XP x63 edition or Server 2003 x64 edition?

MortalSyn

Weaksauce
My dual opteron 244 will be ariving here in a couple of days and I am deciding what I should be installing on it: Windows Pro 64 bit or Server 2003 x64 bit. There is a one year d/l on the MS site for Server 2003 x64, and I have an academic license to XP Pro 64 so it doesn't matter either way.

Basically I will be using this to crunch numbers and I am also using going to be using this as a server for a java based compute engine which may service up to maybe 100 machines. I am assuming that XP wont be limiting the amount of RMI connections I can have so does it matter either way which one I should install?

Thanks,
RDL

I tried the free download of xp-64, and while it seemed to be stable for the few days i was running it, i just had to drop down to plain old xp. Things like programs (32bit) such as doom3 not seeing xp-64 as windows xp and not letting you run the program got old fast. What good is a 64bit os when most everythign you run is still 32bit and dosnt work right under the 64 bit os?

All the x64 Windows OSes are from the same code base Win2k3-SP1, so from that point, one is not better than the other. Both are beta, so be careful about using them for anything critical at this point. As for the number of connection, I know there are IIS limitations on XP, but I'm unsure offhand if there is any such restriction on XP-x64.

Frosty:
Right now the x64 drivers out there are not very mature, and are not available for some hardware, other than that though you shouldn't be having issues.

You said that Doom3 wouldn't install. While support for old 16bit programs was removed, that should not affect such a recent program (not even the installer). Since an x64 version of XPpro is going to show up as version 5.2 (the same version as Windows 2003 Server), maybe the installer just doesn't think it's a supported OS. From my experience, every 32bit app I've installed on x64 Windows has worked without issue. Of course, I don't make a habit of installing games on company systems though.

[MS] said:
You said that Doom3 wouldn't install. While support for old 16bit programs was removed, that should not affect such a recent program (not even the installer). Since an x64 version of XPpro is going to show up as version 5.2 (the same version as Windows 2003 Server), maybe the installer just doesn't think it's a supported OS. From my experience, every 32bit app I've installed on x64 Windows has worked without issue. Of course, I don't make a habit of installing games on company systems though.

Thats pretty much exactally what happened.

Steel Chicken said:
there was a hack to make doom3 work correctly

Does this hack just modify doom3 to work, or all applications that may have the same problem?

Back