Xp wont install on pre-vista install computer

im having trouble installing xp on a vista pre installed. I can boot from cd but it wont get to the screen where it loads the windows drivers. It's a asus p5gc-mx/1333 mobo with a segate 250 sata drive.

Is your XP CD pre-SP1, SP1, SP2 or SP3? Make sure it is at least SP1.

Is AHCI enabled in the BIOS? If yes, and you want AHCI, you will need AHCI drivers on a floppy, or you need to slipstream them into your XP CD. Alternatively, you can disable AHCI in the BIOS.

Some new boxes are hardlocked to AHCI so you NEED to use a floppy or slipstream the driver.

"I can boot from cd but it wont get to the screen where it loads the windows drivers"

Whats on the screen when it stops?

It's stuck on the screen right before it copies the windows files. And the screen is black.

so do you get to the point where you partition the drive? Have you ran a memtest? Can you try booting a live cd?

I can load windows 7 fine, no I can't get to the partition screen . It gets stuck at the checking hardware screen right before it's suppose to load windows driver.

The only time I've personally had the XP install app hang on me before getting to the "press F8" screen is when I had a bad CD or CD/DVD-Rom. If it were an issue of ACHI vs IDE, I think you'd at least get to the point of trying to partition (or to the point where it would tell you it cannot find a hard drive).

If it were an issue of ACHI vs IDE, I think you'd at least get to the point of trying to partition (or to the point where it would tell you it cannot find a hard drive).
Good point.

OP,

To test your CD, you can attempt an install in a virtual machine. If you get the same error, you obviously have a problem with the CD.

where can I get the achi drivers in inf format so I can slip them in nlite. I went to intel but only see the exe file

when i open it with 7zip it just starts the installation process.... i really need help in trying to find the achi inf file

or, run it, and don't install but leave the setup window open, and look in your temp folder for a weird named folder, the contents will be in there. It helps to clear out the temp folder first. temp folder should be %TEMP%

well im on windows 7 so it says this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software setup will now exit

so you have to look in there while its running cuz it deletes the files when it's done. You can try running it in compatibility mode and make it think it's XP. Don't actually install it tho! just get at least TO the install wizard, then go look around in there.

I don't see AHCI IN BIOS.

I think this is your manual:

http://www.adax.pl/download/instrukcje/plyty_glowne-asus_P5GC_MX_1333.pdf

Look at pages 2-16 and 2-17. Enhanced IDE may be code for AHCI.

I installed XP on my Windows 7 / Vista computer a couple weeks ago (on it's own drive). With AHCI it went through bios startup reporting, then stopped with a blank screen with the CD in. I thought the ISO image CD I created was defective. Turned off AHCI and it installed, but on the first reboot in the install it reported no hard drive was present. Long story short, I had to get the Intel Matrix driver on a floppy and do the driver install (F6 I think) on install. Went fine after that. I think I still had to do the Matrix Driver Install in XP to turn on AHCI after XP was installed and running. A real PITA compared to Vista and Win 7 installs...

I checked the support page for your motherboard.
It supports XP but there is no driver for AHCI. This tells me there is no AHCI on your motherboard.

Why do you think there is?

Are you sure your XP CD is OK?

Back