Xp/Vista Dual Boot

scottrill2

n00b
Wanted some advice please,

I am currently running XP Pro, and still need XP pro for some business applications I use. But one GDS I use is getting ready to roll out support for Vista and IE 7, so I bought Vista. I will Dual boot of course, but I wanted info on hard drive configuration.

I have two Sata drives one WD raptor, and one plain jane sata 300 drive. I am planning on splitting the raptor into two partitions, one for each OS. But I was wondering if I could use the second hard drive to share a bunch of stuff between vista and XP?

Questions:

Can I set up the 2nd HDD to where Vista and XP share the same document folder, same picture folder, same music folder etc??

What about programs and games? If I made a partition on the 2nd HDD say 50 gig or something, could I then install a game or app there through XP and then install it to the exact same spot through Vista? that way each OS would have the required registry info for the game but I would save space by not installing it to two different locations?

Any help would be appreciated greatly,

Thanks

Scott

You can share data (pics, music, docs etc..) from the second drive with both OS's... but games and programs have registry entries that they need installed on the OS. I'm not saying it's impossible, but your going to be much better off installing them on the OS partition.

ya files will be fine but games and programs the odd small program might work but for the most part no.

If they're sharing the same exact folder, there are going to be conflicts, not least because your HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive is in ntuser.dat in the root of your profile. Maybe best to use independent profiles but set up a separate folder somewhere else to put your documents etc?

Back