XP system headaches...

jbmx4life

2[H]4U
This is my dad's computer. This all started when he was having problems one night with his AT&T/Yahoo DSL and called their tech support service. He couldn't log into his Yahoo Messenger and called them about the password or something. They had him change a bunch of stuff and go into his DSL modem to change settings in there also. After that was all said and done he had trouble connecting to the internet. I went into the modem and checked all of the settings/passwords and made sure that everything was fine, and it was. You could get to the internet upon going through the MS Network diagnostic tool where it keeps showing some green dots while it is working. After restarting, it wouldn't connect again tho. I changed the cable from a network cable to a USB cable and it hooked up right away. Reboot the computer, no more internet. I figured at that time that it had something to do with the computer as he has 2nd computer that connects wirelessly with NO probs. I tried a number of different things and nothing helped. I finally went into system restore and restored to a point before the time he called "tech support" and figured that everything would be fine. WRONG! That just made it worse and now I can't even undo the system restore because system restore won't even come up in a window (it won't start). I figured that I would try to do a repair install then figuring that it would replace whatever files are screwed/corrupted. I can't even do that now. I am able to boot from the XP CD and it will run throught the first part where it says it is loading all of the stuff on the bottom of the screen. After that the screen goes blank and it just sits there. That's it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get this done before I go for surgery next Wednesday.

Thanks,
J

When you say "I am able to boot from the XP CD and it will run throught the first part where it says it is loading all of the stuff on the bottom of the screen. After that the screen goes blank and it just sits there." does it get to any of the options such as Repair, Install ect...? It's possible there may be a problem with the disk if it doesn't. Do you have another disk you can try?

Nope it doesn't get to the "Install, Repair, Recovery Console" screen. I do have another disk that I could try. I haven't tried as of yet but I am planning on it very soon here.

Can you try to point where you are by look at pics on here?

Take out the CD and check for finger prints, scratches etc. Clean it with a fine cloth carefully put it back in.

Image 1.1 (Windows Setup) screen is as far as I get. I never make it to Image 1.2 (Welcome to Setup) never appears. It goes black after it is done loading all of the files in Image 1.1.

Hardware failure, if I had to just random guess, it's bad Ram... (Or a bad CD)

That is where the loader is handing off to the kernel...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hardware failure, if I had to just random guess, it's bad Ram... (Or a bad CD)

That is where the loader is handing off to the kernel...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Will test the RAM and use a different CD. Will report back later.

sounds like the mobos popped to me.

Yep. I would bet close physical inspection would reveal one or more bulging/leaking capacitors. :(

After a complete visual inspection, there are no bulging or leaking caps to speak of.

Here are the system specs:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 3.0C w/ stock cooler
1GB (2*512mb) Kingston HyperX PC4000
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
120GB Western Digital main HDD IDE
3*160GB Western Digital other HDD's IDE
Thermaltake 480w PSU

Back