XP, Vista, Win 7, or... Ubuntu for wireless stability in HTPC?

rpeters83

Gawd
I posted this here since not many stream from their HTPC their content from a NAS.

I have the WUSB600N (dual band 802.11N) and it seems that Windows (at least so far) is having an issue with this usb wifi adapter when it scans for networks. I'm using Ralink drivers and the 60-second background scan is gone but randomly i'll have drops. It seems perhaps that if the wireless signal drops below a certain point, windows will scan for networks.

THE PROBLEM IS, the behavior of the dongle and windows. When it scans, it takes 3000 ms, which causes streaming content to sputter.

Does anyone know if this may be solved by switching from Vista to another OS? I have a copy of XP pro, and i may consider the Win 7 RC (though i'd be force to upgrade in a year). Or...should I try linux? Can anyone relate to this behavior of wireless dongles and timeouts when scanning? thanks.

I know this involves some exspense but you might want to consider a electrical outlet Ethernet adapter and go hardwire. You'll not have to worry about WiFi issues and drivers ever again.

So, set the AP/info/etc manually, connect, and then disable Wireless Zero Configuration and that stops Windows from managing the interface. Connect with all the proper settings then disable WZC, no more scanning.

That's what I do, at least. If I'm at home there's no reason for it to constantly be scanning so I connect then disable the service, no more issues, and I can get weeks of use from my laptop's 11g wireless to my wireless router without a disconnect, even when I set the wireless card to work at the lowest power settings. In essence I create a "static" connection that doesn't change, there's no reason for it to do that.

But as heatless hinted at, wireless is simply not a confirmed/locked-in/constant bandwidth, it's impossible. It doesn't matter if the two devices were an inch apart, the speed and the connection will always fluctuate, it's one of the downsides of the very nature of wireless.

thanks for the replies. i'm asking because it's the only wireless N client that has this behavior with this USB adapter. My sony laptop with the intel 5100agn works flawlessly.

i tried this same USB in another machine and it exhibits the same behavior, so it must be an issue with this dongle. my other wireless G usb dongle does the same behavior, but only on one of the machines (both vista, different computers). weird.

can this be verified depending on whether the adapter is connected via usb or internal? thanks.

also, can anyone recommend a good/cheap powerline ethernet adapter, since i can't wire cable from my server upstairs to my tv downstairs. thanks again,

Last edited:
Instead of using USB why not get an actual PCI wireless card? The behavior seems to be related to the USB adapters or at least the USB ports.

It cost you nothing to try linux, but don't be surprised if you have to use ndiswrapper for that nic.

can't use a pci card (only supports pci-e). no dual-band nics for that interface.

i'm trying to avoid ndiswapper.

when a laptop has an internal wireless card, is it attached via usb or another interface? thanks.

Back