular old XP Pro 32-bit edition as my main OS. The catch is that this disc was nlited to SP1 (I think) without the addition of nvidia chipset or video drivers (which I installed post-install). XP x64 resumed from hibernation/standby without hesitation.

So it looks like that either:
A. My system isn't ready for any Windows Server 2k3 x64 based SP2 yet.
B. (Most Likely) nLiting the chipset and video drivers was a bad idea, giving me a borked install from the start.

Either way, it looks like I have no other option than to reinstall with a disc that hasn't been tampered with nLite. :( Thanks for your help and suggestions, though.

If after all that you're still having issues with ACPI functionality (that controls sleep/standby/hibernate) it's a driver issue. If even one driver in the system isn't 100% ACPI compatible the entire subsystem will fail, and troubleshooting the issues can be something that simply drives you up the proverbial fucking wall with the attempt. The issue is you can have enough support where Windows will allow the driver to work just fine in terms of it being functional - no yellow exclamation points in Device Manager - but the actual ACPI aspects don't hit on all cylinders.

Wish I could tell you there's an easy way to fix it, but there isn't. In the past, I've had to do complete reinstalls multiples times on machines with an oddball mix of newer and older drivers until I landed on the "magic" mix that suddenly allowed everything to work, including all the sleep/standby/hibernate stuff as well.

Of course, that always gets fucked up as soon as the owner decided he needs to update the drivers for some given device then suddenly it's all broken again.

Good luck, regardless...

Thanks again. I've decided to make a trial install with a regular XP x64 disc and a spare drive and will install software, drivers and updates one by one to see what causes the issue. I really do wish there was some tool that gave some verbose logging on what drivers/software is causing problems during suspend and resume. I've used Event Viewer, but unfortunately that didn't pick any oddities up.

Back