XP/VISTA/UBUNTU

jratzo

Limp Gawd
Ok so first I had XP installed and then I installed Vista. Everything worked fine so I decided to install ubuntu as well. To do this I repartitioned the vista partition. After I did all this and ubuntu and xp work perfectly fine, but vista is giving me an error. If I try to reinstall vista in the same partition will that screw up my boot loader? I am using the grub boot loader and then from that choosing the vista boot loader where I can choose between XP and VISTA.

Thanks

Ok so first I had XP installed and then I installed Vista. Everything worked fine so I decided to install ubuntu as well. To do this I repartitioned the vista partition. After I did all this and ubuntu and xp work perfectly fine, but vista is giving me an error. If I try to reinstall vista in the same partition will that screw up my boot loader? I am using the grub boot loader and then from that choosing the vista boot loader where I can choose between XP and VISTA.

Thanks

Yeah, if you reinstall Vista it will kill grub.

Try this. Boot from your XP install CD and when prompted, choose to save the partition that Vista is installed... re-boot and you should be good to go...

Don't ask me why it works, but it has for me in the past... Good luck...

Oh... sorry, I guess that was pretty vague...

Boot from your Windows XP cd, enter setup and find the partition that Vista is installed on and select it from the list. Choose to leave the current file system intact. Now reboot and put your Vista DVD in.. after a few restarts, you should be fine.

Hope it helps...

Your best bet is probably to boot from the Vista DVD and let Vista repair its bootloader, and then boot from the Ubuntu LiveDVD and fix Grub.

Your best bet is probably to boot from the Vista DVD and let Vista repair its bootloader, and then boot from the Ubuntu LiveDVD and fix Grub.

Your probably right... I was assuming the OP was unable to do a repair install...... I think I probably misread his post.....

Back