XP SP2: "Unknown PCI Device"

Something has been bugging me since I reinstalled windows a few months ago. Device manager is showing an "Unknown PCI Device" with the yellow exclamation mark. The only things I have connected to my PCI slots are my x1900xt, x-fi sound card, and a USB 2.0 PCI card to add 2 additional ports. I just reinstalled both my sound card and graphics card driver a couple days ago for a totally unrelated issue, so I know it can't be either of those. What else can it be? A usb expansion card doesn't need a driver does it? It has been working fine this whole time.

I have an M2N32-SLI deluxe mobo, which has a mini-PCI wireless module. I've installed the drivers for that as well.

That means it's on the PCI bus....not necessarily a PCI card. I'd go through your mobo's driver site and your manual to see a list of hardware and find out what isn't installed.

It has been working fine this whole time.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But seriously, as long as it isn't causing problems, I wouldn't sweat about it at all.

Reinstall the chipset drivers. The SMBus driver is notorious for lingering like that.

Sounds like that ol' ASUS ACPI driver issue.

Try to reinstall the driver, and when it asks for the source, put in the ASUS CD that came with the computer and let it search for it.

Something has been bugging me since I reinstalled windows a few months ago. Device manager is showing an "Unknown PCI Device" with the yellow exclamation mark. The only things I have connected to my PCI slots are my x1900xt, x-fi sound card, and a USB 2.0 PCI card to add 2 additional ports. I just reinstalled both my sound card and graphics card driver a couple days ago for a totally unrelated issue, so I know it can't be either of those. What else can it be? A usb expansion card doesn't need a driver does it? It has been working fine this whole time.

I have an M2N32-SLI deluxe mobo, which has a mini-PCI wireless module. I've installed the drivers for that as well.

Sounds like that ol' ASUS ACPI driver issue.

Try to reinstall the driver, and when it asks for the source, put in the ASUS CD that came with the computer and let it search for it.

It's for the Asus monitoring software (PC Probe II).

Install that and it will go away. However it will not cause you problems to leave it as is. I'm not a fan of the PC Probe application anyway.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be an onboard SATA controller that you aren't using. Disable it in BIOS. That will actually speed up your time to POST slightly as well.

Awesome, thanks everyone for the help. I'm pretty sure it's the Asus ACPI. I just wanted to know what the unknown device was. I don't know if I'll install the PC Probe, since my computer is running just fine without it. :D

That's what I was thinking of...

You don't actually have to install it. Just update the driver for the missing device, and point it to the PC Probe II folder. That should do it.

It's for the Asus monitoring software (PC Probe II).

Install that and it will go away. However it will not cause you problems to leave it as is. I'm not a fan of the PC Probe application anyway.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be an onboard SATA controller that you aren't using. Disable it in BIOS. That will actually speed up your time to POST slightly as well.

im having the exact same problem for about 3 months now. Although im using the abit at8 mobo. No idea what it is, everytime i reboot, i get the message that windows wants to look for a driver for an unknown pci device. I have so far been unable to find what this is.

Back