XP - Somehow reverted to new state but files/prgs still there

Rikki

2[H]4U
Hey folks,

One of the woman in the office brought her laptop in after one of her grand kids had been mucking around with it.

It boots up but when Windows loads it goes to a factory standard looking desktop, Norton 2008 pops up saying lets activate and all the crapware shortcuts are on the desktop.

Looking into the Docs and Settings folder I saw that the old useraccount was there along with the new current one :

"christine boag"

and

"christine boag PC178390284" - not exactly but that kinda thing.

I used a Ubuntu live USB key to rename the folders and the PC booted up with her correct desktop and my documents but still all her programs, although listed in Start Menu, do not load - saying they need to be reinstalled.

Any ideas on a quick fix for this type of problem or is she going to have to dig out all her CDs and download stuff again?

Thanks for any advice peeps :)

i think a new install has been made, im guessing there is a windows.old folder?

I think reinstalling all the programs is the best option, and salvage all data/program settings possible.

i think a new install has been made, im guessing there is a windows.old folder?

I think reinstalling all the programs is the best option, and salvage all data/program settings possible.

Windows.Old is for Vista & above only. XP does an overwrite if you install over a prior isntallation.

Nope not a new install, but I think you're right - reinstall is probably quickest option here :(

Back