XP woes...

jbmx4life

2[H]4U
Well after my g/f let her friends 14 y/o daughter on our main computer this past weekend, this thing is totally f'd up. I can't boot from the Win XP cd and half of the time I couldn't even get into Win XP. I hooked my HDD up to another computer in the house and got the "Repair Install" started and then moved it back to the broken machine. In light of that, I have a ton of stuff on the desktop (I know st00pid me for leaving it there and being lazy) but I was wondering if there is a way to recover it if I hook the hard drive up to another machine again. Right now I am on the broken machine but I can't "drag-n-drop" or "copy->paste" ANYTHING! No open windows minimize to the taskbar and some programs don't even work anymore. Basically I am just looking to get my crap off of the desktop so I can format the OS partition and start over (again).

TIA

I would try plugging the drive in another machine in a non primary position and try to copy the data off.

Keith

Really sounds screwed up...
Reformatting would probably be better, but you could try running sfc /scannow and getting the OS usable again to copy data off.

I would try plugging the drive in another machine in a non primary position and try to copy the data off.

Keith

Yeah that is exactly what I am trying to do but I need to know where to find the files that are located on the desktop since I won't be directly on that desktop.

Yeah, i'd probably try the same. So, what exactly happens if you copy and file and try to paste it to a flash drive or something?

When I try to "copy-paste" I can right click and get the "copy" part of it but when I go to "paste" it somewhere, the "paste" option is greyed out.

Really sounds screwed up...
Reformatting would probably be better, but you could try running sfc /scannow and getting the OS usable again to copy data off.

I am looking to format and reload but I wanna get my files off of it first. I am doubting sfc /scannow because I went thru a "repair Install" and that did nothing (actually made it worse!).

Thanks for the offered help so far!

... but I need to know where to find the files that are located on the desktop since I won't be directly on that desktop.
C:\Documents and Settings\UserAccountName\Desktop

Substitute the appropriate drive letter and account name, of course.

If the user account under the previous installation has been made 'Private' you may need to set administrative permissions to get access for copying files etc. If some form of encryption has been used on the files you're basically stuffed!

C:\Documents and Settings\UserAccountName\Desktop

Substitute the appropriate drive letter and account name, of course.

If the user account under the previous installation has been made 'Private' you may need to set administrative permissions to get access for copying files etc. If some form of encryption has been used on the files you're basically stuffed!

Awesome!!! I got everything that I needed and got the system formatted and reloaded. All is well now. Thank you guys for all your help! I greatly appreciate the [H] community!

Back