XP SP3 on Torrents

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by markt435, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markt435

markt435 [H]ardness Supreme

comments that its legit....thinkin about downloading it........................hmmmmmmmm lol

and if you're wondering, yes its english-only.

EDIT: Download at your own risk since its an unofficial source.

link removed
    -odoe

2. abudhu

abudhu [H]ard|Gawd

Or just wait 1 week.

--
    Though, oddly enough I haven't seen it on our Technet/MSDN yet. *Rubs chin*

3. markt435

yeah i am wondering about that as well. i may wait. though i've been really itching to do a new nlite disc :p

or i'll dump it altogether and throw ubuntu 8.04 on here. meh

4. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

When it comes to Service Packs, I'll stick to trusted sources only. Call me crazy, but I don't need to take those kinds of chances.

5. mcatrage

mcatrage [H]Lite

Seems like the scene isn't too happy about it either.

6. markt435

dunno if it makes a difference for you but it IS digitally signed...

[​IMG]

i also scanned it with updated Avast as well and found nothing.

7. DeaconFrost

I don't know if a digital signature is something that could be "hacked around" or not. I'm just saying I prefer to play it safe. It will be out soon enough on Microsoft's channels.

8. markt435

probably true. since i don't have anything important on here i'll install the nlite disc i made offline and see what happens. i'll scan for rootkits, viruses, etc when i'm done and report back i suppose. i could wait of course but i'm curious. lol

9. Soujiro

Soujiro Gawd

If the digital signatures are valid, then the file is good to go. So far it's impossible to tamper with authenticode. It's very unlikely someone just renamed an RC2 build since the timestamp is the 13th... but I think I'll wait unitl it shows up on TechNet as well.

10. Smitty

Smitty n00b

It's on Technet now...in the Top Subscriber Downloads area.

11. Soujiro

Soujiro Gawd

No standalone exe yet. :(

12. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

And here I made a post about this sort of thing this morning... geez. I'm surprised this thread has lived as long as it has, actually... but then again, maybe the hammer's about to drop. We'll see what happens...

13. markt435

really? i didn't see it. if its against the rules i'll delete the link or a mod can go ahead and delete it. sorry :(

on another note, scanned the file initially with Avast and it was clean. after the install i scanned once again with Avast and its clean. installed and updated SpybotSD and scanned and the system is clean. so as far as i'm concerned the file is clean.

14. Greggy_D

Greggy_D Limp Gawd

It's a Service Pack for Christ's sake. Not a full blown install of XP with key included. Why would this thread be deleted/locked? There is no piracy involved.

Torrent does not automatically equal illegal.

15. Smitty

Smitty n00b

??? The technet version is in ISO format...just extract WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE from the ISO.

16. Soujiro

Soujiro Gawd

Oh, I thought it was a slipstreamed full windows install disc. My bad.

17. rapperwith1p

rapperwith1p Gawd

It's considered warez because you're not supposed to have it until next week when it's publically available to everyone thus the "leaked" part.

18. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

And the really paranoid can always run 2 hashes on it to compare with the known TechNet version.

19. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldn't install a torrented service pack...then waste your time scanning for malware.

20. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

You don't need to do that. It's trivial to generate and compare the MD5 and SHA-1 hashes against the real thing, and it's a signed binary anyways.

21. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

Even still i'm paranoid enough to wonder if there was some way it was compromised...even though if the hashes match up it should be good to go.

22. Uncomm0n

Uncomm0n n00b

If that's true, then this site is lamer than I thought...:rolleyes:

23. DeaconFrost

Would you prefer if this board allowed warez discussions, and then was shut down because of it? The only eye-rolling to be done, is towards those who haven't grasped this concept yet.

24. Uncomm0n

Uncomm0n n00b

I'm sorry, a service pack being available via BT is NOT warez! But that's just my opinion.

25. DeaconFrost

That's your opinion, but not one that Microsoft shares. It isn't meant for public availability yet. It's also risky to suggest someone download it through a non-official channel, so either way it is risky...but to each his own, I guess.

26. Uncomm0n

Uncomm0n n00b

Yea, I will agree with you that it is risky to get it through non official channels...and I'll just leave it at that.

27. DeaconFrost

I think you have a valid point about that. You could always PM a link to your post to a mod.

28. arik100

arik100 [H]Lite

don't download SP's before they entirely final and released , unless your an advanced user
    there will be problems , and i believe that starting to google the internet isn't what you're looking for

29. cv65user

cv65user Limp Gawd

if i download service pack three, it will cover serivce pack two? so i dont need to get both right

30. markt435

correct

31. Dominat0r

Dominat0r 2[H]4U

it will install on top of SP1 and SP2 i believe.

32. markt435

i added a disclaimer to the original post. never wanted to suggest people go out and download it from there. just the risk takers and the curious i guess lol.

as for it being warez...i have a hard time believing that it is. its not a link to a full OS, just a "patch". there could be some NDA associated with it i guess but i haven't seen anything about such a thing since it IS basically just a patch. but as i said before, if a mod says it is, they can delete the link/thread or direct me to do so.

i think a large majority of the people that post here know what kind of crap is on TPB or ANY other torrent site. so its really no different than telling someone to go search for it if they wanted. i'm not telling anyone to go download it. there is always freedom of choice to do it or not.

33. markt435

not exactly a waste of time. just because i have it scan for malware doesn't mean i can't do something else. i came back and checked on it once in awhile

34. Dominat0r

Dominat0r 2[H]4U

is it a full release version or RC2-RC3?

35. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

I can wait and download it from MS in six days and not have to scan it at all because malware won't be a concern. As mentioned though, if the hashes match then you should be good to go. Also as Joe Average pointed out in another thread there's seems to be two different versions circulating. Personally i'll wait it out.

36. xdivenx

xdivenx [H]ard|Gawd

To anyone who would like to know the legitimacy of this file instead of savagely bickering back and forth about wares and what not, It was clean with NOD32 and after installed, it currently seems to be 100% legit and running fine. Toodles

37. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

I find it sad that 75% of this thread is bitching about the word "torrents" in the title.

If you so adamantly believe that this thread is headed straight to hell, hit the "report post" button and be on your way. Anything beyond that is pointless.

I would much rather see reports of whether or not this is legit, impressions from early adopters, etc.

38. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

Savagely bickering? lol. Slight exaggeration.... it's a discussion.

39. Soujiro

Soujiro Gawd

Torrent exe matches the exe in the Technet iso. It's legit, people.

40. EnderW

EnderW [H]ardForum Junkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.